Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I am a conservative, but have to admit that Russ Cassell is very hard to listen to. The show is no longer entertaining. I have noticed it's the same old people calling in every day talking about the same old thing. I used to like the show but I have grown tired of listening to his way of running the show. It's strange. I agree with many of his views. But, I just cannot listen to the way he tries to communicate those views. I also have grown tired of the way he handles those that disagree with him. He normally ends those conversations with the words, "thanks anyway." It's funny that his slogan is know what you believe and why you believe it. Does he not think people that disagree with him know what they believe and why they believe it? Like I said, I am conservative on most things, except for instance the death penalty. Having said that, I like to hear both sides and welcome opposing views. Russ Cassell is a nothing but a big bag of wind.
I have never listened to Russ Cassell, but it sounds like he has adopted the Sean Hannity approach to those who disagree with his opinion. Rather than acknowledging the opposing position or engaging in mature dialogue, he interrupts, criticizes, or hangs up on the caller before he/she has had a chance to retort. I have no patience for that stuff, especially when it comes from a simpleton like Hannity.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 PM

134 posts, read 262,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
WTH? Why is it, no one can offer an honest opinion these days without someone getting offended and being called a racist??? Last time I checked, this is still America and people have freedom of speech. If you don't like what he has to say, turn the station! Good grief, why are people so thinned skinned these days?
Someone else told me that when I spoke to them about how I took offense to Russ. It's tough to accept that, but it is a good point.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I am a conservative, but have to admit that Russ Cassell is very hard to listen to. The show is no longer entertaining. I have noticed it's the same old people calling in every day talking about the same old thing. I used to like the show but I have grown tired of listening to his way of running the show. It's strange. I agree with many of his views. But, I just cannot listen to the way he tries to communicate those views. I also have grown tired of the way he handles those that disagree with him. He normally ends those conversations with the words, "thanks anyway." It's funny that his slogan is know what you believe and why you believe it. Does he not think people that disagree with him know what they believe and why they believe it? Like I said, I am conservative on most things, except for instance the death penalty. Having said that, I like to hear both sides and welcome opposing views. Russ Cassell is a nothing but a big bag of wind.
He is very jaded as of late. The whole communism theme is funny, but it's just been repeated to often.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's amazing how he can be angry about absolutely everything he talks about for three solid hours every day.
LOL... so true.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM

503 posts, read 937,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
He said on his show that he doesn't like the person that won the masters Angel Cabrera because he has an interpreter.

He was starting his show with the phrase "I'm white and doing what's right". I know that an african american started that phrase, but it just sounds wrong and should not be repeated.

I was just wondering what other locals thought of Russ. Maybe I'm being defensive, I'm open to other points of view on this.

why does everyone get offended by everything these days. Russ' job is to say whats on his mind, if you dont like it change the channel.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-15-2009 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,033 times
Quote:
WTH? Why is it, no one can offer an honest opinion these days without someone getting offended and being called a racist??? Last time I checked, this is still America and people have freedom of speech. If you don't like what he has to say, turn the station! Good grief, why are people so thinned skinned these days?
Nobody said he couldn't offer his opinion. Nobody is advocating censorship here.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Grow up, why does everyone get offended by everything these days. Russ' job is to say whats on his mind, if you dont like it change the channel.
I'm not offended yet, the reason I started this thread is to see what other locals thought just incase I was overreacting. Sounds like you think I'm overreacting and being overly sensitive. Fair enough. I have one question. Why is Russ allowed to give his opinion, but when I give my opinion about Russ' opinion I'm told to grow up? I think I should be able to listen to Russ and give an opinion about Russ even if I don't like what I'm listening too. I don't think the only option is "don't like it change the channel"

Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM

292 posts, read 344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Nobody said he couldn't offer his opinion. Nobody is advocating censorship here.
You can criticize all you want, but you know darn well that when someone starts accusing someone else of being racist, that calls for the so-called "racists" firing is not far behind. Don't believe me? just ask Don Imus! Why can't you criticize his argument without accusing him of being a racist?

Why is it, that anyone that disagrees with a liberal these days is automatically a racist, bigot, or homophobe? Its like liberals can't debate facts, so they have to resort to these baseless accusations and name-calling.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
You can criticize all you want, but you know darn well that when someone starts accusing someone else of being racist, that calls for the so-called "racists" firing is not far behind. Don't believe me? just ask Don Imus! Why can't you criticize his argument without accusing him of being a racist?

Why is it, that anyone that disagrees with a liberal these days is automatically a racist, bigot, or homophobe? Its like liberals can't debate facts, so they have to resort to these baseless accusations and name-calling.
It's hard not to use the word racist when Russ starts his show with "I'm white and doing what's right". I know an African American started that phrase but Russ sure took that opportunity to say it on the air, over and over and over and over without referencing the individual that started it most of the time. Russ' comment about Cabrera was just the final blow so I decided to use the word "racist". My opinion is not some baseless rant. I have listened to Russ every morning for the past 2 years. It could be that Russ is not a racist and he just a very angry shock jock. I started this thread to get peoples opinion on Russ possibly being a racist. I'm not asking that Russ get fired and I'm not asking the Russ get censored.

I just want a discussion on Russ "possibly" being a racist. This isn't a liberal vs conservative thread, or a censorship thread. Please dont' hijack it.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM

292 posts, read 344,425 times
I've listened to Russ off and on for the 10 years that I've lived in SC, and I have never heard anything out of his mouth that is racist. He is simply a man that speaks his mind on various issues. Frankly I'm happy there are still people out there that are not chained by political correctness. If you don't like his show, change the channel!

If you didn't like his "I'm white and doing what's right comment, then were you equally as outraged when Lowery recited his poem at Obama's inauguration?

Were you equally as outraged at the hateful comments of Rev. Wright?????

Were you equally as outraged when David Ehrenstein coined the term "Barack the magic negro"????

Were you equally as outraged when Jesse Jackson referred to the Jewish Community as "heimy town"???

How about when Joe Biden made a wise crack about Indian people working at 7/11???

Are you upset at all the racist and bigotted language in rap music????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies