Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Why are autos any different? With a pistol, without modifications, one can only shoot one shot at a time. If there are more than one perpetrator, say coming at you from different angles, wouldn't you rather be able to spray the area in an arc?
I just think autos are a little excessive for self defense. Yes, it would be nice to have it for the situation that you described, but I wouldn't feel right having an auto in my house. I'll stick with my pistol for defense, and my rifle for hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
No, people protecting themselves through either shooting a perp or scaring them away by producing a gun.
Got data? Sounds like a really difficult thing to produce hard numbers or even soft estimates on.

Also, let me say that I'm pretty liberal and think that guns are generally a bad idea all the way around. However, since we can't wish them out of existence altogether, I DO support the right of private citizens to own and carry firearms.

However, when I see a story like this, I don't think "That's awesome!" I think it's a pretty horrible commentary on the wild west nature of our streets. I'm glad the good guy one, but find the whole thing pretty sickening.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I'm a leftist. And I've got no problems with people owning guns for self defense.

Automatic rifles, however, are a different story.

Ditto.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
I'm sure the lefties will just hate that the good guy won this gun fight. If it wasn't for the right to own a gun the good guy here would have been dead. Instead....the worthless idiots got every bit of what they deserved.

Houston police: Driver fires back at other car, hits 3 inside | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Most of the Bush apologists on this forum insist that I'm a leftie because I voted Democratic one time. I've voted GOP half a dozen times.

I say:

citizen 3

gangbangers 0

Last edited by skoro; 04-09-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Here's another:

"Pizza Hut delivery man, 43-year-old Christopher Miller, says he showed up at the home at 10:30 p.m. and 17-year-old Paul Sturgill was standing on the sidewalk waiting for him. Officials say soon after Miller got out of the car, two other men ran at him from the woods.

When Miller started running away, that’s when authorities say Sturgill continually tried beating him in the face. Miller, who has a concealed weapons permit, says he pulled out .45 caliber handgun that he had in his fanny pack and shot Sturgill in his chest.

Sturgill was taken to the hospital where he later died."

Robber Shot, Killed By Pizza Deliveryman In Irmo | WSPA
One less scumball.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
No, people protecting themselves through either shooting a perp or scaring them away by producing a gun.
What? 1.5MILLION?? So this happens 4,100 times a day!?? LOL... c'mon, man... don't take everything you read as fact.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM

479 posts, read 660,914 times
Here's another cheer for the good guys!

To Langlen, are you aware that it takes a Class III permit to own an automatic weapon in this country? Do you have any idea how hard it is
to get a Class III license? Only a select few can pass the requirements AND pay the fees required. They are the Really Good guys!!!

Don't confuse semi auto and full auto, that's a ploy by the media to confuse the masses. i.e. the "black gun" is really no different than my deer rifle which is what I imagine the gent in Texas used, most likely it was a lever action 30.30 (very common) or a semi auto Remington or Browning.
Again, very common at deer camps and def not a automatic weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I'm a leftist. And I've got no problems with people owning guns for self defense.

Automatic rifles, however, are a different story.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Here's another leftie NOT opposed to gun ownership. I don't even have a problem with automatic rifles.

And guess what? It was the Bush administration that got me to change my views. For the first time, with Cheney in charge, I could conceive of the United States government turning on its citizens and the idea of citizens being allowed to bear arms made perfect sense. So suck on that.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:53 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
To Langlen, are you aware that it takes a Class III permit to own an automatic weapon in this country? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a Class III license? Only a select few can pass the requirements AND pay the fees required.
Not to mention that one must surrender their 4th Amendment rights...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It was the Bush administration that got me to change my views. ... So suck on that.
Whatever works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies