Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage will be legalized in all States in how many years?
Within 5 18 11.84%
Within 10 21 13.82%
Within 20 34 22.37%
Within 50 12 7.89%
It will take more than 50 years 8 5.26%
It will never be legalized in all states 54 35.53%
It will be made ill-legal in all states 1 0.66%
Other 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Just to white, but not to minorities (blacks).
Crime in general was lower in the '50s and earlier. For all races... whites, blacks, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
They don't realize it, but conservative Christians prefer a Communist form of governance.

They want government to dictate whom you can marry and redistribute relationships equally between men and women.

Sounds a lot like China to me. I'd prefer to uphold the freedoms establshed by our founding fathers.

you know what I'm glad to opine here. some "chrisitians" (I'll utilize that description very loosely here) really would use the bible to beat the tar out of all of us, a true christian would not.

now on to the topic of homosexuality I'll take the liberty to pose a few questions.

1. is homosexuality a natural condition?
2. is homosexuality a genetic abherration?
3. is homosexuality a preferrance?
4. is homosexuality learned?

on to the founding fathers comment. the 18th century individual would not have considered the possibility that such a shameful and destructive practice as homosexuality would have been publically displayed let alone embraced. did homosexuality exist in the 18th century? it most certainly did however it was not an accepted behavior and being known as a practicing homosexual excluded you completely from polite society.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM

355 posts, read 446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Personally, I would love to marry a goat. my only problem is that I dont speak BAAAAA . so the Priest won't know if the goat can validate his vows ....What does "I Do" in Goat sound like.......guess i'm **** outta luck. People grow up, no one is going to be marrying animals or children or siblings.

Side note, I plan on getting engaged with in the next year. yes, it will be a fantastic gay wedding.
Your fantastic homosexual marriage will not be recognized as legitimate in any state of the union except four. The remaining 46 will regard your marriage as null and void. In the four remaining states same-sex marriages will not be legal very long if the registered voters are allowed the final mandate.

As my side note your usage of profanity in the form of a term that was censored from your post says a lot about your principles.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,030,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Your fantastic homosexual marriage will not be recognized as legitimate in any state of the union except four. The remaining 46 will regard your marriage as null and void. In the four remaining states same-sex marriages will not be legal very long if the registered voters are allowed the final mandate.

As my side note your usage of profanity in the form of a term that was censored from your post says a lot about your principles.
DC will recognize it as well.

However, it's only a matter of time before the courts overturn proposition 8 in California, and I do believe that example will follow througout the entire country. Within 20 years, we may catch up with the rest of the civilized world.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM

59 posts, read 63,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It can't be. That is correct. However, some of the legal reasons for banning gay marriage and the legal reasons for banning polygamous marriages may be related.

I should mention that part of me thinks gay marriage should be allowed. I realize that being gay is not a choice and hate to see people banned from marrying simply because they were born gay. At the same time, I keep coming back to the simple fact that gay couples cannot start families - at least not with children that are biologically theirs and that, to be blunt, it is not natural for gay couples to have kids. Strong families need to be promoted now more than ever.
What about all the gay familes out there that currently have kids? Denying them the protections of marriage will not make them give up their kids or become heterosexual. Your ban actually harms children. Giving them the protections of marriage will strengthen that family.

I also don't see how allowing gays to marry would affect straight couples at all. It's not like we're banning hetero marriage in the process. You don't know me, we will probably never meet- how does my getting married affect you in the least?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 PM

355 posts, read 446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
One only has to take a look at page 4 of this poll taken last year in California to see the striking contrast in opinion between older people and younger people on the issue of same-sex marriage:

http://www.field.com/fieldpollonline...rs/Rls2268.pdf

In the 65+ group, 36% support same-sex marriage while 55% do not.

In the 18-29 group, 68% support same-sex marriage while 25% do not.

Yes, it's true: Those who oppose same-sex marriage are a dying breed.
Polls mean nothing. It is what the people say on the ballots that count.

Do you not realize that registered voters, ordinary average citizens like you and me, are the ones that have voted to ban same-sex marriages?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM

59 posts, read 63,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm not going to continue posting on this thread...I don't want to upset anyone.

I did mention this should be a state issue. In my state, we voted a few years ago on it and decided that gay marriage should not be permitted. In states where the majority of citizens want it to be allowed, it should be. Like it or not...sometimes democracy does mean the majority curtailing the rights of the minority. In a way, it's unfortunate. But when you consider EVERYONE's rights, it seems to be the best way to do things.
Again, your rights are in no way affected by gay marriage, unless you're gay. If you're straight, you will have the exact same rights in marriage that you've always had.

And it can't be limited to the states because the federal govt has stuck their finger in the marriage pie. They dole out all sorts of "special rights" for married couples; denying those sames rights to gay couples that are legally married in their state will be ruled unconstitutional soon.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
What about all the gay familes out there that currently have kids? Denying them the protections of marriage will not make them give up their kids or become heterosexual. Your ban actually harms children. Giving them the protections of marriage will strengthen that family.

I also don't see how allowing gays to marry would affect straight couples at all. It's not like we're banning hetero marriage in the process. You don't know me, we will probably never meet- how does my getting married affect you in the least?
I see it as harmful to the children and harmful to the family structure.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
Again, your rights are in no way affected by gay marriage, unless you're gay. If you're straight, you will have the exact same rights in marriage that you've always had.

And it can't be limited to the states because the federal govt has stuck their finger in the marriage pie. They dole out all sorts of "special rights" for married couples; denying those sames rights to gay couples that are legally married in their state will be ruled unconstitutional soon.
It is NOT unconstitutional. Courts have actually upheld the laws. A (state) court in Washington...one of the most liberal states in the country...upheld a state law against gay marriage.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And what would those be? I don't think penis vs. vagina is subtle, but I know about those differences.
Emotional differences, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.