Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times

Advertisements

MSNBC has just reported that a US Congressman visiting Somalia had mortars fired at him. No link to website yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
MSNBC has just reported that a US Congressman visiting Somalia had mortars fired at him. No link to website yet.
Yeah and some nut on another thread said we should invade and occupy Somalia and enforce the law ourselves. I don't think we should turn our heads but that is not a viable option.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 AM

358 posts, read 472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Those ships ARE allowed to arm themselves. But why pay for it themselves? Now that dems are in charge, eventually, we the taxpayers will pay for it.

Notice how there WEREN'T these problems say... 6 months ago?
You need to re read my post involving treaties. I am sure you have heard of google, save yourself some embarrassment by educating yourself b4 you post. The reason these problems were not here, oh say "six months ago" was because of the heavy seas, pirates cannot operate in heavy seas off small boats. The pirates have a real shortage of helocopters for boarding, which work well in heavy seas, but still dangerous. Last year during the quite season the pirates were taking ships.

BTW, I served in sailor (Boatswaine Mate 3rd Class) aboard a destroyer. I served in ALL seas and I also have done bare boat charters where I captained in Fl and Canada. Small boats and 6 foot seas do not lend well to pirates boarding. I know because I have been the coxin of a 28 ft motorwhale boat launched at night to look for a pilot that crashed while attempting to land on the USS Ranger. The seas were in the 10 foot range. I was well trained and still I have never been so scared in my life.

So take your Democratic hate to a string about their perceived failures rather than one about their obvious heroic success, perhaps it will improve your reputation...but I doubt it.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Yeah and some nut on another thread said we should invade and occupy Somalia and enforce the law ourselves. I don't think we should turn our heads but that is not a viable option.
well, land attacks are already being considered.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
I see many here don't remember Slick Willy's Somalia excursion.

Obama will not touch that area, I guarantee it.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
Due to treaties we arming merchant ships is not an option as many, many countries will not allow them into their ports. I agree that arming would solve the problem but it would take years to make it legal.

The answer is to use various countries military with pilot boats, or helocopters on each end of indian country. A few companies of military palaced on ships at sea 4 men at a time, heavily armed with apporipate equipment, (surface to surface shoulder fired missles, 50 cal scoped rifles and so forth would bring this situtation to an end quickly. During the season of heavy seas this is not necessary and when is necessary the shippers can bear the cost. Problem solved, and solved one hell of a lot cheaper than the deployment of a carrier task force permanently in that part of the world and one hell of a lot more effective.

Sometimes low tech is better, and almost always cheaper.
Since the ships can't be armed when entering many ports the above looks to be the correct response. A platoon per ship only while in that area would end this situation.
I don't want the U.S. to get into another boots on the ground in Somalia, it's something we won't win and is pointless. The other idea is just base a couple of blackhawks to patrol that stretch and straif any little boat that's heading towards a ships safety zone.
Sounds like the perfect job for Blackwater...

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
well, land attacks are already being considered.
A shore raid and a land occupation are vastly different.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
During the press conference I was dismayed tht the questions of most of the press including CNN, Fox, Reuters, AP etc...seemed to be an attempt to play "gottcha" around the issue of "imminent danger"; it seemed to me that they were trying to prove that the criteria for the use of deadly force hadnt been met.

I also got the impression that the questions were designed to create a story....rather than report on the bravery and courage and skill of the participants and the role of the current administration in meeting and winning this first international test. I had the impression that they would have prefered the headlines of a botched rescue attempt....ala Jimmy Carter's attempt to rescue the Iranian hostages....even if it meant the death of the captain and weakening of US might and prestige.
isn't that what the media is all about? they would much rather report bad news than good news.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
There's probably a few thousand Marines who'd like a chance at revenge against them for the Black Hawk.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I see many here don't remember Slick Willy's Somalia excursion.

Obama will not touch that area, I guarantee it.
My thoughts exactly. I'd bet that he stays away from ground or air forces being used in Somalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies