U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,711,147 times

Advertisements

OMG: This poor young woman. Her family had her lobotomized. Why had I never known this? What a sick family.

Rosemary Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,908,168 times
Well, her family didn't - her father did. It is my understanding that Joe Kennedy did it behind his wifes back, and when it turned out to be a disaster and she found out about it, it is said Rose Kennedy never forgave him.
I do believe that is why the Kennedy family did get involved (start it maybe?) with the special olympics.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:15 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,828,289 times
Yes camping the article mentions that. I think the problem with mental illness in the family, and having all the money in the world, mislead him to believe in a cure. Tragic without a doubt, but enabled by the medical profession for $$$ is a disgrace beyond measure.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, her family didn't - her father did. It is my understanding that Joe Kennedy did it behind his wifes back, and when it turned out to be a disaster and she found out about it, it is said Rose Kennedy never forgave him.
I do believe that is why the Kennedy family did get involved (start it maybe?) with the special olympics.
Thanks. I've done a bit more reading up on it. It seems that Joe Kennedy was quite the jerk, in general. Still, what a horrible, horrible thing to do to a human being. I can't believe his wife stayed with him.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:53 PM

5,762 posts, read 4,697,851 times
Psychosurgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the lobotomy was performed on Rosemary Kennedy, it was considered to be state of the art medical care; despite his many faults, Joe Kennedy did not ok the surgery due to any malicious motive. The doctors had assured him that Rosemary would be calmer. Today, she would undoubtedly be diagnosed with some form of depression.
Rosemary is by no means an isolated case; there was also an actress named Frances Farmer who was lobotomized. There is a wonderful movie about her, called "Frances" and starring Jessica
Lange. Frances was highly intelligent and independent, so her mother kept having her committed to
psychiatric facilities because she couldn't control her. It's a book as well, I believe.
Frances ended up on television in Indianapolis, as the host of the afternoon movie program. Yes, in the original link to Rosemary it states that Eunice Shriver founded the Special Olympics in honor of her sister. While the surgery was a horrific mistake, the Kennedy family did not neglect Rosemary nor
forget about her. Given the simplicity of the "ice pick method" of performing frontal lobe lobotomies, it's a miracle that more weren't done. How ironic that those with the money to seek expert medical
care were the main victims.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Psychosurgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the lobotomy was performed on Rosemary Kennedy, it was considered to be state of the art medical care; despite his many faults, Joe Kennedy did not ok the surgery due to any malicious motive. The doctors had assured him that Rosemary would be calmer. Today, she would undoubtedly be diagnosed with some form of depression.
Rosemary is by no means an isolated case; there was also an actress named Frances Farmer who was lobotomized. There is a wonderful movie about her, called "Frances" and starring Jessica
Lange. Frances was highly intelligent and independent, so her mother kept having her committed to
psychiatric facilities because she couldn't control her. It's a book as well, I believe.
Frances ended up on television in Indianapolis, as the host of the afternoon movie program. Yes, in the original link to Rosemary it states that Eunice Shriver founded the Special Olympics in honor of her sister. While the surgery was a horrific mistake, the Kennedy family did not neglect Rosemary nor
forget about her. Given the simplicity of the "ice pick method" of performing frontal lobe lobotomies, it's a miracle that more weren't done. How ironic that those with the money to seek expert medical
care were the main victims.
Apparently, at least one friend of the family warned them that this operation was dangerous, and that their daughter would be lost forever. But Joe Kennedy went ahead with the operation, without--apparently--the approval of Rose Kennedy. She should have left him.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 PM

8,264 posts, read 12,068,212 times
His flaw was he trusted the doctors.... DO you trust them today? How about the FDA... surely they wouldnt approve anything harmful.... I suspect you are in a glass house hurling your stones. When did you last challenge the word of a doctor? Do you take medications?... did you read the possible side effects?
It is a sad case with Rosemary but she isnt alone. Much good came from this one incident and perhaps her notoriety put a sooner end to the procedures.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 PM

5,762 posts, read 4,697,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
His flaw was he trusted the doctors.... DO you trust them today? How about the FDA... surely they wouldnt approve anything harmful.... I suspect you are in a glass house hurling your stones. When did you last challenge the word of a doctor? Do you take medications?... did you read the possible side effects?
It is a sad case with Rosemary but she isnt alone. Much good came from this one incident and perhaps her notoriety put a sooner end to the procedures.
This hits a nerve with me; I was misdiagnosed as having Crohn's Disease, when I actually have celiac disease. For ten years I was given medication that I didn't need, and ate exactly the wrong diet; I trusted my doctors. It
took a PA in Boulder to order a DNA test ( I consulted her by telephone! )
to get me on the right path. I will spare you the gory details of living during those years.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,385,928 times
Lobotomies were very common for the mentally ill and anyone who went against societal norms in those days. Most of the time, people didn't come out as bad as Rosemary (you'd think they would) but definitely altered. Most of these surgeries were performed in Nordic countries, Alpanes, the US, UK, and USSR.

They realized that behavior could be altered by altering the brain. First round, we did it physically. Now, we use psychotropics. It's unfortunate it happened, but it did. No body knew anything about psychiatry then, and we still don't today.

Quote:
Apparently, at least one friend of the family warned them that this operation was dangerous, and that their daughter would be lost forever. But Joe Kennedy went ahead with the operation, without--apparently--the approval of Rose Kennedy. She should have left him.
I don't know where you heard this (source?), but I never read about that in the Rosemary K case. As I said, though, he put his faith in doctors and it was a failure. They also thought smoking was good for you as crazy as that sounds. Again, they were stupid then. We will look stupid and barbaric in the future of medicine most likely.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 AM

38,438 posts, read 50,027,238 times
The Washington Post had a story a few years ago about a Dr. that had a traveling lobotomy van. Went around the Midwest, and elsewhere, performing lobs for depression, mostly on women. Went on through the 50's into the early 60's. Sorry I can't find a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies