Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:18 PM

33 posts, read 49,635 times

Advertisements

Okay so countless Christians are whining about how same sex marriage is evil and immoral etc. and that's why the government has banned it. Where in the Constitution does it say that the government has the right to rule the morality of what sex a person prefers to love? It doesn't. We have other issues to attend to, like the growing nuclear threat of Iran and North Korea, along with the problems in the Middle-East and growing energy concerns. We don't need to be paying attention to another person's personal life, especially of who they sleep with in bed.

So in an honest opinion, can you explain to me why it's the government's concern of who I want to sleep with and love? Nothing is right or wrong. I just want to see what other people think.

~Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Seems to me that this is one of those rights reserved to the people.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 PM

668 posts, read 2,185,962 times
Marriage is a privledge...not a right. A privledge can be taken away, or denied.
Before you get married, you have to apply for a lisence...and its granted to you by the Government of these United States of America. If they deny you that, the you simply dont get married and probably live in sin or forget it altogether.

85% of people in the United States are Christians, and its the Christians who follow the teachings of CHRIST who believe that Homosexuallly is an abomination and refuse to allow it in thier State if they are given a chance to vote on it. Even as secular as California is, they voted Gay marriage down, (I know, with the help of the Mormons money), but, if California, who are the most liberal in the Nation doesnt back it, I cant see anyone in the Bible belt even thinking about going for it, if given the chance to vote on an issue such as this.

I am a Christian and proud to be a follower of JESUS CHRIST!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Marriage is a privledge...not a right. A privledge can be taken away, or denied.
Before you get married, you have to apply for a lisence...and its granted to you by the Government of these United States of America. If they deny you that, the you simply dont get married and probably live in sin or forget it altogether.

85% of people in the United States are Christians, and its the Christians who follow the teachings of CHRIST who believe that Homosexuallly is an abomination and refuse to allow it in thier State if they are given a chance to vote on it. Even as secular as California is, they voted Gay marriage down, (I know, with the help of the Mormons money), but, if California, who are the most liberal in the Nation doesnt back it, I cant see anyone in the Bible belt even thinking about going for it, if given the chance to vote on an issue such as this.

I am a Christian and proud to be a follower of JESUS CHRIST!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Marriage is in fact a right, at least in the United States anyhow. See Loving vs Virginia (1967)

Old 04-12-2009, 06:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatheusPeace View Post
Okay so countless Christians are whining about how same sex marriage is evil and immoral etc. and that's why the government has banned it. Where in the Constitution does it say that the government has the right to rule the morality of what sex a person prefers to love? It doesn't. We have other issues to attend to, like the growing nuclear threat of Iran and North Korea, along with the problems in the Middle-East and growing energy concerns. We don't need to be paying attention to another person's personal life, especially of who they sleep with in bed.

So in an honest opinion, can you explain to me why it's the government's concern of who I want to sleep with and love? Nothing is right or wrong. I just want to see what other people think.

~Thanks~

I don't think you really want a dialogue, starting an inquiry with an insult ensures you get either a hostile response or a bunch of people who agree with you. If you are truly curious make another less confrontational post.

I am truly curious, does your tolerance extend to plural marriages?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,240 times
To my knowledge the federal government has not banned gay marriage, it is a state by state issue... And rightfully so, considering petty social issues such as gay marriage should NOT be interfering with the more important issues the federal government has to deal with at this time.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatheusPeace View Post

~Thanks~
And yet you seem to totally ignore that absolute obliteration of a religious family that happened to have a mother run for office. Those "tolerant" went way further into someones home than any dislikes of gay marriage ever has.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And yet you seem to totally ignore that absolute obliteration of a religious family that happened to have a mother run for office. Those "tolerant" went way further into someones home than any dislikes of gay marriage ever has.

If this post references Sarah Palin, it must be noted that her daughter traveled with her and campaigned as well; the fact that she was pregnant was quite obvious. Bristol and Levi had not married, and are apparently no longer a couple. We "tolerant" simply pointed out the fact that a candidate who advocates total abstinence had a daughter who was pregnant and unmarried; again, the photos of Bristol needed no explanation as to the reason for a weight gain. Bristol could very well have remained in Wasilla and cared for Palin's autistic child; that would have been the best case scenario for the health and well-being of both of them.
However, the denial of certain civil rights to gays and lesbians is not an
example of American justice being served; too often long-term partners are
denied hospital visitation rights, the right to adopt, the right to serve openly in the military, and the banal (and therefore evil) right to freedom from discrimination in terms of jobs, housing, etc. Here wrong-minded governance has for too long overridden our sense of fairness.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Palin used her family as a tool..One tool leading a family of tools I guess.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Palin used her family as a tool..One tool leading a family of tools I guess.

Obama had his daughters on 60 minutes, are they fair game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies