Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Barack Obama Have Bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia
Yes 19 17.12%
No 82 73.87%
Other 5 4.50%
Not Sure 5 4.50%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times

Advertisements

The Pope's ring is on the hand being shaken and out of view.

Nice try though.

I could easily make an argument against rendering obeisance to a religious figure as a head of state.

But I won't. Both gestures are a sign of respect for the title. Nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilers4me View Post
I vote no but mind you I know nothing about proper protocol while visiting with the king of Saudi Arabia.

What I find disturbing is a staff member of the President telling all of America, with a straight face mind you, that was not a bow. Seems like "more of the same" to me. I hope whoever made the denial is called out onto the carpet by the President. Now that would be a nice change of pace.

The more I follow politics the less hopeful I am. I am starting to believe there is no difference between R and D. Behind the huge curtain at the end of the yellow brick road is just big government in all of its republican and democratic glory, laughing and partying at the expense of all hard working Americans.

Shelley

So where's Toto when you really need him?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Bowing or kissing and holding hands?

You are obviously going with kissing and holding hands.

Okay, your call.

Equals kiss in the Middle East. Subjects bow.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
The White House is saying Obama did NOT bow. (He was picking up a dime.)

Had a wet spot on the floor too.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Had a wet spot on the floor too.
Someone said he was checking the King's zipper.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The Pope's ring is on the hand being shaken and out of view.

Nice try though.

I could easily make an argument against rendering obeisance to a religious figure as a head of state.

But I won't. Both gestures are a sign of respect for the title. Nothing more.

Any number of reasons he could be looking down. He could also be nodding his head. If I see an acquaintance, I might simply acknowledge them by politely nodding. Maybe the Pope told him he must have enjoyed his lunch since he decided to wear it on his shirt. He might have said that he liked the President's hair cut and asked if he could see the top. Could be that he is reacting to the Pope's vice-like grip. You know, like at the end of the Superman movie.

Bottom line, bowing is done at the waist.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Any number of reasons he could be looking down. He could also be nodding his head. Maybe the Pope told him he must have enjoyed his lunch since he decided to wear it on his shirt. He might have said that he liked the President's hair cut and asked if he could see the top. Could be that he is reacting to the Pope's vice-like grip. You know, like at the end of the Superman movie.

Bottom line, bowing is done at the waist. If I see an acquaintance, I might simply acknowledge them by politely nodding. I would not bow.
Riiiiiiiight.

Now wouldn't it be a whole lot easier just to admit the obvious - that President Bush bowed and there was nothing wrong with it? Just as nothing was wrong with Obama showing a little humility and rendering obeisance to the title of king? C'mon man.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
How is it a double standard? Kissing the cheek and holding hands are to them what shaking hands is to us. They are customary greetings. Bowing, on the other hand, is showing you're a lowly, worshipping servant. What about that is so hard to comprehend?
You hate Obama - all your posts over time indicate that very clearly - so of course no matter WHAT he did - you will find fault with it - like lots of other right-wing whackos on this forum..

Obama had a very successful trip overseas - and you right-wingers are desperate to say SOMETHING to try to tarnish his image... Nice try - but definitely NO CIGAR.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
You hate Obama - all your posts over time indicate that very clearly - so of course no matter WHAT he did - you will find fault with it - like lots of other right-wing whackos on this forum..

Obama had a very successful trip overseas - and you right-wingers are desperate to say SOMETHING to try to tarnish his image... Nice try - but definitely NO CIGAR.
Succesful trip? Based on what? Being "liked"?

Tell what did he accomplish? More troops to help the US troops? NO!
Money for stimilus for the banks, so worldwide the vanks will do better? NO!... Europe made it clear....it was done before Hitler got the power and that was meanly the reason why Hitler got power and they and we allknow what happened...so Europe is against it!

So maybe except from being liked and kiss up to the muslims over there and call Americans "arrogan at times"...what did he accomplish....you are right...just his ego went full of hot air, for the rest NOTHING!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Ohhh I forot to mention that som German newspapers mentioned "Is he still here, is he never going home "...maybe that is called succesful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies