Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I agree with you. Best thing to do is not have a death penalty at all. LWOP would do just fine.

I don't believe you or I would ever be allowed to sit on a jury in a death case. One of the questions asked of each potential juror during jury selection is how they feel about the death penalty. If you are opposed to the death penalty, you are excused and not allowed on that jury.

I can't count the times I've said "two wrongs don't make a right." The death penalty is a "luxury" for those who treasure revenge. And it is becoming a "luxury" which our society can barely afford anymore.
Yes I'm familiar with the law. I was simply presenting a hypothetical situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Do you remember when George W Bush mocked a death row inmate? If anyone here believes that's being a good Christian, I'd like to hear your explanation. He also made the statement "God speaks through me" when asked about granting clemency. That day I knew if he was elected President we'd be facing a violent and unethical administration with twisted values.
Yes, that was in George W. Bush's Talk Magazine interview by Tucker Carlson (himself a conservative). Here's a link from a Karla Faye memorial website:

Karla Faye Tucker Brown Memorial

And here's a copy of the clipping from the magazine:

http://www.geocities.com/kftucker2007/talkmagclip.jpg

And here's Salon's interview with Tucker Carlson in which the GWB interview was touched upon in question #10 (you'll have to count them yourself; they aren't numbered).

"You burn out fast when you demagogue" - Salon.com

Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes I'm familiar with the law. I was simply presenting a hypothetical situation.
I have no doubt that you are far more familiar with the law than I am. That is clear.

I just pointed the jury selection thing out as conversation......and for people reading here who may not realize that a jury in a death penalty case has to be comprised of only people who support the death penalty.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yes, that was in George W. Bush's Talk Magazine interview by Tucker Carlson (himself a conservative). Here's a link from a Karla Faye memorial website:

Karla Faye Tucker Brown Memorial

And here's a copy of the clipping from the magazine:

http://www.geocities.com/kftucker2007/talkmagclip.jpg

And here's Salon's interview with Tucker Carlson in which the GWB interview was touched upon in question #10 (you'll have to count them yourself; they aren't numbered).

"You burn out fast when you demagogue" - Salon.com
Thanks very much for the links.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Thanks very much for the links.
You're welcome. I remembered the incident so clearly because it seemed to be a measure of the man, someone who seemed to be arrested in his mental, emotional, and social development at the level of a teenager. Common, I understand, in those who are alcoholics or drug addicts.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You're welcome. I remembered the incident so clearly because it seemed to be a measure of the man, someone who seemed to be arrested in his mental, emotional, and social development at the level of a teenager. Common, I understand, in those who are alcoholics or drug addicts.

Hmmm.......also seeminly an inability to empathize.......... as well as a strong denial and understanding of death and loss, which extended even to the members of our military dead returning home, for which he was responsible.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
Quote:
AC and fans actually benefit the guards. Population control. Did you ever think about that?

As I already pointed out, there are NO FUNDS set aside in Florida for a prison inmate to get a college education. If you would look at my post, which you quoted, you'd see what "education" funding is spent on. NOT COLLEGE EDUCATION.

So, you want an inmate to be released from prison, with no skills or training, have to be "challenged" to find a job? I guess you advocate more crime in your neighborhood or town or city too. What do you think former prison inmates are going to do for money if they CANNOT GET A JOB? Yeah, that's right. They're going to do more crimes. They may even mug you on the street. Or rob your house. Are you sure you're not just a little bit saddistic yourself? You want to cause more and more pain and hardship....your life must be enormously difficult in order to cause you to wish so much more punishment AFTER the prison sentence. Clearly you have absolutely no interest in human rights. Probably don't even know what the big deal is about human rights.

Teaching life skills and trades to inmates is ABOUT PROTECTING YOU after the inmate has served his/her sentence and is released into YOUR WORLD.

I'm talking about hardcore felons here. People that have failed after they have been given probation, work release or fines. People who have blown chance after chance and have graduated from petty offenses to big time crime (Rape, Murder, Armed Robbery, Selling large amounts of drugs) I'm also talking about first time offenders who commit serious violent offenses.

Do I want to pay for some rapist or armed robbers college education? Heck no! Do I care that he or she struggles after release from prison? Nope! IMO it's part of their punishment and after committing a serious crime you need to earn the trust of society again. It shouldn't just be handed to you.

If they commit another crime we throw them back in jail and if they mug me I'll break their neck and if they break into my home I blow their head off!

Most serious offenders are simply life long predators. They will never change and I have no sympathy for them.

I have family members who have chosen to go down the path of crime and drug use. While I still love them I have very little sympathy for them and if they end up dead or in prison I will mourn but I won't blame anyone but them!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Yes, it's ridiculous that the US is still debating it. The Death Penalty is an outdated, barbaric, and uncivilized form of punishment.
I'll be formally against the death penalty when they stop aborting the innocent babies in this country!!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Totally against it. "Thou shall not kill" applies to everybody, no exception. Killing someone for killing someone, where's the sense in this?

Lock them up for life and give away the key, let them think about what they've done alone in their cells. That's a bigger punishment and a more moral one.
So, thou shalt not kill applies, but an eye for an eye does not?
How do you decide which of two conflicting biblicly proscribed tenets you are going to support?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So, thou shalt not kill applies, but an eye for an eye does not?
How do you decide which of two conflicting biblicly proscribed tenets you are going to support?
Are you pro-life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies