Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 01:59 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The only thing Bush was good at was multitasking us to failure.
Link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Hmmmm.....interesting. Couldn't get much more right than Sarah Palin --- her daughter is an unwed mother. I guess there are at least two 'rights' that also lack morals.

That's all.
Not to make excuses for the Palin's mistakes, but I would cut her a little slack since Bristol is a total fox. I blame Todd more than anyone else. He should have been the one to check out the sort of characters Bristol was dating. While I don't know one way or another, I expect Sarah spent a lot of time being Governor that should have been spent communicating with her daughter. Now this boyfriend of hers is another story all together. I don't know what sort of family he comes from or what his view is on contraception. Obviously he did not wear a condom. So what good does it do to tell them to use condoms if they refuse to use them?

I salute the Palins for doing the right thing after their daughter conceived by welcoming this child into their home unlike many families who would have killed him simply because it was unintended. And, after all, isn't that the thing that has the left all in a tizzy? They didn't use their daughter's unfortunate lack of judgment as an excuse to kill an innocent baby.

Back to the issue at hand, How does women choosing to conceive out of wedlock, to include lesbians, reflect onto GWB? Should GWB have worked to outlaw premarital sex or increased the penalties for bedroom crimes like fornication and adultery? We know that teen aged girls are deliberately getting pregnant all over the country as part of some fad that even includes pacts between girls to all get pregnant at the same time. How is that not a failure of parents?

Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
please show me where they are teaching abstinence only in schools. Because most of what I hear is they are handing out condoms and BC like candy.
The question was where is Abstinence only being taught?
The link did not answer that question.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:12 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
<snip>Anything less is an Rx for failure, and Bush, Rove, Dobson, evango-fascist winguts, et al, <snip>
Umm, what are "winguts?"

Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have no problem w/single people having kids. Although, there was just something in the news in my state, something along the lines of our governor wanting to extend welfare benefits. We're already known as THE state to go to for that, we don't need to extend it. I'm a liberal, my governor is a democrat but this is one issue I don't agree with. I believe that some people do need assistance, for a set period of time, after that cut them off.

But the poor innocent child will starve in the cold in front of a whites only country club frequented by evil Republicans who rape the planet, trash the Constitution and get us into vendetta wars so their buddies in the pine box business can make a lot of money. They caused the whole problem by trying to outlaw the publicly funded partial birth abortions that the Constitution clearly states every woman has a right to.

Your Governor supports these welfare payments to unwed mothers because dependent people vote for the ones who give them that upon which they depend, our tax dollars. That's why I vote Republican!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
How can you blame anyone except the girls who decide to spread their legs for the first guy that comes their way? If you ask me its about the poor choices teens are making and the terrible way they are being brought up. No solid family structure.

I make a distiction between girls and adult women who should know better.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
OMG! How can that be? We had abstinence-only education shoved down the throats of our school systems and kids by the enlightened and thoughtful people on the far right. Say it isn't so? Must be a mistake!

Meanwhile, the rate of unwed moms in 2007 was 40% higher than in 2002, during the years that Bush & Rove were ass kissing to the evango-fascist wingnuts of the GOP who were pushing their dark ages mythical doctrine.

Sarah Palin, et al, please note.
So did home "ownership", you mean Americans still want families and the white picket fence around their house.... Don't worry though because one side still finds that picture offensive.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-11-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So you saw a stat and decided to make GWB responsible for the behavior of teenagers who obviously have a communication problem with their parents, but also add to that single women with the desire to conceive out of wedlock and lesbian couples who typically don't marry. Did you read the article?

I'm kinda a political buff. I tend to keep up on all things political. Perhaps I missed something and you could better inform me about this policy of GWB to prevent all forms of contraception from being used, especially by teen aged females. I have to admit I'm unfamiliar with his opposition contraception.
Oh please, you follow politics but somehow don't remember that Bush / Rove did everything in their power to prevent teens from being taught about contraception since the religious extremists of the far right wing of the GOP see all forms of birth control as an extension of abortion or an inducement to go have "sinful" sexual activity. Thus the GOP and their whackjob "base" insisted that abstinence was to be the only thing taught to kids to prevent pregnancies. Anyone who doesn't recall all the culture war battles the last 8 years in the sex ed, contraception, stem cell research and related matters of personal biology is being disingenuous. The GOP and it's wingnut zealots are the laughing stock of the world, for this crap, and many other issues.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The idiots on the far right OWN this statistic, including, but not limited to Bush-43, Rove, the GOP, evango-fascist wingnut televangelists, religious zealots and all of the so-called "family" organizations that are nothing but money grubbing creeps.

It was during the Bush years, 2002-2007, that the rate of unwed mothers skyrocketed. Not Clinton's years. It was during the Bush years that his administration sought to remove REAL science from our classrooms and replace it with ultra-religious voodoo, with "abstinence" and "creationism" and "intelligent design" all being parts of the mythology and voodoo that were pushed by the religious goons on the far right.

You cannot shove "abstinence" at people, especially young people, and expect them to listen. Young people, especially, are in a youthful phase of rebellion against all forms of authority as they go out and experience things for themselves, establishing their OWN level of understanding of alcohol, drugs, sex, driving, and a thousand other things. They are defining themselves all during their teen years and even into their early twenties for some of them. If anyone tells them they CAN'T smoke, drink, or have sex then you have to understand human nature enough to know that those are the very things they WILL go do, as soon as they can, so they can find out for THEMSELVES what it's all about. Every one of us has been there, we all did it to some extent.

The idiots on the far right made abstinence a political football and Bush & Rove were corrupt enough, and cynical enough, to put the lives of our young people into play so they could pay back the religious goons for their reeking money and votes.

DEM's and so-called liberals were not preaching abstinence as a national policy, and not shoving it down our throats.

Bush, the GOP, and the far right OWN the sad statistic in the news article. If any so-called conservatives on here don't like it, write to the list of clowns in paragraph one; don't deny the mess, don't deflect the blame, don't change the topic.

The topic is an increase in "unwed pregnancy". The real problem driving this increase is the idea in our society that it is OK to have a child out of wedlock. The stigma is gone. The financial hardships have effectively been removed. In fact in most states you can get some public assistance with children that you can't get without. Females of all ages are considering as an option something that was previously out of the question. I seem to remember a couple liberals back in the day giving our VP a hard time about a comment he made about one Murphy Brown and her sitcom lifestyle. So which is it liberals. Are you saying today that Dan Quale was correct at that time and you were all wrong before? Or is it the case that Dan Quale was wrong then and unwed pregnancy is actually a good thing? You can't have it both ways.

Anyways it doesn't matter because the whole idea that GWB caused an increase in unwed births due to abstinence only education is a farce. Teen pregnancy is down at a time when older women are "choosing' to get pregnant out of wedlock. Add to that the fact that the overall birth rate is up and your mystery is solved.

"The teen pregnancy rate in the United States has fallen to historic lows, abortion rates have declined dramatically and more women are having children out of wedlock, a study published Monday said."

"Some 45 percent of pregnancies in 2004 occurred among unmarried women and they are increasingly more likely to carry those pregnancies to term. The abortion rate for unmarried women dropped from 47 percent of pregnancies in 1990 to 35 percent in 2004."

AFP: US teen pregnancy rate near historic low: study

Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"The left", how do you reckon those unwed moms are lefties?

Or do you mean, only people on the left have sex?

I know that's true, but...funny you should admit it.
So that must mean, people on the right are gay......!!!!!

who would have thought that

Last edited by plannine; 04-11-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies