Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Oh my gosh how did you live?????? I have adopted 5 animals from our local shelter, all of which turned out to be GREAT animals. Sorry if I'm not so stuck up I care if my dog is pure anything so long as, I helped it LIVE and it's a nice animal.
You've already had this explained to you once, and that's assuming that you don't follow the news.

One of the daughters needs a non-allergenic breed. Therefore, they couldn't take the chance that the mixed breed you pointed to. It has nothing to do with being "stuck up."

Please try to follow the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 PM

607 posts, read 922,814 times
I generally like Obama but he needs to get his freakin' act together. Prancing around Europe and worrying about your daughter's dog are not what our President should be dealing with. If I were President I would be sleeping as little as possible trying to get this country BACK ON TRACK!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You've already had this explained to you once, and that's assuming that you don't follow the news.

One of the daughters needs a non-allergenic breed. Therefore, they couldn't take the chance that the mixed breed you pointed to. It has nothing to do with being "stuck up."

Well first your saying for the 100,000 dogs in Washington DC area for adoption none of them meet the need for her allergies, sorry BS. Thats just in Washington if you include the surrounding areas of Baltimore and Virgina the numbers grow.

Unlike you I don't let politics get in the way of whats right. I don't care it was a Democrat or Republican. If you say you prefer to get a pet from a shelter you should do it. Also, your telling me it's hard for the President of the United States to find a dog in a shelter that meets his needs? If you believe that i feel sorry for you.

How many animals are going to be put to sleep tomorrow? Around 68,943. Disgusting

Old 04-12-2009, 10:31 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

My daughter's allergic to dogs and contrary to popular belief the allergen is in the saliva, not the fur/dander. Unless they make a non-drooling dog, I dunno?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
1) one of the girls is allergic. you can't risk adopting a dog w/ unknown parentage when dealing w/ a child w/ allergies. the dog in the link appears to be a mix, perhaps w/ a poodle, but who really knows? shelters have been known to misidentify breeds. in this case, they know for several generations back that this dog is a pure PWD so there'll be less surprises thrown in there for them to handle

2) one of the main thing dog advocates recommend people w/ allergies do is spend time w/ their breed of choice to see how they respond to any allergens. the girls may have spend some time w/ Kennedy's PWDs so have a reasonable estimate of how the dog would work for them

3) the breeder has apparently been working w/ the family for weeks. they met w/ the dog weeks ago according to the article. rescues and shelters just can't provide the same one-on-one attention that most reputable breeders give to customers, they simply don't have the time. yes, I'm sure a rescue would have taken the time to personally guide the Obamas through the process, but to do so may have resulted in less work being done elsewhere. there also isn't much follow up post adoption through most rescues and especially shelters. the Obamas are first time dog owners and will likely want to have a breeder close by in case they have questions. reputable breeders can remain in close contact w/ their customers and their dogs for the entire lifespan of the dog, something no rescue or shelter can do

4) the dog in the link came from a high kill shelter. dogs like these tend have little background info to accompany them (a lot of kill shelters don't go through a long intake procedure and sometimes dogs are just literally dumped there). there's no history in regards to socialization, lineage, or past health/temperament issues. the dog is being fostered and is apparently okay w/ kids and dog, but is unknown w/ cats. even still, w/ a dog that age, you just don't know all the triggers it may have. the dog may appear to be okay w/ certain kids of certain ages, or certain dogs of certain sizes and breeds. the foster parent may later discover that the dog reacts badly to a certain trigger. unless a dog has been fostered for long term, a foster parent just can't fully know the temperament of a foster dog. this is not the type of situation you want to place first time dog owners, especially a high profile family like this in. of course, no one can be sure of Bo's life before hand, but as a puppy, he's unlikely to have been through as much as a 3 year old dog, especially since he came from a reputable breeder (PWDs are still pretty uncommon in the US, so I have to wonder, if the dog in the link is a purebred PWD, why didn't its breeder reclaim it? reputable breeder try their best to do so)

5) not everyone can or should adopt a rescue dog. every family is different and one needs to weigh the options carefully, especially when children are concerned, there is an allergic child, and the family is in constant media scrutiny such as they are

Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
I generally like Obama but he needs to get his freakin' act together. Prancing around Europe and worrying about your daughter's dog are not what our President should be dealing with. If I were President I would be sleeping as little as possible trying to get this country BACK ON TRACK!
Really? Let's look back on footage shall we? Let's see, do we see Obama "prancing around Europe"? Do we? And, oh wait! Do we see it? Do we see footage of him worrying about the next first dog? Do we? Well hey! If he were actually "prancing around worrying about the next dog" well then crap, I think that's all we need to say here, right?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It looks like they had trouble finding the exact breed at the humane society (they can't take risk since one of the daughters is allergic to a variety of breeds). "Bo" was a gift to them by Ted Kennedy but the Obama's have promised to make up for it by making a personal donation to the humane society. I would have done the same.
Nonsense. There are many portuguese water dogs in rescue. The Obamas simply couldn't be bothered. The dog came from Uncle Teddy's preferred breeder. The dog had a home, but was sent back to the breeder (for undisclosed reasons). He now has a home in the White House. All dogs need a home, so that's good. But still . . .

And lookie here, a portuguese water dog in Washington, D.C., in need of a home:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13477448

Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
It's called Multi-Tasking and he thrives on it....

Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Oh my gosh how did you live?????? I have adopted 5 animals from our local shelter, all of which turned out to be GREAT animals. Sorry if I'm not so stuck up I care if my dog is pure anything so long as, I helped it LIVE and it's a nice animal.

I once read some where that stated, for every pure bread dog bought one shelter dog dies. Atleast I can say I don't have that on my conscience as I have had 3 shelter dogs.
I had a feeling you will manage to derail the thread. This isn't about finding great animals at shelter. Mine is a wonderful example of that, and I won't have it any other way. But clearly, your understanding of the subject at hand is very limited, and will take anything that fits your whim.

You've been educated. Take it, or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Nonsense. There are many portuguese water dogs in rescue. The Obamas simply couldn't be bothered. The dog came from Uncle Teddy's preferred breeder. The dog had a home, but was sent back to the breeder (for undisclosed reasons). He now has a home in the White House. All dogs need a home, so that's good. But still . . .

And lookie here, a portuguese water dog in Washington, D.C., in need of a home:

Adopt a Portuguese Water Dog: Pepper: Petfinder
You've got the same issue that the guy/gal I just responded to did. Allow me to cut/paste the headline from your link which you obviously didn't see/comprehend: Portugese Water Dog [Mix]

The bottom line is, they didn't want to take chance with a potential mix breed, and are doing their part by making a donation to humane society.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes, I meant a pure bred PWD not being available. The link you provided clearly mentions a mixed breed.

I'm pretty sure you don't have any experience with it, but there's usually a degree of uncertainty involved with pets at humane society. Twelve years ago, I adopted a puppy from SPCA, and was told it was a dachsund mix. It ended up being a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

omg, and you couldn't tell the difference????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies