Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be ok for people to manipulate genes to have "designer" babies
Yes 17 16.67%
No 76 74.51%
Unsure/Other 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Ok, this is very confusing. I know they can reproduce through artificial means but not by natural means and they never will. That DOES require a straight person.
No it doesn't. It's not that difficult to get an erection and impregnate a woman. Think about all of the guys who get married to a girl and later realize that they're gay. It's not like they couldn't have sex with a woman, but they probably weren't enjoying it. (Ironically, a lot of straight guys could probably say the same thing! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Whether or not that kind a thing should be fixed in the uterus is up to the parent. I know my wife and I wouldn't, nor would we treat them any different if we found out. Our child is our child. Straight, gay, transgendered, or otherwise.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Most - no. Some of the people that end up getting sex-changes - maybe

Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
(Ironically, a lot of straight guys could probably say the same thing! )
You got that right, how many times do you hear guys saying "eh, yeah I f***ed her but it totally sucked"?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
And we can determine what gene causes it, should it be allowed to flip the switch before a child is born?

What other changes, if any, should be allowed once we learn to manipulate genes like this?

What would be the limits?
Since gays have an aversion to the opposite sex, you'd think it would have been bred out of the human species over the last 150,000+ years, unless the "gay gene" is somehow irrevocably bound to some other dominant gene. I'm not a geneticist so I don't know.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Since gays have an aversion to the opposite sex, you'd think it would have been bred out of the human species over the last 150,000+ years, unless the "gay gene" is somehow irrevocably bound to some other dominant gene. I'm not a geneticist so I don't know.
There is some sort of role that it plays as it is common in nature. I once indicated in another thread that it would be an ideal in countries like india and china where pop control is so critical to have an increased prevalence of homosexuality to curb pop growth and actually enhance preservation of the species as a whole, due to less competition over resources.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There's probably not a specific "gay gene". Sexual orientation may develop from a very complicated mix of genetic predispositions, hormonal levels in a mother's womb, brain development, and other biological factors.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM

207 posts, read 243,247 times
Quote:
You really don't think people are aborting right now because of gender? They want one if each so just abort the ones you don't want. It's happening, I guarantee. With abortionists like Tiller who will do late term abortions for the woman's discomfort I bet it happens more than anyone will know. The woman does not have to say she is disappointed in having anther boy or girl, she just has to say she is too distressed to have the baby.

Eh never said that people weren't ...that doesn't mean I agree with it or think it should continue.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 AM

207 posts, read 243,247 times
Quote:
Ok, this is very confusing. I know they can reproduce through artificial means but not by natural means and they never will. That DOES require a straight person.

There was suppose to be a pregnant man but she was really in the process of a sex change and kept her womb and the organs she would need to carry a baby.

As far as suddenly deciding to admit to it. If the person is married and has a family then they are bi-sexual. If they could have sex with a woman and not be totally turned off then they are bi-sexual.

But some women will put up with the "oh Honey I suddenly decided to come out and you must understand" crap. Cheating is cheating. That one politician tried that and wanted everyone's sympathy. For once Oprah had some sense and talked to him about the cheating aspect. Go outside you marriage with a man or a woman you cheat. No suddenly crap involved.

All that is required to make a baby is sperm and egg...gay sperm gay egg...straight sperm straight egg...or any other combination doesn't really matter. I can naturally produce with a gay man if I choose to, however I much prefer artificial means over natural seeing as I have no desire to sleep with my gay best friend and he has no desire to sleep with me. One is not any less gay just because one engages in a sex act with the opposite sex.

Yes...most sex changes don't remove the uterus. So what is your point?

Umm just because they had sex with a woman doesn't mean they weren't totally turned off. It also doesn't mean they were bisexual. You don't get to decide the sexuality of others.

Cheating is cheating...but gay is gay and you can play straight all you want but if you're gay it will probably get to you one day and you'll have to stop pretending.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
All human embryos are female until a crucial point in their development which begins flooding the female embryo with male hormones.

It is possible that during development, an embryos developing brain is not bathed in the correct composition of hormones which causes that individual to develop into same sex gender identification and also to perceive itself as being more attracted to the same sex.

If science proves that this is how homosexuality develops, you can believe that there will be some genetic therapy to fix it. As some mothers may not opt for in-utero testing for this developmental defect, there will be those who do, and it should be available to test for this specific defect in human development in-utero.

Another theory is that drinking water from municipal sources has been contaminated with female hormones (from birth control pills). Drinking water filter systems cannot separate all of the female hormones from our drinking water. There is evidence of this by water animals such as frogs and fish who are born intersexed or without reproductive organs, and also displaying sexual behavior of the opposite sex. It's not unlikely that humans are also experiencing disruptions in their psycho-sexual development because of this problem as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies