U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
 
17,329 posts, read 23,497,028 times
Reputation: 15827

Advertisements

Why is it that businesses now want a socialist (government step in and save their a...) solution to their problem with the Somali pirates?
What happened to the famous rightwing "Free market solution"

The solution is simple: "FREE MARKET"
(1) Take another route
(2) Give the pirates what they want
(3) Don't do business in that area.

Why should I have to pay with my tax money for the protection of those boats?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 PM
 
2,095 posts, read 2,481,200 times
Reputation: 1266
Your argument makes no sense. This is an attack by foreigners on US citizens which requires a military response. Who is in charge of the military? That would be the Federal government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM
 
17,329 posts, read 23,497,028 times
Reputation: 15827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Your argument makes no sense. This is an attack by foreigners on US citizens which requires a military response. Who is in charge of the military? That would be the Federal government.
I don't care who is in charge of the military,
why do I have to pay with my tax money to protect them.

Let the free market decide...
You get robbed/hijacked off the coast of Somali... don't go over there.
That's called common sense
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM
 
4,570 posts, read 7,211,418 times
Reputation: 2605
So you would rather take military action??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 5,360,847 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't care who is in charge of the military,
why do I have to pay with my tax money to protect them.

Let the free market decide...
You get robbed/hijacked off the coast of Somali... don't go over there.
That's called common sense

When a person gets mugged in times square, you say, don't go there?

As stated above. Your argument makes no sense.

This is what our government is for. If you are outraged over this, you should be REALLY outraged over the rest of the crap that is going on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
 
17,329 posts, read 23,497,028 times
Reputation: 15827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
When a person gets mugged in times square, you say, don't go there?

As stated above. Your argument makes no sense.

This is what our government is for. If you are outraged over this, you should be REALLY outraged over the rest of the crap that is going on.
Your argument doesn't make sense,
you are gonna compare a person in the city where he/she lives to a cargo ship in international waters on the other side of the World.

Don't go there or pay for somebody to protect you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 5,360,847 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Your argument doesn't make sense,
you are gonna compare a person in the city where he/she lives to a cargo ship in international waters on the other side of the World.

Don't go there or pay for somebody to protect you!
So if an American goes someplace that you don't feel they should be going, they don't deserve protection from our government? My argument DOES make sense. Where exactly is the line you draw? When an American citizen goes to Mexico and something happens to them. DO they not deserve help from our Government?

Im trying to understand where you are coming from. As for your tax money question in the OP. THere are probably far bigger concerns about where your tax money is going besides this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM
 
17,329 posts, read 23,497,028 times
Reputation: 15827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Im trying to understand where you are coming from.
A citizen = yes
A cargo ship = no ... they should have paid for people to protect them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
 
11,946 posts, read 14,218,829 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why is it that businesses now want a socialist (government step in and save their a...) solution to their problem with the Somali pirates?
What happened to the famous rightwing "Free market solution"

The solution is simple: "FREE MARKET"
(1) Take another route
(2) Give the pirates what they want
(3) Don't do business in that area.

Why should I have to pay with my tax money for the protection of those boats?
These ships fall under the category of merchant marines. They are used in time of war as needed. I see no reason why they shouldn't be armed to deal with a bunch of yahoos. Why are they not permitted to defend themselves when the govt of somalia is sitting on their own thumbs???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 4,099,925 times
Reputation: 1956
If you are going to require a "free-market solution," you'll have to give them all of the free-market options, such as arming themselves. As soon as governments limit this solution, they take over responsibility for the problem.

Are you sure you want all these commercial vessels arming themselves? It would solve the problem, and is really the only true "free-market solution."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top