Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

yikes because Americans don't like being told how to live. I can take your little sermon above and drop you off in Afghanistan and some would say you sound just like the Taliban!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
When unconventional ways are accepted it often leads to ways that are immoral and illegal.

That is why I included the word illegal in my thread title. The criminal element and illegal immigrants are forcing the majority of us to alter our lifestyles and tolerate their unwillingness to abide by the law. The law-abiding majority is being forced to take a back seat to tolerate the minority all in the name of political correctness, diversity, equality, and acceptance.

When this happens there is no equality, only a high amount of leniency given to the people with degenerate or criminal lifestyles. The majority no longer rules and that is purely unacceptable.
Once upon a time, it was illegal for people of different races to marry.
Once upon a time, it was illegal for slaves to run away from their owners, and it was illegal to house and protect them after they ran away.
Once upon a time, only white male land-owners were allowed to vote and/or hold elected office.
Once upon a time, it was illegal for a certain sub-segment of our population to refuse to serve in the military.

In each of these cases, a 'minority' was given rights that had previously been denied.
In each of these cases, there were those who argued that the sanctity of home, hearth and country would be compromised and a 'degenerate' lifestyle embraced (particularly in the first case).

Are you saying that the 'majority' believes that these laws and others like them were/are just and fair?
If so, you have a very interesting way of defining equality.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Your 8 paragraphs of complaints -

1. Business pressure. If there were no jobs for illegal immigrants there'd be no illegal immigrants. You like capitalism, dont you?

2. I think your choices are to demand action from law enforcement, write your congressman, form or join a relevant association, run for office or run/support someone with your views for office, or take the law into your own hands. You're not helpless, you're not "forced to tolerate" (= not possible).

3. Dont deal with anyone who doesnt speak English then. You're not "forced" to.

4. Dont you like capitalism?

5. Gay people may feel the same way about you....not only gay people have AIDS....

6. Legislating based on prevailing popular opinion is infamously a bad, bad idea. Ah - "activist judges who legislate from the bench"! - yay, one of my favorite RW cliches. Judges interpret laws. It depends on how tightly the law is defined that gives judges leeway in interpretation. Dont understand the connection you make between legislation and gay people - sounds sinister though.

7. Examples? You mean, car emission inspections? Clean water?

8. There are plenty of things to criticize that have been bringing our standards down, but I think also you might be overdosing on fear propaganda. Other than the phone calls with people in India - capitalism, blame business - and maybe the immigants - also business - which of the issues affects you personally, directly?

A good antidote to artificial fear is expressed here.

American Rhetoric: Movie Speech from Network - Howard Beale The Mad Prophet of the Airwaves

Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
You are confusing issues, illegal immigration has squat to do with homosexual marriage.
The short version is this --- illegal immigrants are not citizens of this country, and broke numerous laws in order to get in/work/live here. Homosexuals are citizens of this country which means that they have the same rights as heterosexual citizens.
Simple, no?

A longer version would include the differences between a group of people commiting fraud/crime against citizens vs a group of citizens who wish to marry, and that would harm no one.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You are confusing issues, illegal immigration has squat to do with homosexual marriage.
In all fairness, the terms do share a number of letters.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM

OP, I was just looking over my post and would like to ask if you'd answer at least this part: Besides the customer support phone calls to India, which of the issues you list affects you personally, in your daily life?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM

207 posts, read 243,334 times
Quote:
Why is it that the feds seem to know about the millions of illegal immigrants residing in this country but are unwilling to do much about the problem?

On that note why should the majority of those legal citizens be forced to tolerate migrants living here illegally and milking off the welfare system?

Why should the law-abiding citizens of this great country be made to tolerate the lazy minority that refuse to speak English fluently? Why should anybody who lives in the United States of America be getting by with not communicating in the language of the land, which is English?

Why must I be forced to speak with a foreign-accented representative from some third-world country who I can barely understand when I call for technical assistance or banking information? Why, when I ask to be transferred to a person in the United States, am I denied that option; and why is that considered intolerant or racist?

Why must the majority be forced to tolerate abnormal lifstyles such as homosexuality? Why aren't the rabid quantity of AIDS cases and other STDs enough to convince people about the dangers to society when people engage in such degenerate methods?

Most of all, relative to the above issue, why do the majority of people have to sit on the sidelines and put up with an elite minority of high and mighty judges that legislate from their benches? Why is it okay when a judge ignores the basic foundations of society as well as the Constitution and makes a knee-jerk decision, but it's considered barbaric, homophobic, and backwoods when the majority of voters constitutionally approve bans on same-sex marriage?

Why do we all have to change the way we live and go green just to satisfy a small minority of outspoken doomsday environmentalists? Why can't this small group of activists change their ways and stop pushing legislation to affect the rest of our everyday lifestyles?

Why have we allowed ourselves to be shoved into a politically-correct state of so-called tolerance of unorthodox ways? Society is crumbling around us thanks to all this wonderful diversity, and we sit on our hands and swallow it like castor oil. Can anybody explain the reasons in a rational manner without the usual bashing or name-calling?

First of all no one is FORCING you to tolerate anything...however I suggest you learn that the world and the country for that matter does not revolve around you, your beliefs and your inflated ego. Other people matter too.

First of all illegal immigrants are normally here because of how bad things were for them in their homeland. America is supposed to be the land of the free thus they think it's a place for a better life. Most of those illegal immigrants end up doing horrid jobs here for a ton less then citizens would ...so I don't even want to hear how lazy you think they are since most of them probably work ten times harder than you or I do for less than half the pay.

Secondly, English is one of the HARDEST second languages to learn...someone who just came to this country isn't going to be able to speak English right away. Why not be tolerant and HELP people learn instead of spouting off about how you wished they spoke english.

Thirdly, there is NOTHING abnormal about homosexuality. AIDS and STD's occur in people of all orientations...Infact the rate of STDs is MUCH lower in lesbians than it is in heterosexual women...so by your logic all women SHOULD know that heterosexual relationships are degenerate and lesbian relationships are the way to go!

Fourthly because bans on marriage should not be left up to a citizens vote...Last I checked we don't VOTE on civil rights they are RIGHTS they can't be taken away just because people don't like them. Gay marriage is as much of a right as interracial marriage...and I bet if you put that up to a vote some states would STILL vote against it.

Fifthly ...because a few people going green will NOT save the environment...I'd like there to still be some quality oxygen left for my great grandchildren to breathe.

Like I said you aren't forced to believe anything...but not everyone agrees with you...and you have to get used to that ...that's life.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,631 times
Quote:
When unconventional ways are accepted it often leads to ways that are immoral and illegal.
This statement doesn't even make sense. "Accepted" behavior is generally legalized... and vice versa.

Quote:
The majority no longer rules and that is purely unacceptable.
To YOU, maybe. To the rest of us with open, curious minds and a desire to become more well-rounded, cosmopolitan people who enjoy the stimulating company of people who are not clones of ourselves, the majority is merely an anchor point from which to explore.

Besides, if you're such a fan of majority rule, why are you trying to control what everyone else does? Just let the majority do what it does, and continue voting on gay marriage, state-by-state. No matter what the outcome, you will have won - majority rules

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

"Conventional" - you mean what's familiar and safe to you, OP.

Every generation complains that things are worse now than they were back in the day.

I really think you'd feel a lot less helpless and frightened and "forced to tolerate" if you threw your TV out the window.

Try to enjoy life. Have a cream soda.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
lazy minority
abnormal lifstyles such as homosexuality
degenerate
Can anybody explain the reasons in a rational manner without the usual bashing or name-calling?
Pot, meet kettle.

When you say "no name calling" it shouldn't be right after you call people names.

"Hey idiot, don't call me names"...do you see the hypocrisy?

Why should I be forced to tolerate Christianity when I find it to be a primitive lifestyle that impedes a person's ability to think rationally? It's called America, this is a country where the minority gets to have a say and where freedom is a right, not a privilege. People like you have been forcing your laws on us for as long as this country has been around, and it has caused immense damage. From Prohibitionists to terrorist anti-abortionists, there have been plenty of people who thought their "morals" were better than others and tried to force their ways on the rest of us with disastrous consequences.

And BTW, while AIDS has a high prevalence amongst gays and IV drug users, it also affects many heterosexual people as well. Not only that, but most STDs, like Herpes, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, hepatitis and Crabs are transmitted through heterosexual sex.

People like you who think the old days were so great should look at how it really was and why it changed. Or you just want to live in a Theocracy like Saudi Arabia and you don't care about history or freedom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies