Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Alaska get a new Senator election now Sen. Stevens is cleared from all charges and wasn't tre
Yes, this is a democracy and when things are wrong we need to fix it. 21 41.18%
No 29 56.86%
Not sure. 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I get very tired of the media, myself. I consider them very left leaning most of the time. How about you?
Lately I pay so little attention to the media that I really can't say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:05 PM

358 posts, read 472,320 times
The election was legal and the sitting senator won it. The Bush Justice Department blew the case and I cannot help but wonder if it was intentional so Uncle Ted would not have to serve time. I do not think it was unintentional, the Bush administration had a never ending capacity for mischief and deceit.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
The sitting senator didn't win the election.

I doubt it was a conspiracy...I don't know that the prosecutors would have been willing to wreck their own careers; they aren't known for being altruistic.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Please note, right wingers - this judge was named to this court by Bill Clinton.
"Judge Emmet Sullivan, 61, was appointed to the bench by presidents of both parties.

President Ronald Reagan first named Sullivan to the Superior Court of the District of Columbia in 1984. President George H.W. Bush appointed him to the District of Columbia Court of Appeals in 1991, and President Bill Clinton named him to the federal bench in 1994."

Profile: Judge Emmet Sullivan: Former Sen. Ted Stevens | adn.com

Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Ah. Whoa! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/us...93a&ei=5087%0A
A federal judge dismissed the ethics conviction of former Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska on Tuesday after taking the extraordinary step of naming a special prosecutor to investigate whether the government lawyers who ran the Stevens case should themselves be prosecuted for criminal wrongdoing.
Sorry, "dismissed" doesnt mean "cleared of all charges."
Actually, in this case, it wasn't just the case that was dismissed, but the original idictment was voided. Steven's is not only cleared of all charges, from a legal perspective, he was never even charged in the first place.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

I doubt it was a conspiracy...I don't know that the prosecutors would have been willing to wreck their own careers; they aren't known for being altruistic.
This is actually where it gets even better. Because this case now has a special prosecutor with broad power, if he were to find that there actually was intent to influence the election, that would be a violation of FEDERAL ELECTION LAW and would be grounds for Judge Sullivan to order a new election! I know, it's very unlikely. But this case has already proven to be a case of truth being stranger than fiction.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM

And, to add one more twist to this saga, the Alaska State House of Representatives has just passed a resolution asking the federal government to apologize to Ted Stevens and to let Stevens sue the Department of Justice.

Alaska Politics Blog : Alaska House wants Stevens to be able to sue | adn.com

Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
No; I didn't know that. I don't bother with much that Pelosi has to say, sorry.

The perspective I'm giving here is that of an Alaskan voter and no one else's.
But you are not an Alaskan voter. You're just another lesser-48 pretender.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
And, to add one more twist to this saga, the Alaska State House of Representatives has just passed a resolution asking the federal government to apologize to Ted Stevens and to let Stevens sue the Department of Justice.

Alaska Politics Blog : Alaska House wants Stevens to be able to sue | adn.com
The 11th Amendment does not allow citizens to sue the federal government.

Quote:
The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State
Even though I voted against Stevens, there should be another special election. I would still vote against Stevens, but the federal government obviously rigged the trial and the timing so that Stevens would lose, and Alaskan voters are entitled to vote for their representation without interference from the federal government.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM

358 posts, read 472,320 times
Quote:

First the sitting Senator DID win the election. I do not see how you can say he did not, he got more votes, that ='s WINNER. The current sitting Senator had nothing to do with the inditement. Uncle Ted was crooked, and he did take at least 1/4 million in home improvements. That is just what we know of, he is getting out of it on a technicallity.

Second, the Attorneys involved were in the Bush "Justice" department, there is a new AG and President, I suspect they were done anyway after the scandals of the Bush "Justice" department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies