Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I have been pondering this all day because it is one of those stories you have a hard time getting out of your head. And you know, as slim as the chances are, she may be telling the truth. She claims the suitcase was stolen out of her yard on the same day the girl disappeared. That is possible, and unless there is other evidence tying the victim to the accused I can't see them actually getting a conviction if the system is indeed in working order. Now, this is no way a defense of this woman's possible crime. Just a defense of the woman's right to be considered innocent until proven guilty.

Also, there is always the chance she knew the actual perpetrator and assisted in the removal of the body. While this is still a serious crime, it wouldn't be the first time a woman assisted in the removal of evidence to help a male partner in need. I think her father should certainly be questioned. Why, because if there is a history in this woman's family of abuse it may lead us to the real perpetrator. And abusive fathers are notorious for having an extremely controlling influence on their daughters. But then again, it very well may be her. I just don't know. Either way, someone must be punished for this crime.
What I learned when I served on the jury for a murder trial is that the details released to the papers don't even begin to cover the real story.

But yes, someone must be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
does kalifornia have a death penalty?
California does have the death penalty.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,864 times
Default utterly beyond the pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Whoever does this to a child should suffer a slow and painful death. The electric chair or death by injection is too merciful a death for the monster who did this.
As much as I agree, it might be better to keep her in an asylum and study her to identify certain behaviors and hopefully prevent this sort of thing in the future.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:

hopefully they will not be sexist and only apply it to men, if this woman is found guilty, then she should be paying with her own life.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I have been pondering this all day because it is one of those stories you have a hard time getting out of your head. And you know, as slim as the chances are, she may be telling the truth. She claims the suitcase was stolen out of her yard on the same day the girl disappeared. That is possible, and unless there is other evidence tying the victim to the accused I can't see them actually getting a conviction if the system is indeed in working order. Now, this is no way a defense of this woman's possible crime. Just a defense of the woman's right to be considered innocent until proven guilty.

Also, there is always the chance she knew the actual perpetrator and assisted in the removal of the body. While this is still a serious crime, it wouldn't be the first time a woman assisted in the removal of evidence to help a male partner in need. I think her father should certainly be questioned. Why, because if there is a history in this woman's family of abuse it may lead us to the real perpetrator. And abusive fathers are notorious for having an extremely controlling influence on their daughters. But then again, it very well may be her. I just don't know. Either way, someone must be punished for this crime.
I think she is protecting her father too.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
Quote:
It does, and it sentences folks to death regularly. But they rarely actually put anyone to death. A huge backlog - at least 700 if I recall correctly.

Edit: checked around. Currently 680 on CA death row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I think she is protecting her father too.
Her father lives 400 miles away. It is her grandfather she lives with.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
hopefully they will not be sexist and only apply it to men, if this woman is found guilty, then she should be paying with her own life.
Sorry I don't see any evidence to back up that claim. I've seen evidence to the contrary, however, that women are more likely than males to get a verdict of death penalty when convicted of violent crimes in texas (where 40% of executions in america have happened).
http://www.aclu.org/capital/general/...s20041129.html

If she's guilty, I think she's most certainly appropriate candidate for death penalty. I have no clue why charles manson is still allowed to breathe. I disagree with ACLU stance on death penalty, and think their energy is better served scrutinizing nasty political games in prosecution side that equal wrongful convictions.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
What do you wanna bet she pleads insanity, and that "God told her to do it"!

Of course we've also had Presidents that said the same thing....

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,224 times
If she pleds insanity we find her guilty, give her the death penalty if anyone ask we will just say...................God told us to do it.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
If she pleds insanity we find her guilty, give her the death penalty if anyone ask we will just say...................God told us to do it.
Turnabout... I'm not a juror she'd want. I don't think I could give this a fair hearing in all honesty. Anyone coming at me with god excuse I think I'd say the same as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies