Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,289,472 times

Advertisements

Bob Cesca: Glenn Beck and The Consequences of Crazy Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,022,122 times
Exactly...Beck, Limbaugh and others are giving tacit approval for heinous acts committed by people who have been driven over the edge by their vehement rhetoric. Even laughing at a racist or sexist joke sends a message to the joker that it's okay, that you agree. They are then emboldened to take
the hatred one step further...or two or three steps. Cesca is on target, and speaking out against these
behaviors is incumbent on those of us who find such actions reprehensible. As Elie Wiesel said, "...to
remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all."

Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,643,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Exactly...Beck, Limbaugh and others are giving tacit approval for heinous acts committed by people who have been driven over the edge by their vehement rhetoric. Even laughing at a racist or sexist joke sends a message to the joker that it's okay, that you agree. They are then emboldened to take
the hatred one step further...or two or three steps. Cesca is on target, and speaking out against these
behaviors is incumbent on those of us who find such actions reprehensible. As Elie Wiesel said, "...to

Really? Where were you when that liberal wackjob Randi Rhoads thought it would be funny to play shotgun blasts during President Bush's State of the Union address? Do liberal radio hosts get a free pass?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,215,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? Where were you when that liberal wackjob Randi Rhoads thought it would be funny to play shotgun blasts during President Bush's State of the Union address? Do liberal radio hosts get a free pass?
There is absolutely no correlation between Rhodes and the Nuts on the right? Do you have a link/source to Rhodes making that comment? If Rhodes made a comment as you say she made she prorbably did so off the cuff. Whereas the Right stems their whole platform on violence/fear...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,438,915 times
I posted this on another thread but, I copied it and edited it slightly to post here since there are multiple threads now about Beck.

It's amazing, Glenn Beck was on CNN-HLN for just short of 2 1/2 years. His listening audience was second only to Nancy Grace's. Since his web page is of course no longer on CNN, I used the Internet Archive "Wayback Machine" to look at what his CNN page used to look like. Here's a link to his CNN page from 1/14/2008 using the archive to view it:

Show Pages - Glenn Beck - CNN.com

Here's a direct quote from that page where under the title "About the Show", CNN describes his show:

"Glenn Beck" is an unconventional look at the news of the day featuring Beck's unique and often amusing perspective on top stories from world events and politics to pop culture and everyday hassles. Like Beck's radio program, the show will be centered on current events and the opinions of Beck, all delivered in Beck's humorous, self-deprecating style.

Interestingly, just as a side note, on that page it shows he had recently interviewed Pat Buchanan (there's a link for a video of the interview but, the archive usually doesn't save big files like that...I didn't try it...I'm sure it won't work though).

He considers himself conservative (but not republican) and a libertarian. His political views didn't change when he went to FOX. Until Beck's show started airing on FOX about three months ago, I never heard anyone mention his name in a conversation or on an Internet board/forum/blog. Although instead of people who watch FOX talking about his new show, it's the people who hate FOX talking about him in the same sentence and with the same contempt they hold towards Hannity and/or O'Reilly, when voicing their dislike for the network and conservatives/republicans in general. Some of the same people that were either watching him or didn't care about him when he was on CNN-HLN a few months back, now think of him like he's the enemy.

What's amazing to me is how a simple change in employment can make a person go from being someone who's unconventional, humorous and self-deprecating, with a unique and often amusing perspective on everything (CNN's words) to someone who has militaristic rants, crying jags and Obama-is-coming-for-our-guns hysteria (Cesca's words).

It was announced on 10/16/2008 that Beck was moving to FOX (although his show did not start airing on FOX until 1/19/2009). Does it surprise anyone that CNN removed his show immediately (that same day, 10/16/2008) from their line-up. The last thing CNN or any of it's affliates wants, is for Beck's viewers, CNN's second largest audience, to tune out and go watch Beck over on FOX. The picture that's all of a sudden being painted of Beck is coming from the left and they have a good reason. If they were really concerned about his "hysteria" having any consequences, they sure are doing a good job of letting everybody know about it....like I said, I never heard of him until he moved to FOX (and I watch both CNN and FOX....I've only seen part of one show on FOX but, I hear people commenting about him all the time now).

Last edited by Danno3314; 04-09-2009 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Where was the public outcry when Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were inciting riots. They haven't been held accountable.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,643,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
There is absolutely no correlation between Rhodes and the Nuts on the right? Do you have a link/source to Rhodes making that comment? If Rhodes made a comment as you say she made she prorbably did so off the cuff. Whereas the Right stems their whole platform on violence/fear...
Here you go

Randi Rhodes:<br>Repeat offender

Now, can you provide a link of your allegations?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Here you go

Randi Rhodes:<br>Repeat offender

Now, can you provide a link of your allegations?
I guess the difference between her and Beck/hannity/rush is that someone actually listens to those guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies