Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Ok... I see your point. I wonder if Americans are willing to pay double for their fruits and vegetables if strict enforcement happens and these folks can't get jobs. I also wonder if they are ready for the explosion in violence in the border regions (in US and Mexico) if people can't get legit jobs... it's bad enough right now. But I understand your point... I just don't think Americans are really ready for the trade-off that your plan will entail... it will cost us all more in the end because Americans will not be doing those jobs at those wages.
"if Americans are willing to pay double for their fruits and vegetables"

Nothing will double if illegals are sent home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Not true--Kal Pen the actor just got a job in the NObama Admin as some glorified PR assistant...
One job. Well that is more than any of our lib friends has showed us. When Saint Barack of Hopenchange took all those voters he did it very well. I am wondering how much change many of them can jingle in their pockets now.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
You have to understand that Obama has his plate full. He is sooo busy cleaning up Bush's mess that it will take a few trillion dollars more to get you a job. But that's after we reform immigration and save the planet and give everyone free healthcare and lollypops. Don't worry. "Help is on the way." LOL

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"if Americans are willing to pay double for their fruits and vegetables"

Nothing will double if illegals are sent home...
Ok, why don't you talk to someone who owns a landscaping business or agriculture business... I have. Let me know what they tell you. Ask them how many Americans apply when they post jobs for these positions. Ask them how long the Americans tend to last in the job. Ask them how much their labor costs would have to go up by to attract folks to those jobs. Let me know what they say. We need to be real about repercussions of policy before we dive in.

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No matter who makes the asphalt, the concrete, the rebar, it's still a government job.
Hahaha. How do you figure that?

Let me see if I get this. So lets say I work for Shell Oil on an oil rig. Some of the oil I extract from the ground is purchased by a company that uses it to make plastic road cones. Those plastic road cones are then purchased by a construction company that specializes in road construction. That construction company is then hired by the government to expand a federal highway. So I, along with everyone else at Shell Oil, is working a government job? Again, hahahahahhahahah.

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Not if the overall plan of tax cuts, targeted budget cuts, temporary spending investments in things like building roads and schools, bailouts of the banks to get credit flowing again all work as planned (or close to as planned) and get the economy moving again. If the economy recovers, these jobs will not be lost or temporary.

I hope Obama's plan succeeds. I believe it will succeed. I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read most economists and most business leaders seem to be behind what our President is doing.

And for those of say things like "0 Jobs created so far", please, stop being so disingenuous - it really speaks poorly of you and your integrity (either that or your ability to inform yourself). Obama has only ever said that his recovery plan aims to save or create 2.5 million jobs over the next 2-3 years and that things will most likely get worse before the get better.
The problem is the people that own the companies that build and maintain the roads and bridges are squarely in the cross hairs of Obama's tax increases on the "rich".

Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
In 2008, the U.S. had an estimated $14 trillion dollar domestic output. What makes anyone believe that $787 billion will be more than a blip on the jobs creation radar? I'm not an economist, but to me thats like saying I will be a millionaire one day by saving 1 penny per day. We'll be looking at another government stimulus package in the near future in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
typical left wing fear monger. what people don't understand is that barry the wonder puppet destroyed the economy on purpose. he did it to get re-elected in 12. anyone with a 2nd grade education knows that the way to turn the economy around is to pay down the debt, not print money out of thin air. he is prolonging the recession, because he doesn't care about america. barry the wonder puppet only cares about himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're frustrated because your expectations too high. You expect him to create jobs in ten weeks? It will be years before the economy is turned around.

Or maybe someone promised you jobs sooner? Who would that be and a link please?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
The problem is the people that own the companies that build and maintain the roads and bridges are squarely in the cross hairs of Obama's tax increases on the "rich".
And? Those companies seemed to have made plenty of money when the tax rates were higher under Clinton, Bush the Elder and Reagan. Why will it be different this time?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
typical left wing fear monger. what people don't understand is that barry the wonder puppet destroyed the economy on purpose. he did it to get re-elected in 12. anyone with a 2nd grade education knows that the way to turn the economy around is to pay down the debt, not print money out of thin air. he is prolonging the recession, because he doesn't care about america. barry the wonder puppet only cares about himself.
LOLOL... destroy the economy so you can get re-elected? Man, I've heard it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies