U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you against giving gays the right to legally marry?
Yes 26 34.21%
No 50 65.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM

10,479 posts, read 14,933,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post

Next they'll be crying about not getting to have public sex acts.
Hmm, I don't know, I don't hear heterosexuals crying about not being allowed to have sex in public. Oh yeah, remember that one heterosexual couple that had sex in the famous St. Patrick's cathedral? Or was it just outside on the steps...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,112,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm okay with that. All the fun people will be in hell anyway.
So will Ghandi. We'll rock on.

This is quite simple in my eyes. The government should only provide civil union certificates to both heterosexual and homosexual couples... and churches should be allowed to give out "marriage" certificates to whatever couples it deems fit. It seems to me that most folks are just bothered by the term "marriage" applying to homosexuals for whatever reason.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM

25,153 posts, read 51,916,756 times
I agree with that. That seems to make the most sense actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post

This is quite simple in my eyes. The government should only provide civil union certificates to both heterosexual and homosexual couples... and churches should be allowed to give out "marriage" certificates to whatever couples it deems fit. It seems to me that most folks are just bothered by the term "marriage" applying to homosexuals for whatever reason.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 PM

7,339 posts, read 9,878,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
I think when you can marry your poodle, then gay marriage should be legalized too!

Now, since its offensive to even think (well, at least to most human beings, we will disregards the weirdos who think its ok, as that will 'skew' this train of thought), that a person could marry thier poodles, its also offensive to Christians and other Religions who think its wrong also, to have to put up with our tax dollars going towards the marriage of indiviuals, such as a man and man or woman and woman. (Yep, they have to 'register' to get a marriage lisence, so, they are wasting man/woman hours to register them).

I would never approve this, and we 'know' what the Bible says about homosexuals...so, as I always say, Democrats have no morals, as they are the ones pushing for this form of marriage. Leave it between a man and a woman!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Newsflash: Not everybody is a Christian.

Newsflash#2: We live in a country where there is a separation of church and state

Newsflash#3: Therefore, we don't make laws in this country according to Christian religious beliefs. So please keep your Christianity out of the personal lives of Americans.

Newsflash#4: Bestiality is not the same as homosexuality.

Final Newsflash: Sooner or later, gay marriage will be legal in every one of the 50 states. Get used to it or move out of the country.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Absolutely not. And for good reason. There is supposed to be a separation of church and state for one thing, so there is no link between legal marriage and religious marriage. Legal marriage is simply paperwork giving the married couple the same legal rights anyone else would be afforded under marriage law. It has nothing to do with religion unless you just feel you have to put the two together.

I don't remember the Bible requiring you to have a state license to be married before the lord. In fact, other than for tax and medical reasons, I can't see why anyone ever gets "legally" married. I can almost understand gay marriage more than str8 marriage as far as the legality is concerned, because they need that certificate to give them credibility amongst society and government where a str8 couple merely has to say they are married and it is accepted as true and right.

So why don't we just put this issue to rest right here and now, and simply agree that legally we are all equal in this country and should be afforded the same rights and freedoms as anyone else. The legal union of two human beings should be of no consequence to people of certain religious backgrounds, because the state marriage license has nothing to do with your religion. That is what is so awesome about the separation of church and state. No religion need ever be offended by government business because it has nothing to do with them or how they operate.
Exactly. A civil marriage is a civil right.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
You said it, not me.

Bummer that you non-believers will be damned to an eternal life in the torment of fire and brimstone for being the way you are and failing to come to your senses.
Clearly, you believe in the possibility of a person being "damned to an eternal life in the torment of fire and brimstone." And some people also believe that virgins await them in heaven if they blow themselves and others up in the name of Allah. As you might imagine, some of us think that neither scenario is remotely likely.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 PM

3,050 posts, read 11,176,200 times
Quote:
I agree with you completely. Since when did "the government" get into the business of the church (marriage)? Since marriage is a religious establishment, the government should not be involved in it. Marriages should be performed in the church, while the courts should only be able to perform civil unions. I agree with you that this is really quite simple.

By the way, gays have had the right to marry all along, as long as it was otherwise legal (i.e. man/woman). What they haven't been able to do until recently is marry someone of the same sex. Just because a man may have professed to be gay, there was never any prohibition on his marrying a woman.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM

8,740 posts, read 11,138,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
I think when you can marry your poodle, then gay marriage should be legalized too!

Now, since its offensive to even think (well, at least to most human beings, we will disregards the weirdos who think its ok, as that will 'skew' this train of thought), that a person could marry thier poodles, its also offensive to Christians and other Religions who think its wrong also, to have to put up with our tax dollars going towards the marriage of indiviuals, such as a man and man or woman and woman. (Yep, they have to 'register' to get a marriage lisence, so, they are wasting man/woman hours to register them).

I would never approve this, and we 'know' what the Bible says about homosexuals...so, as I always say, Democrats have no morals, as they are the ones pushing for this form of marriage. Leave it between a man and a woman!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Well guess what? I dont care what the Bible says. YOUR religion should have no impact on ME like MY religion should have no impact on YOU. Got it?

Good

And may LORD Vishnu Bless you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
You said it, not me.

Bummer that you non-believers will be damned to an eternal life in the torment of fire and brimstone for being the way you are and failing to come to your senses.
Bummer you will be reincarnated as a bug. And why are you making judgements on us? I thought only God was supposed too?

Quote:

HELL yeah (pardon the pun) Awesome people will be in Hell it seems like since Christian like to damn everyone aside from themselves.

It is cool though. I will enjoy it! Kinda sad that people (Like Ghandi) who were more Christian than people on this forum are supposedly in hell simply because they werent Christian.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 AM

2,890 posts, read 3,859,476 times
I really wish the government didn't take over marriage, that is a religious institution that should be left for each religion to decide. for tax and other civil purposes civil unions are enough what i'm for is revoking the ability of the government to give out marriage licenses while making all civil rights for gays the same as heterosexual people just don't expect me to call there union a marriage or force my church to let them in.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,644,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Exactly. A civil marriage is a civil right.

The hell it is. Breathing is a right. Marriage is a privilage, only extended to those who are not closely related, not the same sex, and of the same species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies