Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Young and conservative?
Sure -shows you have a brain 46 60.53%
Unusual, but acceptable. 12 15.79%
Nah -something wrong with your heart! 18 23.68%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
people may be young and liberal, but if they ever enjoy any level of success, they will grow a brain and become a libertarian. only the failures vote for democrats when they get older.
Really? Those making over $200K per year went for Obama 52-46. I wonder what the median age of those making over $200K per year is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
because most people don't know that there are 3rd parties. this election, we were given the choice of two liberals. there was no real choice. oh, and 52-46 is hardly a landslide. I wrote in a dead candidate. another reason they might have voted for the democrat candidate is because they were under the impression that this election was somehow historic, and they were just sick of 8 years of a liberal republican like bush. they liked the bumper sticker slogan obama ran on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Really? Those making over $200K per year went for Obama 52-46. I wonder what the median age of those making over $200K per year is...

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM

144 posts, read 407,414 times
*Raises hand.* I'm a young FEMALE Republican. Seems like a rarity these days, though I lean more on fiscal conservatism, and my one HUGE social issue is that I am pro life. Glad to know there are other young Republicans, the young ones are especially lonely. :-p

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM

57 posts, read 138,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm young (20) and the last four years have turned me into a Conservative Libertarian.
This is the only acceptable response .

Lol, jk jk. If I had to label myself I would have to say Libertarian, though I shun labels in the general sense. The truth is, I don't really fit in with any group, I like to call myself a Small-Government Fiscally-Conservative Pragmatic Idealist Libertarian.

To stay on topic, I am fairly conservative for my age, though too much of a "live and let live" libertarian attitude keeps me from fitting in with conservatives. IMHO, it is perfectly fine to be young and Republican as long as your opinions are well thought out. Another thing I would like to add is don't be afraid if your beliefs start to change, embrace the new ideas and don't automatically disregard any ideas just because a "liberal" said it! They can have good ideas too, lol.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:39 AM

27 posts, read 51,676 times
Yeah, life events sure have a huge bearing on how we think politically!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 AM

37,181 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_N View Post
Yeah, life events sure have a huge bearing on how we think politically!

They sure do.

You should have been around for Richard Nixon.

Experiencing his presidency cured a LOT of people of republican tendencies for life.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 AM

27 posts, read 51,676 times
Controversial, maybe, but I'd say it was very, very difficult to be a liberal in the military. People are free to disagree with me if they want!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
To admit being a Republican is like committing suicide for young people. There is nothing "cool" about Republicans & why high schools & colleges are overwhelmingly Democratic. A kid who publicly supports the GOP will be seen as a dork or super-religious fanatic. Either way he/she will be alienated\ nearly friendless.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
because most people don't know that there are 3rd parties. this election, we were given the choice of two liberals. there was no real choice. oh, and 52-46 is hardly a landslide. I wrote in a dead candidate. another reason they might have voted for the democrat candidate is because they were under the impression that this election was somehow historic, and they were just sick of 8 years of a liberal republican like bush. they liked the bumper sticker slogan obama ran on.

This entire post is seriously reaching. Especially the bolded.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM

122 posts, read 210,039 times
I am young and a conservative too. I think it's wierd that that young hippie like people are Democrats. They are usually free spirits and the Democrats seem to want to control everyone with big government. Republicans are more for personal freedom. I am a free spirit and control is one thing I cannot stand. Of course there are many other reasons that I am a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies