Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,337,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
That is the main problem with this thing. Some people in major urban areas may decide to buy one. Every other area in the U.S. won't even look at one of these things. It would also be useless in certain major ubran areas. Some major cities rain all the time and some cities have long and miserable winters. They will see a very small return on their investment unless gas hits $4 a gallon again.
Again, people buy scooters. Where are they any good except for in urban areas? I live in Chicago and people own lots and lots of scooters, and the winters here obviously suck a big one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 PM

20,249 posts, read 19,811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Was this thing made by a Lawyer?
Probably by a guy who hates cars and wants to force everyone to ride a bus.

Definitely good transport device for people who live, work and play in dense urban areas.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,450,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I think we can expect more of this kind of thing as the gov't interjects more politics into these auto companies. The political ambition here is to change the auto industry and induce them to make these so-called "green cars" that no one but a small few really wants to buy.

Have you sat in a Smart Car? Besides being cramped, can you imagine being struck by a 6,000 lb SUV at 70 MPH (assuming the car can go that fast)? The kicker is that it's not all that fuel efficient, compared with a decent Japanese car like a Toyota Corolla or a Camry hybrid.
that's not the point. the point is that it is a 2 seater niche vehicle that everyone should want to have. Who cares if it fits in the back of an SUV and only gets 45mpg.
p.s. it does have a nascar type roll cage, not sure if it would save you if I ran you over with my Expedition EL.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Again, people buy scooters. Where are they any good except for in urban areas? I live in Chicago and people own lots and lots of scooters, and the winters here obviously suck a big one.
scooters can make it further than 35 miles on a tank of gas. even those with 1 gallon gas tanks.
I would have to take it inside and plug it in while at work. I'm sure my job would love to foot that bill.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,337,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
scooters can make it further than 35 miles on a tank of gas. even those with 1 gallon gas tanks.
I would have to take it inside and plug it in while at work. I'm sure my job would love to foot that bill.
Then the vehicle's clearly not for you. Most folks I know don't travel more than 35 miles to and from work.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Then the vehicle's clearly not for you. Most folks I know don't travel more than 35 miles to and from work.
really? I'd like to see the numbers on that considering the movement to the 'burbs all these years.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,190,347 times
One thing for sure, Bristol Palin won't be buying one.......no back seat.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:35 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,462,646 times
The Segway goes for over $5,000 at Amazon. When GM and the gubmint get through with this thing, they will try to sell it for $40,000.

But then you'll get a $35,000 tax credit.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,305,178 times
Quote:
A young urban scooter owner wants a scooter, not a dorkmobile.
Scooters you gas and go.
People can't keep their cell phones charged from a convenient outlet within their home, where will this get plugged in on the city streets?
How big do you think the scooter market is anyway?

Sure there will be a niche market, but the only way it will become reality in substantial numbers is if mandated by the government.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,816,210 times
Quote:
As you say,peple buy scooters....so why would they buy this?

Why bother even attempting to get it to market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies