Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:52 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
He's a big time Obamatron. Obama is flawless and can do no wrong in his eyes.
You're a die hard Obama Hater - I guess that makes us even???

Just can't stand it when Obama is successful - huhhhh???

Glad to inform you that you are going to have lots and lots of really rough days ahead!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
ROE allows the Commanding Officer of a USN ship authority to fire on hostiles to defend US assets or the lives of others. It's not like this was some super-special action that Obama specifically green-lighted.
Yes that ROE sounds perfectly legitimate...I hope that's what happened.

Going by this military's shoddy record of giving out information, Obama's willingness to maintain Bush's policy of secrecy, and the Media's spinelessness.

I doubt we will ever know what really happened.

Last edited by padcrasher; 04-12-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
You're a die hard Obama Hater - I guess that makes us even???

Just can't stand it when Obama is successful - huhhhh???

Glad to inform you that you are going to have lots and lots of really rough days ahead!!!
Nope not an Obama hater at all. I hope he is successful, although I think he's being pretty wreckless with the way he's spending money and it's going to come back to haunt us. The difference is I'm willing to criticize him and not blindly accept whatever he wants to do

Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes that ROE sounds perfectly legitimate...I hope that's what happened.

Going by this military's shoddy record of giving out information, Obama's willingness to maintain Bush's policy of secrecy, and the Media's spinelessness.

I doubt will ever know what really happened.
Obama had to authorize use of force in this situation..

He did so - twice: Obama twice approved force to rescue hostage

Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Obama had to authorize use of force in this situation..

He did so - twice: Obama twice approved force to rescue hostage
Yes I don't doubt that...I'm referring to the actual standoff and shooting.

I'm damn sure am not going to take a "news report" of a "military briefing" as the gospel truth.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You have posted this three different times, just because you feel it is a 'good comment' does not mean you should start a brand new topic about it, especially since the moderators have been merging the past 3 into the larger one...

And yes, after 5 days Obama finally authorized the use of force.. And we should all be thankful he finally got around to it.

However, as I said before we should not turn this political or make it something to fight over..
Obama authorized use of force as early as Friday. They had to wait for a good opportunity.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes I don't doubt that...I'm referring to the actual standoff and shooting.

I'm damn sure am not going to take a "news report" of a "military briefing" as the gospel truth.
OK - then where ARE you going to get your 'gospel truth'?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Yes -the Navy Seals and sharpshooters did the job - they were the ones who performed brilliantly - and they deserve the thanks of the entire nation!!!

But there is definitely a political component to this story - and you cannot deny it - as much as you want to...

Obama auithorized use of force to free the hostage Captain - without that - the captain would still be a hostage...

Unlike when we had Osama Bin Laden in Tora Bora - and Bush refused to commit US troops to block his escape- this time Obama took decisive action - which directly led to the captains rescue..

Sorry - but you CANNOT downplay the role that Obama had in the outcome of this situation....
I whole heartedly agree!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Big wheel keep on turning.

AP

"The head of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command is warning that the successful rescue of an American captain held by Somali pirates could escalate violence in that part of the world.

In rescuing the captain of the American ship Maersk Alabama, Navy SEALs killed three of the four pirates who had been holding Capt. Richard Phillips in a lifeboat. All were shot by snipers aboard the USS Bainbridge.

Navy Vice Admiral Bill Gortney said at a news conference Sunday that the rescue ending in the pirates' deaths will likely have a ripple effect. While piracy is common off the coast of Somalia, crews have seldom been harmed.

In Gortney's words, "This could escalate violence in this part of the world, no question about it."

Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
OK - then where ARE you going to get your 'gospel truth'?
I'm not likely to take anything as the gospel truth barring an unedited video showing the entire incident. (Which they likely have)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies