Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,253,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We Texans would not secede unless things got totally out of control. The point is that people would even consider the possibility. The federal govt with both parties needs to wake up that many of the common people across the country are not happy with the current course of outrageous spending and debt.
The point in the article is that Texas doesn't have the legal right to secede. So secession is a moot point. Just demagoguery on Perry's part. To whip up the "base," line 'em up for votes. So ridiculously transparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,460,280 times
Does anybody care anymore about Texas and their dreams of seceding?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM

491 posts, read 883,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
bye bye texas... have fun down there being.... well texASS
It couldn't be HALF as fun as being in Boise, could it?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,976,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights. Perry told the Austin crowd Wednesday that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principals. During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union.

Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
As good for the rest of us as it would be if Texas did leave the Union, I still think it is our duty as humanitarians to prevent this tragedy:

You'd have concentration camps springing up within weeks from Texarkana to Del Rio.

The faithful would eat blacks, Mexicanos, and anyone else they believed didn't worship a guy who lived over 2k yrs ago exactaly as they wanted them to.

Then there's the problem of security for the US.

God knows who the Texans would bond with?
The Pakistanis or perhaps N.Koreans is my best guess.

So, no, as responsible adults we have to keep them in their room- if only for their own good.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,814,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You guys are opening up an entirely different subject that is very distasteful to patriotic Americans. Shame on you.
This is code for I am ignorant of the topic and do not want to discuss it....

Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,577,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This is code for I am ignorant of the topic and do not want to discuss it....
Oh, so you are a Lincoln hater, too? The truth is sickening

Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The governor did not roll out any carpet for anyone. How can the state of California control the flow of immigrants across our border? We need federal protection\ control of the border [just like Arizona\ New Mexico\ Texas]. None of the individual states on the US\Mexico border can do anything to stop immigrants. Bush did nothing. My hope is that Obama can put a stop to the immigration problem.
It may have been Davis, so if I'm wrong about which governor is responsible then I'll stand corrected, but one of them approved $36 billion in spending for insurance benefits and medicare for illegal immigrants, which nearly bankrupted the state and has had horrible repercussions. State employees are making minimum wage now. You're right in that the state can't control the flow of illegals into the country but it would help if they didn't entice them with free insurance and other benefits that most actual U.S. citizens can't even afford.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,274,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
bye bye texas... have fun down there being.... well texASS

Really? If Idaho left would anyone notice? I think not.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:30 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,814,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYT View Post
This statement is so bizarre and foreign to me.

I've always considered my country first, even when I didn't agree with what they were doing. I have never even considered myself a part of anything else (state, race or otherwise).

It is horribly sad, reading these threads has made me realize how divided our country truly is (It's like we're the sunnis and shi'ites in Iraq).
Actually that is how Americans WERE for the longest time...

They were Virginians first.

It wasn't until Lincoln started the Civil War and ultimately crushed the south that this way of thinking started to vanish...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Wow, because you're just too good for the South, right? Or, let's just discredit an entire city because of the geographical region in which it sits. Close-minded?
The funny thing is, TANaples lives in an even more southern state than Texas! Closed-minded? More like NO-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies