Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Check this out:
CNN covering a tea party thing,

reporter interviews one guy holding a sign with a picture of President Obama which shows the President doing a heil hitler salute and wearing a hitler mustache,

reporter asks man why he thinks Obama is a fascist,

the man replies, "because he is",

reporter asks man again, why do you think that?

man's reply is "because he is".

Hmmmmm, sounds like a brainwashed sheep to me.
These are exactly the types of people who attend the rallies. Evidently, the man HAS been listening to the wrong influences.

We need to be careful of, and watch out for these brainless people, they can be dangerous.
According to Paxton, fascism is

a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion. .......Paxton, Robert. The Anatomy of Fascism. Vintage Books.

Historically and currently Obama has engaged in, participated with, and associated with people who engaged in or participated in all of these activities. While I don't agree that Obama is a true fascist, he does seem to meet most if not all of these components of a fascist at a superficial level, though it is likely these were only political expediencies.

They guy may not have been smart enough to explain his beliefs, but he was perceptive enough to sense a pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
You think the only reason someone dislikes Obama is because of his skin color? Have you been smoking spoiled weed, or do you see every action in the universe as being due to race? Seriously, Conservatives who dislike barack Obama do so because he is Black???? I think you are getting a bit too much of Dukester's second hand smoke.

There are so many non-racial concerns about Obama's politics and motivations that this isn't even a rational topic. Sure, some people are so hateful that they cannot tear their focus away from their object of obsession. Just look at Dukester's obsession with hating anyone who tolerates Conservatives or their policies. He is obviously so full of hatred that if Hannity went on air praising the Dukester for his rhetoric on this board Dukester would shoot himself out of contempt.

There are racist, closed minded people in every political click and many of those people hate blacks and oppose anything a black person will say, just as there are those that hate whites and will oppose anything a white person will say. There are those that would have followed a black person into the incinerators of Auschwitz willingly if a white Nazi had told them it wasn't a good place to be.

People can blindly follow their obsessions to their ruin, and we see that on all sides. It is folly, however, to believe that the majority of any group has a common motivation and perspective. In most cases there is vast disagreement within even the most homogenous group. Only among the blinded fanatics is there universal agreement on a single topic. If there was such widespread fanaticism amongst conservatives or liberals we would have had civil war in this country years ago.

I believe that most conservatives, including many of those ultra fanatical bigots that are sure to be there, hate Obama's political stances more than his skin color. I believe that the vast majority of conservatives today do not harbor ill will toward Obama because of his skin color at all. Had Obama risen to prominence with Reagan like propaganda, policy, and voting history and not had the baggage of Wright, Pfleger, Jones, Rezko, Ayers, et al..He would have been the Conservatives candidate and the left would be hating Obama just as bitterly as they did Condolezza Rice and Clarence Thomas.

If it were even a little true that Conservative harbor such ill will simply due to skin color, many of these reviled black conservatives would have never appeared at the forefront of politics. Colin Powell would have remained an enlisted soldier rather than becoming an exhaulted military leader.
Despite the many open doors I've left for this entire thread, not one conservative stood up and stated what their legitimate criticisms of Obama adminstration have been. You are no exception. You've fixated on the trap of blame game instead of presenting the issues straightfowardly. See this in yourself please, because it's obvious to me you've got plenty to say. You're fixated in all the wrong areas of superficial irrelevant nonsense.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,642 times
Default I'm against Racist!

Quote:
You think the only reason someone dislikes Obama is because of his skin color? Have you been smoking spoiled weed, or do you see every action in the universe as being due to race? Seriously, Conservatives who dislike barack Obama do so because he is Black???? I think you are getting a bit too much of Dukester's second hand smoke.

There are so many non-racial concerns about Obama's politics and motivations that this isn't even a rational topic. Sure, some people are so hateful that they cannot tear their focus away from their object of obsession. Just look at Dukester's obsession with hating anyone who tolerates Conservatives or their policies. He is obviously so full of hatred that if Hannity went on air praising the Dukester for his rhetoric on this board Dukester would shoot himself out of contempt.

There are racist, closed minded people in every political click and many of those people hate blacks and oppose anything a black person will say, just as there are those that hate whites and will oppose anything a white person will say. There are those that would have followed a black person into the incinerators of Auschwitz willingly if a white Nazi had told them it wasn't a good place to be.

People can blindly follow their obsessions to their ruin, and we see that on all sides. It is folly, however, to believe that the majority of any group has a common motivation and perspective. In most cases there is vast disagreement within even the most homogenous group. Only among the blinded fanatics is there universal agreement on a single topic. If there was such widespread fanaticism amongst conservatives or liberals we would have had civil war in this country years ago.

I believe that most conservatives, including many of those ultra fanatical bigots that are sure to be there, hate Obama's political stances more than his skin color. I believe that the vast majority of conservatives today do not harbor ill will toward Obama because of his skin color at all. Had Obama risen to prominence with Reagan like propaganda, policy, and voting history and not had the baggage of Wright, Pfleger, Jones, Rezko, Ayers, et al..He would have been the Conservatives candidate and the left would be hating Obama just as bitterly as they did Condolezza Rice and Clarence Thomas.

If it were even a little true that Conservative harbor such ill will simply due to skin color, many of these reviled black conservatives would have never appeared at the forefront of politics. Colin Powell would have remained an enlisted soldier rather than becoming an exhaulted military leader.

The Conservatives I see on a daily basis blame everything and anything on Democrats. I used to be a Republican. I've been to many meetings in my Area to discuss possible ways to make our country strong again. They (Conservative) don't believe Bush (W) did anything wrong as the President. And if they did, they never complained about his spending during his term.

Back to the Racist- On this Blog I ask anyone to share with me any positive thing a Conservative said about Obama. Even the current leader of the Republican party (Steele) cannot even speak his opinions. How could a canidate get elected as Leader of a party and cannot speak at Conservatives rallies?

They would rather have Rush Limbaugh, that drug addict racist lead the party. With some of the hateful things he said in the past and even to this day. How disrespectful for a radio host to want to debate a President.

Where is Colin Powell and Condi Rice now? I don't see them at Tea Parties!

Republicans were a God Fearing Party at one time.

I guess they don't read the Bible. James 2:1-9 and Leviticus 25:35-36

They do not care about the poor at all. Just the rich!!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times
Quote:
According to Paxton, fascism is

a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion. .......Paxton, Robert. The Anatomy of Fascism. Vintage Books.

Historically and currently Obama has engaged in, participated with, and associated with people who engaged in or participated in all of these activities. While I don't agree that Obama is a true fascist, he does seem to meet most if not all of these components of a fascist at a superficial level, though it is likely these were only political expediencies.

They guy may not have been smart enough to explain his beliefs, but he was perceptive enough to sense a pattern.
I disagree with your analogy.

People can perceive whatever they want to, it's their perogative. But, if a person cannot articulate why they believe something, they're merely just a bunch of sheep or followers of the cult they're addicted to.

If someone asked me why I thought bush was the worst president ever, they'd better sit down, because it would take a few minutes to let them know why I felt that way. Believe me, I wouldn't be saying, because he is or was, that's not good enough of a reason or explanation.

All of this is really off topic.

I will say this about the topic, the article may be skewed, and may have been authored if for nothing else, meant to inflame some people. I think the "good 'ol boy days' of the republican or conservative party are almost a thing of the past, if it's not, it's pretty covert. Not many conservatives will come out and speak of President Obama in a racist fashion, people would then perk up and take notice, plus, it would be the nail that would seal their coffin for many, many years to come. The conservative party is already hurting, one more detrimental publication might seal their fates.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I disagree with your analogy.

People can perceive whatever they want to, it's their perogative. But, if a person cannot articulate why they believe something, they're merely just a bunch of sheep or followers of the cult they're addicted to.
Perhaps you can explain fully why you fell in love for the first time. I am sure it has happened and you believed it to be your one and only at the time, but can you explain it or were you simply being led by the nose as a sheep?

Not everything a person perceives is explainable, nor does everybody have the same ability to logical break down their beliefs into explainable components. That does not lessen the perception, belief, accuracy or inaccuracy of that belief. The first person to develop a faith based religion could not have been following a cult as they originated the idea. Not all of these originators were motivated by money, power, or influence. I am sure at least one or two were motivated by conviction and purity of their belief.

I cannot agree with your assumptions upon which you base your disagreement of my analogy.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Despite the many open doors I've left for this entire thread, not one conservative stood up and stated what their legitimate criticisms of Obama adminstration have been. You are no exception. You've fixated on the trap of blame game instead of presenting the issues straightfowardly. See this in yourself please, because it's obvious to me you've got plenty to say. You're fixated in all the wrong areas of superficial irrelevant nonsense.
The topic in this thread is racism by the conservatives, not what is wrong with Barack Obama. I responded to the topic identifying areas of concern about Obama that conservatives feel are troubling to illustrate that there are issues outside of racism for people to focus on. These examples were broad and vague because they are not the direct topic of discussion.

The specifically address one of these issues, most simplistic and directy observable, is that of trust. Obama's voting record on key issues such as gun control, abortion, taxation, and his impressive collection of "no-vote" recordings demonstrate clearly that he does not share the philosophical common ground with conservatives in many areas. We do not need to analyse any specific vote to see a consistent pattern that is dissimilar to conservative voting patterns. These differences create a sense of distrust in the average person that their interests are not going to be pursued if the interests of a group with more similar voting interest are involved.

The people associated with Obama that he has publically cited as being his advisors, mentors, and people that he has admired that have been publicly outed for criminal consipiracy, terrorist acts against government offices, financial misdealings, etc place doubt on his ability to correctly judge people and circumstances. A few scandals here and there are probably unavoidable when dealing with people, but there have been many and their scandals have been consistantly similar in many cases. They have had uppaid taxes and unreported income claimed to be honest mistakes that they did not realize had to be reported, but these same people are being put in positions of authority in our treasury dept and supervision our tax collections. Again, one or two odd discrepencies can be bad luck, but when appointment after appointment have the same problems? C'mon now, you and I would never be believed if we told that to the IRS, yet they are and get the job administering it.

Here is my disclaimer on my opinion. I do not have the time to scrutinize the record for facts and figures. I do most of my "research" on the internet, watching CNN, MSNBC, FOX and local news channels. I listen to talk radio when driving and Clark Howard or Dr. Laura or some other interesting program is not onair. I do not listen to Rush, am amused by the idiocy of Savage, hear too much repetitive propagandizing by Hannity and am generally irritated by Levine's attitude and demeanor. I view my political stance as generally conservative with some middle ground leanings. I view social programs as useful, but not ideally desirable for long term use. I do not view myself as a Libertarian, but that is probably the closest lable I can agree with. I have listened to Neal Boortz and found him the most agreeable talking head on air, but even he had things I could not sign up for. I do not recall any names other than Al Franken that I have listened to on the liberal airwaves, but generally they all made me laugh too much at their rhetoric and even more abusive twisting of soundbites than Hannity and Rush ever did. I could not take them seriously at all. At least Rush and Hannity tried to make their stupid lambasting seem to have comedic intent, Franken portrayed his stupidity as serious journalism. I am a big boy and can listen to opinions without completely changing my opinion everytime I hear an differing point of view. I can assess "facts" keeping the source in mind and evaluating those "facts" against my own collection of accepted facts and logic and common sense.

Not every fact has one side and not every side has equal legitimacy. Sometimes my perspective seems more credible than yours, sometimes yours may prevail. The background on the Somali pirates is a case in point. I first could not understand how an sane person could accept piracy as a way of life, then I got a bit of background on the government issues and the infringement of the Somali resources by other nations and the lack of abilty by the Somalis to prevent it. Then piracy started to make sense in a limited scope. The present situation is just the result of the corruption of a basic self-preservation instict, but still must be dealt with.

I would love to be able to sit down with you and cite vote by vote and bill by bill my disagreements with Obama and why he is wrong about many of his attitudes toward responsible government, but I just don't have the time to dwell on him to that extent. You will just have to accept that I do not trust his views, his judgement, nor his motivations based on the general reporting my the mainstream media and not due simply to what Rush or Hannity have said.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:59 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times
Quote:
Perhaps you can explain fully why you fell in love for the first time. I am sure it has happened and you believed it to be your one and only at the time, but can you explain it or were you simply being led by the nose as a sheep?

Not everything a person perceives is explainable, nor does everybody have the same ability to logical break down their beliefs into explainable components. That does not lessen the perception, belief, accuracy or inaccuracy of that belief. The first person to develop a faith based religion could not have been following a cult as they originated the idea. Not all of these originators were motivated by money, power, or influence. I am sure at least one or two were motivated by conviction and purity of their belief.

I cannot agree with your assumptions upon which you base your disagreement of my analogy.
I think that a person who has certain beliefs are able to explain why they have them, this is where I disagree with your anaolgy. Most people ARE able to tell another person why they feel the way they do, and not just say because it is, or he is.
I never assume anything. I know when a person cannot explain other than saying because he is, that to me means the person is ignorant and following like a sheep or following what he thinks is correct, without having done any investigating on his own, and is just throwing in with a crowd. You see many of these followers here on city data, they watch faux news, and think it's the gospel and truth, when in fact, it was meant to inflame and (incite, but not necessarily the thought process.) they just follow.

Someone asks, why is the sky blue, and another person answers, because it is. Ask why, find out why. THINK.

What is right, what is wrong? I think people of legal age and of sound mind know the difference, therefore, they think.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Well articulated Johnrex, and I knew myself young enough that there's not a soul on this planet I can agree with 100%, but when speaking about reasons for my view respectfully, have made friends on all sides of the aisle. I'm afraid that rhetorhic you're pointing out has become pervasive and obscures truth to dangerous levels to the detriment of all. The media needs to be held to the higher standards of journalism so that the truth can prevail, and honest debates, not artificial ones, can regain center stage. True conservativism has not been represented for decades, and perhaps people can look around themselves and realize their absence at the table is detrimental to our culture & finances directly.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well articulated Johnrex, and I knew myself young enough that there's not a soul on this planet I can agree with 100%, but when speaking about reasons for my view respectfully, have made friends on all sides of the aisle. I'm afraid that rhetorhic you're pointing out has become pervasive and obscures truth to dangerous levels to the detriment of all. The media needs to be held to the higher standards of journalism so that the truth can prevail, and honest debates, not artificial ones, can regain center stage. True conservativism has not been represented for decades, and perhaps people can look around themselves and realize their absence at the table is detrimental to our culture & finances directly.
This is true and outside of yours and my control. We must live in the world in which we reside and make the best of the situation we find ourselves in. It would make for a much more productive debate if the facts could be known and laid out in logical order and the debate could be based on the interpreation of common, indisputable facts. That, sadly is not the case, and oft times we must simply allude to the "facts" we base our opinion because the opinion is what is under scrutiny. Neither side can validate the facts to the satisfaction of the other side and the interpretation is almost as abstract as the verifiable facts anyway.

Our media has become a means unto itself rather than a means to the truth. Ratings and salaries have superceeded honesty and integrity as inspired goals in this industry. We suffer for that. This headline about racism being the underlying cause of extremist unrest and the resulting claims that any conservative who hates Obama is solely due to racism is due to our loss of a new reporting industry in favor of a entertainment news marketing industry.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I think that a person who has certain beliefs are able to explain why they have them, this is where I disagree with your anaolgy. Most people ARE able to tell another person why they feel the way they do, and not just say because it is, or he is.
I never assume anything. I know when a person cannot explain other than saying because he is, that to me means the person is ignorant and following like a sheep or following what he thinks is correct, without having done any investigating on his own, and is just throwing in with a crowd. You see many of these followers here on city data, they watch faux news, and think it's the gospel and truth, when in fact, it was meant to inflame and (incite, but not necessarily the thought process.) they just follow.

Someone asks, why is the sky blue, and another person answers, because it is. Ask why, find out why. THINK.

What is right, what is wrong? I think people of legal age and of sound mind know the difference, therefore, they think.
To repeat an overused phrase, We will just have to agree to disagree. You feel that everything can be explained, I feel that much cannot and even those things that might be explained are outside the capabilities of some people though not outside their ability to feel or believe.

I can certainly find some concept that you firmly believe in, but cannot properly explain if we dwell long enough and deeply enough into almost anything. Everything becomes too complicated and interdependant at some point for anyone to explain. The answer to why the sky is blue might be viewed as a simple explaination of light waves, atmospheric density and water interference....until we start to ask about wave behavior, particle acceleration, light refraction and solid particle physics. We can surely get to a point where neither of us could describe the causality of a particular reaction and why it occurs in that manner under those conditions. Sometimes, "it is what it is" is the best answer under the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies