Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times

Advertisements

Stop enforcing DUIs/DWIs on Friday and Saturday from a small window such as 10pm-2am. The general public is well aware it's like a cat 5 hurricane outside and will stay indoors and they're the safest. Some effects would be Nightspots will see a huge business increase...Cops/Firemen/Paramedics/Coroner/Funeral directors will see equal increases...Drivers will die, their jobs will go vacant. Eventually everyone will of watched someone suffered a slow painful death directed caused a drunk driver...Enough will be enough and most habitual drunk drivers will "see the light".

Insights?

This is a half joke, but if in the off chance it happens I want the credit for it! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
I think it's a brilliant idea, but then I'm pretty much a homebody on Friday and Saturday nights anyway.

Keep at it, and somebody will come along and hijack this thread and whine about how heinous a crime it would be to deprive them of their freedom to drive at any given moment of any day.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Stop enforcing DUIs/DWIs on Friday and Saturday from a small window such as 10pm-2am. The general public is well aware it's like a cat 5 hurricane outside and will stay indoors and they're the safest. Some effects would be Nightspots will see a huge business increase...Cops/Firemen/Paramedics/Coroner/Funeral directors will see equal increases...Drivers will die, their jobs will go vacant. Eventually everyone will of watched someone suffered a slow painful death directed caused a drunk driver...Enough will be enough and most habitual drunk drivers will "see the light".

Insights?

This is a half joke, but if in the off chance it happens I want the credit for it! lol
I'm cool with it as long as you're cool with paramedics leaving the badly injured in the ditch if they fail the breathalyzer.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
You are so funny! Are you saying they will kill each other off and then the rest of us can get back to living normal lives? I just have one question: What happens if you have to take your child to the emergency room. Should you have to dodge all those drunks to get there. It would be like trying to drive in ice and snow in the South.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
why don't they make the punishment fit the crime none of the laws that these idiots have in place for people to follow make sense they want to lock you away in jail for a non violent crime some people do need jail time but folks who don't drink or do drugs are in jail for driving drunk and people who might of had 1 beer and left the bar are pulled over and foolishly took the breathalyzer and blew a point over the legal limit due to there bmi were probably stopped for something the cops watch the bar bottom line innocent people are getting mandatory minimum sentences for what punish the repeated offenders and stop ruining lives in court all lawyers and pds do is end up working out some deal for innocent people to plea guilty to and still end up with a conviction or in jail for a period of time you have to be simple to say Give them every punishment possible when people are not the same

Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 9,115 times
It's even worse. I know you're shocked - shocked - to be told that DUI checkpoints are all about the money. They usually (at least here in California) end up with the arrest of zero to two persons drunk driving, but can bring in millions of dollars directly into the bank accounts of police officers.

Moderator cut.

After having almost two years with 14 DUI Checkpoints and zero arrests, a local law enforcement agency near where I am noted the 0.0% effectiveness stating that it was not about getting drunk drivers off the road, but was instead suddenly about "awareness".

When they switch from DUI checkpoints to driving around, the number of arrests (i.e., people off the road), increases dramatically. Sometimes as much as 1000% in a year. But there's no money in that.

However, the grant money from the Federal government, and the State Money, is used solely for officer overtime. So in one case we had a DUI checkpoint where 150 police officers volunteered to work the late evening early morning DUI checkpoint in a small town. MADD also chips in.

Another source of big money came from the impound fees. You can't impound a drunk driver's care more than it takes to get them released, but for suspended license cases, it can be up to 90 days, and the thousands in impound fees, or the sale of the car, is split 50/50 between the police and the impound yard.

It's a total racquet.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-29-2017 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: New members may not post links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies