Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Cheap shot against Republicans. I could make some lame joke about Democrats murdering people with their cars, but I won't.
Hey there's an idea Ban bridges or make you take a sobriety test before crossing one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Thanks for the compliment.

I think that was Laura Bush you are thinking of.
No Ted Kennedy killed someone while drunk and left the scene of the accident...

Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Making rules will only affect the people who follow the rules.

Those people are not your problem. Your problem is the people who don't follow the rules. They will be unaffected by any legislation/gun control.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 AM

825 posts, read 2,820,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I went to the gun show here in Columbia a couple of weeks ago and posted here that I had stood by a table manned by a "private owner" and watched two handguns change hands for no consideration other than ready cash. Names were not exchanged, there was no background check, and no paperwork was generated.

I was all but called a liar by another poster.

Who was the purchaser? We'll never know. Just hope that he hasn't decided to come to your community if he wants to make a statement.
A college kid whose sister was killed at VT was on 60 minutes last night. He said he went to a gun show to see if he could buy guns. I don't recall all the details but he did say when he was asked for his ID he refused. The guy offered to sell him the gun for an additional $15.00. That would do this I found troubling.

In addition, VA does not require background checks for personal sales. A Virginia legislature vote to require background checks on these transactions failed by 2 votes.

Would it be so "bad" to have background checks on personal sales?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
How would it be done?

How would it stop firearms from being sold illegally?

What is the point of it?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

And how is that going to happen?

I need to bring my personally owned item to a gun dealer , long with the prospective buyer, and subject myself and the buyer to additional costs, taxes, time and intrusion from the government.

The government cant keep admitted drug users out of the White House, how are they going to keep one from buying a guns?

I want less government, not more.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:16 AM

825 posts, read 2,820,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How would it be done?

How would it stop firearms from being sold illegally?

What is the point of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
And how is that going to happen?

I need to bring my personally owned item to a gun dealer , long with the prospective buyer, and subject myself and the buyer to additional costs, taxes, time and intrusion from the government.

The government cant keep admitted drug users out of the White House, how are they going to keep one from buying a guns?

I want less government, not more.
I don't know how it would work. So perhaps that's the better question to ask, how would it work? Perhaps someone with experience as a gun dealer, hunter, etc could lend their perspective? Are there states that prohibit personal sales at gun shows or require background checks on these types of transactions?

Could such requirements help in a situation like this?

Dealer regrets sale of gun used in murder-suicide

Old 04-18-2009, 11:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I "hope" you got eyes in the back of your head.

gun control laws against the law abiding citizens have killed more innocent people than they have helped.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
gun control laws against the law abiding citizens have killed more innocent people than they have helped.
The first thing that has to happen before any open and honest interchange of ideas takes place is the destruction of the "Us-versus-Them" mentality that pervades this issue. George W. Bush almost destroyed this entire country because of that sort of bullsquat.

Do you have an answer for my question?

How many gun sales in what period of time does it take before a "private seller" becomes an "unlicensed dealer"?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:04 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
How many gun sales in what period of time does it take before a "private seller" becomes an "unlicensed dealer"?
That's entirely at the whims of an ATF agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies