U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM

313 posts, read 354,538 times

Advertisements

VIDEO: This is about how Army doctors are told NOT to diagnose PTSD in returning vets and military.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2009/04/09/phillips.veterans.group.cnn

This is not right how they are treating these vets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM

4,883 posts, read 7,597,160 times
This is old news. Everyone knew that was the order way back in Dec 2004 when I came back from Iraq. They were pinching pennies and trying to deny vets the medical treatment they need and are owed in order to save money.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 AM

3,297 posts, read 5,799,043 times
Default It's been going on for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
This is old news. Everyone knew that was the order way back in Dec 2004 when I came back from Iraq. They were pinching pennies and trying to deny vets the medical treatment they need and are owed in order to save money.
It's been going on for decades. It doesn't matter who is in the White House.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 AM

57 posts, read 130,195 times
IMO, we have been treating our vets poorly since Vietnam, maybe even before that. It's rather sickening that these people are out there enduring terrible hardships and we can't even give them psychological services. I am very passionate about this as my grandfather fought in the Korean War and an older gentleman who I look up to received a purple heart fighting for our country. It is a shame to treat our vets this way.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,332,569 times
We need to better prepare soldiers for war. IMO, most of the people I served with were terrified to be deployed and were not in a mental capacity to handle combat. They need to better screen recruits and only take the ones that really can handle the stress. Then raise the pay to what it should be.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:14 AM

795 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
We need to better prepare soldiers for war. IMO, most of the people I served with were terrified to be deployed and were not in a mental capacity to handle combat. They need to better screen recruits and only take the ones that really can handle the stress. Then raise the pay to what it should be.

I have an uncle that is currently serving that said the exact same thing.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
I don't believe that is the case. I've seen men freeze, have psychotic breaks, and just not be able to function and they had the best training as marines you can get. This is an individual case by case situation in which you can't possibly predict how someone is going to react to being in combat until they are. Doc

Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,799,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
What happens in combat is not normal for most people to see and be part of. You can read some of my experiences from the Vietnam War at: The Experiences Of A Vietnam Veteran

I'm glad I was NOT a natural born killer. Training only goes so far.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,189,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
It's been going on for decades. It doesn't matter who is in the White House.

That's absolutely right. There has always been pressure on the Doc's not to diagnose conditions that were open-ended, and tied into a lot of other problems. Sleep Apnea for example, can lead to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems and depression. They drug their feet behind the private sector for years. I don't think the docs are the problem; it's just that the promises have always greatly exceeded the actual legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies