Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

When a republican proposes something crazy,
the media never lets people know that that person is a republican.

House Bill 818 by Campfield
Republican state representative Stacey Campfield Knoxville District 18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
When a republican proposes something crazy,
the media never lets people know that that person is a republican.

House Bill 818 by Campfield
Republican state representative Stacey Campfield Knoxville District 18
Were you ever in doubt of which party this proposal came from?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Buying a lottery ticket is not a scam. The rules are clear if you win or lose. Buying a house no longer is money in the bank. You are taking a bigger risk buying a house. In fact 99% of those who own a home see it valued less then they purchased it for.

Hey it's about choices. It's there if you want to buy it or just dont buy it. I dont want your govt (not mine) telling us what to do. I would rather see them all self destruct and die a slow death then to see them on their current path to total communism.
OK do you want to trade you house for a lottery ticket?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
The government assist any number of individuals and corporations and yet they don't control their actions to such a degree. They probably should not waste their money on alcohol, cigarettes, cable television, expensive sneakers, etc... so why pick on this? It just seems mean and designed to further punish poor people.
Exactly!

But, if you're a BULLY with the bully mentality you pick on those you can pick on...and shudder in fear at the mere thought of restricting what the Wealthy Welfare Queens of Wall Street and the Banking industry SUCKED off the taxpayers.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The lottery is abuse of the poor, get rid of it.

The lottery, or more accurate term, lootery, is nothing more than a tax on stupid and bad at math crowd.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The lottery, or more accurate term, lootery, is nothing more than a tax on stupid and bad at math crowd.

Agree. But at least the money does go to an educational fund (at least in NC).

Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
This proposal is so retarded and easy to bypass. If I was on welfare and won the Lottery I'd just give my ticket to a family member to cash it in for me. Best thing about Tennessee is the state border. Good Grief!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The lottery is abuse of the poor, get rid of it.
Exactly!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
End the lottery?

Here's Minnesota's stats for 2008:
FISCAL YEAR 2008 REVENUE DISTRIBUTION

Total Revenue: $463.10 million

Net Profits to State Programs: $116.26 million
For every dollar spent on Lottery tickets in Fiscal Year 2008:

• 60.4 cents paid players prizes for winning tickets
  • 8.5 cents was used to pay ticket, lotto vendor and administrative costs
  • 6.0 cents was paid to retailers in the form of commissions and incentives
The remaining 25.1 cents went to the state:

• 13.8 cents to the state General Fund to support services such as K-12 education, health care, aid to local governments and public safety. Of this amount, $2.53 million was set aside to help combat problem gambling. From the Lottery’s inception through June 2008, $994.7 million has gone to the General Fund.
  • 6.6 cents to the Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund to finance projects that preserve, restore and enhance our state's natural resources. The Trust Fund is financing 31 projects, totaling $23 million, for fiscal year 2008. From the start of the Lottery through June 2008, the Trust Fund has received more than $459 million.
  • 4.7 cents more to the state's environment, which received a boost when the 2000 Legislature reallocated the in-lieu-of-sales tax. This money, which was previously allocated to the General Fund, now goes to fish and game, parks, trails and zoos.
    • 2.35 cents to the Game and Fish Fund
    • 2.35 cents to the Natural Resources Fund """""""""
[/LEFT]

Shows a few people did get "hit by lightning".

And, if the lottery goes where does the money for the things listed come from?.....Higher taxes maybe?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
It would make more sense to me to enact a bill that requires any welfare recipient that comes in to ANY lump some of money (lottery, gifts, lawsuits, etc) to pay back whatever benefits they have received, and then allow the person to keep the rest. There are already limits on how much a person/family can have in savings or assets (roughly one car and up to $2000 in cash, plus a few other things..), so by the regulations already in place, once a welfare recipient comes into a large sum of cash, they are then disqualified for further benefits. Why should the government have the right to take MORE money from a person than they spent on that person, as in taking everything but $600? If I was on welfare, won a million, and had the chance to buy a home, finish college, start a business or otherwise support myself and stay the hell off welfare, why would the gvt want to take that away and leave me still eligible and on the welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies