Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
The religious Right, Fundamentalists and Reconstructionists have all too often confused the stated law of this nation and their desire for a Christian nation.

Oil and water, my friends, oil and water.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/Jefferson1807-1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
I don't read Dutch or small 18th century script.

All I see is, "in the year of our Lord Christ." what does that prove? Technically we are in the year of our Lord 2010, seeing as how time is counted from His birth, approx 2010 years ago.

Like has been said by a multitude of people, our Founders had a mutliplicity of beliefs. But they set them aside to found and create this nation, for the benefit of ALL humanity. They knew the history of Europe, they knew the history of Puritan New England. They saw the toll theocracy took of the lives of the citizens and the utter destruction of liberty and the rights of men and women.

It really isn't difficult. To me as an American there can be nothing more sacred. And as a good Christian, I am not insulted. Our founders gave me and my family a nation where we could practice our faith as individuals free from tyranny and persecution. The modern right wing would have that taken away, for what? The defense of Christianity?

So stop trying.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I don't read Dutch or small 18th century script.

All I see is, "in the year of our Lord Christ." what does that prove? Technically we are in the year of our Lord 2010, seeing as how time is counted from His birth, approx 2010 years ago.

Like has been said by a multitude of people, our Founders had a mutliplicity of beliefs. But they set them aside to found and create this nation, for the benefit of ALL humanity. They knew the history of Europe, they knew the history of Puritan New England. They saw the toll theocracy took of the lives of the citizens and the utter destruction of liberty and the rights of men and women.

It really isn't difficult. To me as an American there can be nothing more sacred. And as a good Christian, I am not insulted. Our founders gave me and my family a nation where we could practice our faith as individuals free from tyranny and persecution. The modern right wing would have that taken away, for what? The defense of Christianity?

So stop trying.

The letter is an official government document signed by the President of the United States Thomas Jefferson...... Our Lord Christ is on the document.

Enough of the Sophistry.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The letter is an official government document signed by the President of the United States Thomas Jefferson...... Our Lord Christ is on the document.

Enough of the Sophistry.
It's English for the phrase "In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ" in Latin, which shortens to Anno Domini.

Even atheists use Gregorian calendar years.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelablumhoefer View Post
do you know how hard it is for some one to grow up gay in a Christen family when they think you perverted, and the gay child cannot be attracted to the opposite sex no matter how hard they try to be "normal"? well it led to suicide! Which is also biblically incorrect. This person was more giving than many Christians. So to me sometimes I think christianity is the evil. And why to so many gays become priests, and why do some priests molest children? Religion is different in different countries, simply because of money and polotics. Do not judge others for you may be being judged by someone or something you are naieve to , where inturn you are the evil one.
Angela, I understand, but can't sympathize because I am not gay. I know that in the space of this thread, you'll never understand what I am attempting to share, but I hope I can give you hope. Let's assume that you and millions of people were/are born gay. That is a congenital matter. I can accept that and therefore, love you as Christ instructed us to love our neighbor and leave judgement to God. What I can't accept is that gays want us to accept that it's not a birth defect just like a clift-palate or a club foot. We love those children, but we don't celebrate their defect and through medicine we are are able to repair so many defects. It's simply like sin, God teaches us to love the sinner, but not the sin. Therefore, churches often are loving you, but not loving the flaw, but few people can understand the difference.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how many of the people who believe that Christ rose from the dead aren't Christians. According to Rasmussen's latest poll of this kind of thing 78% or our people believe that. Also, i wonder how many of the 85% who believe that Christ did walk on the Earth 2000 years ago aren't Christians.

78% Think Jesus Christ Rose from the Dead - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢
I can only share the scripture that says "the devil also believes, and trimbles"

Obviously, I am not much of a Bible thumper/quoter. When a person quotes only one line, one phrase, one verse, they typically are missing the point. Unless a reader understands the entire scope of the Bible, they will become legalistic or dogmatic.

As a Baptist, I believe that each person has their own relationship with their God. I have questioned Christianity often. How could this be possible, Thomas doubted, but then he believed.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In this new American political climate, I wonder why we dare celebrate Easter openly. I can share only that I remember my questioning of the Christian faith.

So, for those of you who don't understand the celebration of Life that Christians are sharing with each other, the party is a come one come all event and every one who attends shall be given the greatest gift of life. I'll explain how to get an invitation to anyone who desires.

Maybe, for those of you who hate Christianity so much like the Jewish henchman Saul, I recommend that instead of standing outside the doors and yelling, open the doors and go in, maybe go back in. You might be surprised as Paul was.

President Obama, the United States is a Christian-based nation. The influx of non-Christians is what has changed.
Probaly will be renamed Spring Festival or Festivus

Old 04-05-2010, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I fail to comprehend any of this. Easter is a Christian celebration of an important biblical event. What politics have to be involved?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I fail to comprehend any of this. Easter is a Christian celebration of an important biblical event. What politics have to be involved?
Christmas is an important celebration of biblical event. yet the PC police insist on not calling it Christmas and instead call it winter holidays.
yet we have easter sales and that is not viewed critical.
I agree why does politics and being PC have to be involved

Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In this new American political climate, I wonder why we dare celebrate Easter openly. I can share only that I remember my questioning of the Christian faith.

So, for those of you who don't understand the celebration of Life that Christians are sharing with each other, the party is a come one come all event and every one who attends shall be given the greatest gift of life. I'll explain how to get an invitation to anyone who desires.

Maybe, for those of you who hate Christianity so much like the Jewish henchman Saul, I recommend that instead of standing outside the doors and yelling, open the doors and go in, maybe go back in. You might be surprised as Paul was.

President Obama, the United States is a Christian-based nation. The influx of non-Christians is what has changed.

Is Ramadan politically correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies