Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:49 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I was attacked as a liar as soon as I posted a couple of weeks back. I have offered and will offer again to personally meet anyone who wishes to go to the show on June 14th or 15th in the Cantey Building at the S.C. State Fairgrounds to point out what I just recounted. Bring your money and you can go home with a pistol, no I.D. required, no background check, no waiting period.

If you then won't believe your own eyes, I can't do you any good. You'll just have to call me a liar.

Any takers?

I can't, not a resident of SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I can't, not a resident of SC.
I'm telling you, they don't ask if you don't tell. You don't even have to show a driver's license.

Come on down. DM me and I will be happy to take you there.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I'm telling you, they don't ask if you don't tell. You don't even have to show a driver's license.

Then it would be illegal in SC.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then it would be illegal in SC.

I have to confess I am ignorant on that particular fine point of law, but I am quite certain of what I watched take place and even more certain that I bought the S&W Kit Gun and the only thing I had to show was $425.00.

I hold two professional licenses and was investigated six ways from Sunday to get them. I went to the show in March 2007 expecting to have a check run. I had my driver's license out and was waved off by the seller. I insisted that he take my name and wrote it on an index card for him. He tossed it on the table behind him and probably dropped it in the circular file as soon as I left.

He had a sign in the two cases on opposite ends of the line of cases he had for sale announcing him as a "Private Seller". He did not have the phone hookup necessary to run paperwork. At that show he probably had close to a hundred handguns for sale, and I would bet dollars to doughnut holes he makes his living as a "Private Seller" without having to bother with an FFL.

Cut to the chase. Gun shows should continue to be legal and open to the public, but exhibitors wishing to sell firearms should be required to have a current FFL on display during the show, and background checks should be run on all purchasers. Teh way the show is run here may be legal since there is no way to accurately record the number of "Private Sales" without paperwork, but to me it makes a mockery of the law and I do not understand why a legitimate dealer would want these people tolerated since they are competition with essentially no overhead.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 PM

SC's laws are different than other states. Obvious statement. If you were a resident of MD I could legally transfer a long gun to you with no paperwork, but not a handgun.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
He had a sign in the two cases on opposite ends of the line of cases he had for sale announcing him as a "Private Seller". He did not have the phone hookup necessary to run paperwork. At that show he probably had close to a hundred handguns for sale, and I would bet dollars to doughnut holes he makes his living as a "Private Seller" without having to bother with an FFL.

Cut to the chase. Gun shows should continue to be legal and open to the public, but exhibitors wishing to sell firearms should be required to have a current FFL on display during the show, and background checks should be run on all purchasers. Teh way the show is run here may be legal since there is no way to accurately record the number of "Private Sales" without paperwork, but to me it makes a mockery of the law and I do not understand why a legitimate dealer would want these people tolerated since they are competition with essentially no overhead.
Why should a private individual need a special permit to sell his private property? Your trying to make an issue out of one that doesn't exist. Free men should be free to sell their personal property without government intervention. If you feel that uneasy about private gun ownership I'd suggest you think about immigrating to Canada or Australia. I'm sure your views would be more than welcome their.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why should a private individual need a special permit to sell his private property? Your trying to make an issue out of one that doesn't exist. Free men should be free to sell their personal property without government intervention. If you feel that uneasy about private gun ownership I'd suggest you think about immigrating to Canada or Australia. I'm sure your views would be more than welcome their.
What sort of paperwork did you have to fill out to buy your house and car, whether you purchased them from corporations or individuals? Did you purchase them with no government intervention and no paperwork? If so, how can you establish title to them so that you can sell your own property in the future? How can you even prove it is your property without paperwork?

I have never been against the private ownership of firearms, and it would help if you would read the entire thread before you comment. I have been a gun owner for more than fifty years and worked as a gunsmith for nearly four of those.

The issue is that this is a nation of laws, and those laws should be designed to protect the citizens. If you wish to be a firearms dealer, there are stringent guidelines you must adhere to in order to qualify for a Federal Firearms License. Many cannot or will not meet the requirements which call for a regular place of business and a controlled secure storage area for inventories of firearms.

These "Private Sellers" operate under the radar and when they are allowed to sell at gun shows it make a mockery of the entire legal system. Most of the dealers at shows are licensed and have their FFL numbers on display at their exhibits if not the license itself. I do not understand how they tolerate these fly-by-nights who make a living trafficking in arms without being licensed by the government to do so, since it cuts into their profits.

When I worked as an auctioneer I was not permitted to sell handguns unless they were certifiable antiques or designed for black powder because my firm did not have a FFL. Long guns were OK. I could sell five automobiles in a year, but if I exceeded that number I was liable for a fine unless I had an auto dealer's license.

Anyone who sells at a gun show should be required either to have a FFL or transfer the ownership of the guns through a licensed dealer. I am certain many of the dealers at the show have provisions in place to accomodate such transactions just as they do for transferring firearms across state lines that are bought at online auctions. It is high time this requirement was made and met.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:

Lots of undercover ATF agents making illegal sales, offers, etc., at gun shows.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:06 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
What sort of paperwork did you have to fill out to buy your house and car, whether you purchased them from corporations or individuals? Did you purchase them with no government intervention and no paperwork? If so, how can you establish title to them so that you can sell your own property in the future? How can you even prove it is your property without paperwork?

I have never been against the private ownership of firearms, and it would help if you would read the entire thread before you comment. I have been a gun owner for more than fifty years and worked as a gunsmith for nearly four of those.

The issue is that this is a nation of laws, and those laws should be designed to protect the citizens. If you wish to be a firearms dealer, there are stringent guidelines you must adhere to in order to qualify for a Federal Firearms License. Many cannot or will not meet the requirements which call for a regular place of business and a controlled secure storage area for inventories of firearms.

These "Private Sellers" operate under the radar and when they are allowed to sell at gun shows it make a mockery of the entire legal system. Most of the dealers at shows are licensed and have their FFL numbers on display at their exhibits if not the license itself. I do not understand how they tolerate these fly-by-nights who make a living trafficking in arms without being licensed by the government to do so, since it cuts into their profits.

When I worked as an auctioneer I was not permitted to sell handguns unless they were certifiable antiques or designed for black powder because my firm did not have a FFL. Long guns were OK. I could sell five automobiles in a year, but if I exceeded that number I was liable for a fine unless I had an auto dealer's license.

Anyone who sells at a gun show should be required either to have a FFL or transfer the ownership of the guns through a licensed dealer. I am certain many of the dealers at the show have provisions in place to accomodate such transactions just as they do for transferring firearms across state lines that are bought at online auctions. It is high time this requirement was made and met.
I will not be told I can't give or sell a gun to a relative, friend, or neighbor without paying a dealer $20 to over $100 to do a transfer. Furthermore, the feds have no authority to regulate intrastate commerce.

On top of that, such a law would be impossible to enforce anyways. There'd be nothing stopping a bad guy from selling a gun to another bad guy without going through a dealer. Such a law would only affect those who willingly follow it. Think a gangster is going to tell another thug "nope, sorry, can't sell this gun to you without going to a dealer and doing a background check." Give me a break, the people pushing this law must think we're all quite gullible and stupid.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I will not be told I can't give or sell a gun to a relative, friend, or neighbor without paying a dealer $20 to over $100 to do a transfer. Furthermore, the feds have no authority to regulate intrastate commerce.

On top of that, such a law would be impossible to enforce anyways. There'd be nothing stopping a bad guy from selling a gun to another bad guy without going through a dealer. Such a law would only affect those who willingly follow it. Think a gangster is going to tell another thug "nope, sorry, can't sell this gun to you without going to a dealer and doing a background check." Give me a break, the people pushing this law must think we're all quite gullible and stupid.
Without the background check there is no way to tell if the gun is being transferred to a fugitive, a felon, or a mental defective. Even with the check it could end up in the hands of a sociopath. But that is why a firearms dealer has a FFL which carries with it responsibilities to make certain the prospective gun owner is vetted as far as possible. No law can eliminate all problems but if the check is not performed it is guaranteed that no problems will be uncovered or resolved.

A gangster selling to a thug will not follow any sort of law, and the laws that are on the books calling for maximum penalties for anyone using a gun in the commission of a crime should be utilized to the fullest extent.

What are your ideas to keep guns out of the hands of criminals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies