Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be ok for people to manipulate genes to have "designer" babies
Yes 17 16.67%
No 76 74.51%
Unsure/Other 9 8.82%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:42 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,395,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144
It's a disorder of evolution.
Actually it could be a case of blaming science for it's increase. I'll explain in the next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144
Nature or nurture?
Actually as far as the nature/nurture thing go, I think in these modern times it's a little bit of both. What I've observed over the early years was more of a nuturing factor with regards to those of celebrity status or general wealth experimenting with the lifestyle. It's only an observation mind you, but I would notice individuals who became successful and in a position to obtain anything and everything money could buy, but after a time such things lose their excitement and lustre and an alternative lifestyle provided something new. I only mention these observation because I lived in an area of the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs where such early observations could be experienced back in the 1970s/1980s. Mind you, again it is only something i took note of through the early years of those coming out ot the virtual closet.

However, as far as environmental factors go, it would seem that science itself has unwittingly caused much of the increase in both nature and humans. Now before I get flamed, please look at the book "Our Stolen Future". I've mentioned this book here over and over in regards to darkside of science. It certainly was'nt written by a bunch of kook right-wingers or religious fanatics, so before anyone accuses, please take note that a leftwing icon, "Al Gore" actually wrote the forward for this book.

The book takes note of specific chemicals released in the natural environment which have the ability to mask as hormones and actually effect the development of any developing embryo of any type of lifeform including humans. Among the increased homosexual observations in nature were fish and water birds. Humans were also part of the subject. Anyway, here's a link:

Our Stolen Future: Home

You may also want to take note of another book of 1962 fame, "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson, who herself was accuse of being a Lesbian. Monolithic chemical giants like Monsanto , Veliscol Chemical Corporation & American Cyanamid made numerous threats of lawsuits and derided and trashed her reputation in well orgestrated counterattacks. Given the state of our planet's health, I'd say that such bold individuals who've had the guts and backbone to speak out have been proven correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,214,948 times
Aaah, the great debate of homosexuality. In this day in age, there ought to be NO debate.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,774,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Tin Knocker, by your definition, the first Pterodactyl that learned to fly would be "significantly different" from the other lizards in its egg brood and would thus suffer from a "disorder." Whereas I would call it evolutionary progress towards a better life for that Pterodactyl's own hatchlings. Dude, you need to get yourself a dictionary, I'm serious.
I've had a freakish vision of genetic resolution to issues regarding population control & diminished resource mgmt... liliputians.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,533 times
I think we should avoid manipulating genes in humans. Ultimately, the greater good is served letting a child be born as is than giving people the option of choosing to craft a child to their liking. Ultimately, i think this is more dangerous!

Assuming homosexuality is genetic. It obviously has a role in the plan of nature and I don't think it is a threat to the future of humanity. Why? take a look at the world population charts. We aren't a threat to breeders lol and assimilation is not happening...

As a gay man, if given the choice between this and being straight - i choose the way i am! I'm not hurting anybody so leave your judgements at the door and respect my human experience as I will respect yours.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,915,565 times
But, because we CAN manipulate genes, we WILL. Even the Pope could not stop Astronomy. It might not be somebody as kind and gentle as Galileo who does it, but it will be done. That's how science works.

This reminds me of a Scientific American magazine competion to come up with a better name than "Big Bang Theory". My two favorites were:

"You'll never get it all back in there again"

"What happens if I push this button?"

I'm afraid we have found out what happens when we push the button of genetic science, and we'll never get it all back in there again.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,395,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I think we should avoid manipulating genes in humans. Ultimately, the greater good is served letting a child be born as is than giving people the option of choosing to craft a child to their liking. Ultimately, i think this is more dangerous!

Assuming homosexuality is genetic. It obviously has a role in the plan of nature and I don't think it is a threat to the future of humanity. Why? take a look at the world population charts. We aren't a threat to breeders lol and assimilation is not happening...

As a gay man, if given the choice between this and being straight - i choose the way i am! I'm not hurting anybody so leave your judgements at the door and respect my human experience as I will respect yours.
Seriously, you need to read the book "Our Stolen Future". It was NOT written by a bunch of right-wing self-righteous christian fundamentalists. It was written by scientists. Science and humankind are already manipulating human genes through pollution of our environment as a side effect of their righteously promoted discoveries of newer and better chemicals. I believe that the info they put forth in the book is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,110 times
people need to stop altering nature. It's already to the point where you can determine the sex of your baby. I think it's f'd up and scary. I can understand if you have a gene that will cause a defect but if you are going to have a perfectly healthy child, why? People who even contemplate such a thought shouldn't have kids because if they need a child to be a certain height, eye color, sleep with a certain group of people, be a certain sex then something is seriously wrong with them.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,915,565 times
They warned us then, too: God did not intend for men to travel faster than a horse could run. But we did, and look what happened.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,457,601 times
added a poll...

Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But, because we CAN manipulate genes, we WILL. Even the Pope could not stop Astronomy. It might not be somebody as kind and gentle as Galileo who does it, but it will be done. That's how science works.

This reminds me of a Scientific American magazine competion to come up with a better name than "Big Bang Theory". My two favorites were:

"You'll never get it all back in there again"

"What happens if I push this button?"

I'm afraid we have found out what happens when we push the button of genetic science, and we'll never get it all back in there again.
But people should still feel compelled to take a stand if they feel they are right. I stand by what I said, collectively we should be united in this world and say no to gene manipulation - it is too dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies