Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
To truly stopped the pirates there should be a severe cost of taking the ships.
Here's a better idea: To stop the Somali pirates how about addressing and attending to the social, economic and political realities that they have been forced to face due to US negligence. Somalia is a failed state due to US policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:29 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Here's a better idea: To stop the Somali pirates how about addressing and attending to the social, economic and political realities that they have been forced to face due to US negligence. Somalia is a failed state due to US policy.
Give me a friggin break.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Default Obama Approves Strike On Pirates

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Official: Obama granted use of appropriate force to rescue captain « - Blogs from CNN.com

"Obama granted the authority to use appropriate force with the focus on saving and protecting Phillips’ life. Obama has phoned Phillips on board the USS Boxer as well as Phillips’ wife and family at their home in Vermont. In a statement issued by the White House after Phillips had been successfully rescued, the president said his administration is “resolved to halt the rise of piracy in this region.”

Doesn't sound or appear weak to me. Seems patient, prudent and smart just like the guy I voted for.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Official: Obama granted use of appropriate force to rescue captain « - Blogs from CNN.com

"Obama granted the authority to use appropriate force with the focus on saving and protecting Phillips’ life. Obama has phoned Phillips on board the USS Boxer as well as Phillips’ wife and family at their home in Vermont. In a statement issued by the White House after Phillips had been successfully rescued, the president said his administration is “resolved to halt the rise of piracy in this region.”

Doesn't sound or appear weak to me. Seems patient, prudent and smart just like the guy I voted for.
Same here, sounds like a good leader to me too .

Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
If you are looking for credit to be given to Obama ok I will,thanks Mr president for authorizing the military to take out the pirates and free our American.

However Mr president considering that piracy is exploding and the government can't insure protection of our fellow Americans,please authorize weapons for American civilian ships and boats,and engage foreign countries to make them rethink their policy that civilians don't need firearms for self defense.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Give me a friggin break.
You obviously don't know anything about America's recent involvement in Somalian affairs. I dare you--I double dare you--to do some research, and then I challenge you to refute my statement.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,588 times
Quote:

Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Several, as in, more than one. Here is a link I posted days ago. Look at it for yourself.

List of ships attacked by Somali pirates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I looked at that list and found an American flag on a ship owned by an American company but flying a flag of a European nation. I am telling you that no American flag has been attacked by pirates since 1801 when Jefferson punished Tripoli and the Bey for allowing pirates to attack American flagged merchant ships. I think you need to read your link a bit closer as to who owns the ship and what flag it is flying.

Quote:
In a statement issued by the White House after Phillips had been successfully rescued, the president said his administration is “resolved to halt the rise of piracy in this region.”

Well then if he is serious, let Somalia have a government by the people and for the people. But we all know that the US won't do that. Why? Because Somalis want a government run by Islamic fundamentalists.

Well, I guess there goes America's love of Democratic rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Yes, great job on killing poor people who are impoverished and desperate. Way to go guys.
Huh? Seems to me what needed to be done was done. And done well. As to the Euros...who cares what they think? "Poor and impoverished" people who have collected how many BILLIONS of dollars through thugery? Good riddance. I only hope O has the stones to keep this up. As to all those "desperate" pirates. I'm bleeding
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies