Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Don't be silly. What am I going to do with bullets when he takes away the guns? throw them at him? Silly goose.

But, now that you mention it, why has support for gun control laws dropped to some 26% or so, nationwide? Is EVERYBODY watching Glenn Beck?
Or, are people coming up with their own possible scenarios? Maybe it's the increase in home invasions, thefts, robberies, general increase in crime? Hmmm. Wonder if the bad economy has anything to do with that. Hmm. wonder if it will get worse as the economy worsens. Nah. That can't happen.
Snoooooze.

p.s. by the way, we're not talking about "panicking over a crisis that doesn't exist". The discussion is about possible scenarios, worst case. Of course they don't exist. But, are they a possibility? They have existed in other places, other times.
You want the worse case 60% of white victims are murdered by family members.

How crime is, in this country.

Black men kill Black men.
White men kill white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
My goodness, the world is big enough for all sorts of discourse. From the goofiness of Glen Beck to the meaness of Keith Olberman. No one should be in the business of telling anyone else what they should watch or think.

I think what is unfortunate about the whole discourse is that less than 1% of the collective knowledge of the human race is available on the internet and what is available through television is not a flyspeck of that. Both forms are manipulated in an ongoing way, primarily by people making money by doing so. Those generations who have relied solely on these two sources for their information and education can no longer distinguish between thinking for themselves and original thinking.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
I think what is unfortunate about the whole discourse is that less than 1% of the collective knowledge of the human race is available on the internet and what is available through television is not a flyspeck of that. Both forms are manipulated in an ongoing way, primarily by people making money by doing so. Those generations who have relied solely on these two sources for their information and education can no longer distinguish between thinking for themselves and original thinking.

I absolutely agree. My gripe with some is a superior attitude that people can't read all sorts of things and eveluate the validity of the sources on their own. The thinking of some is that most people are stupid and easily manipulated and their evidence for this opinion is that some people have different ideas from them.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We all know what Media Matters is about. We all know Media Matters and Move.On.org is the George Soros, one world order, mouthpiece.

Now about Mr Beck (Please don't come to my home. I forgot to set my dvd recorder today when I had a late class) and his ratings for the last day the ratings are posted:

Tuesday, Glen Beck had 2,192,000 total viewers...AT 5:00PM

In that same 5:00PM timeslot, CNN's Wolf Blitzer (950,000), MSNBC's Chris Matthews (460,000) and Headline News (336,000) TOGETHER had a total of 1,746,000 viewers.

In fact, Keith Olbermann in primetime (8:00PM) had only 1,318,000 viewers. That's right, Olbermann, in primetime, can't beat Beck at 5:00PM. In fact, both the original 8:00PM Olbermann (1,318,000) plus the re-run 10:00PM Olbermann (660,000) together (1,978,000) can't beat a 5:00PM Glenn Beck show (2,192,000).

What does that tell you about liberals?

Either there isn't as many of you as the ones that make all the noise on the web would have you believe or you aren't as smart as you claim to be because you get your cable news from a pair of comedians (Colbert and Stewart).
Maybe all the libs are watching Beck and O'Reilly so they have something to cry and whine about?
I see they've almost ran out of Palin insults...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I think that mainstream media and the left should just ignore FOX News. They shouldn't be silenced--this is a democracy, after all. But they should be completely ignored. Just let them and their paranoid, racist, tinfoil-hat-wearing dumbo followers stew in their own muck. They are the sickening "mob"--always there, but now--through the miracle of modern telecommunications--can spew their filth to anyone who will listen. Ignore them.
You're right you can.... Unfortunately for the left they can't keep a radio or tv show running for any lenth of time unless it get public funding.

As for the OP rant about Beck and the camps:
From Glennbeck.com

Glenn Beck: No, FEMA isn’t running concentration camps
posted at 7:20 pm on April 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

He promised viewers a debunking today and he delivered. I get nervous about this stuff being covered even for debunking purposes since to address it is to deem it plausible enough for serious inquiry, which is excusable in the case of a phenomenon like 9/11 Truth but less so in this case. Even so, a debunking is a debunking, so hats off to GB. This won’t do jack to convince hardcore nuts like Richard Poplawski but mainstream people who might otherwise take seriously a chain e-mail in this vein will think twice henceforth.
Now that Popular Mechanics is finished with this, maybe they want to have a word with Michele Bachmann?

So I guess Media doesn't matter got what wrong????

Old 04-09-2009, 08:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Maybe all the libs are watching Beck and O'Reilly so they have something to cry and whine about?
I see they've almost ran out of Palin insults...
Nope, we're just waiting for her next comedy special. She cranks 'em out every two weeks or so.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You're right you can.... Unfortunately for the left they can't keep a radio or tv show running for any lenth of time unless it get public funding.
Sure you're right....Keith Olbermann has been on for 6 years.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post

Who?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
On a failing network...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Nope, we're just waiting for her next comedy special. She cranks 'em out every two weeks or so.
It's clear that the libs think Sarah Palin is important enough (threatening enough?) to continue to focus on her and to try to debunk her whenever they think they can. If she wasn't a serious threat, they'd have forgotten about her by now. I might not totally like everything about Sarah but, then, I don't *totally* like everything about anybody (unlike those who goosh over Obama who like *everything* about him), but I do think she's a serious contender in the future, and has it on the ball, and can take all the mud that people throw at her.

Unbelievable what some people are willing to say and do when they're hiding behind a computer screen and a fake onscreen name. Where is YOUR integrity and character? (oops, sorry...the lack of it is showing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies