Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
OTOH, more than that nationwide believe in the "right" to secede.
the right to.. and proposing to do so.. are two different things....

ask how many people believe in having the right to push their car off a cliff.. and then ask how many are wanting to do exactly that... You'll get very different numbers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 PM

491 posts, read 886,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
18 percent is a lot of people if you ask me... Only a state like texas would have 18 percent wanting to seceed....I would say the same thing about california... this notion that you're so big and influential enough to actually be discussing it...

Idaho is probably one of the most libertarian states in the union, It's redness on a map has little to do with why southern states are red... It's more about fiscally, and socially, smaller government, live and let live... SO.. after illustrating the independent nature of most idahoans, I would challenge you to find a poll where 18 percent of the people here would favor seperating from the union... That is what I'm trying to point out.. It's not about ideology.. it's about power....get off your soap box..
I could really care less if Idaho goes blue, red, or paisley. The point I'm trying to get across is that you just seem to want to bash Texas in general, rather than discuss anything relevant to the issue of this thread. Making statements like "Only a state like texas would have 18 percent wanting to seceed" has no relevance at all since that is hardly a majority. That's just facts, guy. Let's see all the rest of the states polled and how their numbers compare. Even then, so what?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union
Good! let 'em.
They can acquire funds from state taxpayers to fix roads and bridges and infrastructure, keep paying unemployment benefits, run social programs, entitlement programs, why hell, they can even tax the crap out of their citizens to cover medicare costs and also fund their own social security recipients!

I heard taxes were already high in texas, if they want to separate from the union, their taxpayers will be footing the bill, and they will not receive ANY federal funds.

Texas will be like, "a whole other country"!

How many texans will immigrate back into the US?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 PM

491 posts, read 886,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union
Good! let 'em.
They can acquire funds from state taxpayers to fix roads and bridges and infrastructure, keep paying unemployment benefits, run social programs, entitlement programs, why hell, they can even tax the crap out of their citizens to cover medicare costs and also fund their own social security recipients!

I heard taxes were already high in texas, if they want to separate from the union, their taxpayers will be footing the bill, and they will not receive ANY federal funds.

Texas will be like, "a whole other country"!

How many texans will immigrate back into the US?
And yet another one drinks Perry's kool-aid.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
I could really care less if Idaho goes blue, red, or paisley. The point I'm trying to get across is that you just seem to want to bash Texas in general, rather than discuss anything relevant to the issue of this thread. Making statements like "Only a state like texas would have 18 percent wanting to seceed" has no relevance at all since that is hardly a majority. That's just facts, guy. Let's see all the rest of the states polled and how their numbers compare. Even then, so what?
So of all the things I would choose to just specifically bash would be a state in the United states.. and that state being texas just because that's what I want to do??? I don't know what you're smoking... but people are not "bashing" texas.. they're stating their disgusted opinion of it's govenor going around the state talking about separation from the union.. and the fact that it is not being curbed.. THAT"S IT... other than that.. texas doesn't really play any role in my mind otherwise...
But i do know from personal experience the attitudes of people in texas which is very proud and at times arrogant.. which in most cases an endearing quality or aspect.. but in cases like this (if it indeed is rooted in this) it is disgusting....hence.. my comments "ONLY a place like texas"
Surely you can catch my drift?
now, quit whining

Old 04-18-2009, 01:02 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol nice try, I played college hockey in Maine, and I've traveled to many different countries. Going to Greece and Turkey for my honeymoon in July So don't even go there.

And here's yet another stalker I have...
When you stop making uninformed claims then all of us will stop calling you out on it

Old 04-18-2009, 02:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
So, are those challenging Perry's comment about secession just bored or has he really hit a sore place. Some reactions here push hilarity to its limits. It's like...

! ! ! ! IT"S MY CANDY AND YOU'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME ! ! ! !

You're overlooking the most hilarious aspect of Perry's bufoonery.

There he was at a rally of idiots who've just gotten tax cuts, but who were griping about taxes. While waving the American flag and patting each other on the back for being great Americans, they begin chanting, "secede!"

There apperently is no cure for stupid.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
OTOH, more than that nationwide believe in the "right" to secede.
This isn't a popularity contest. This is the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Constitution. You can't secede. End of story. The only viable approach is to change the constitution and frankly your side doesn't come close to having the votes.

This is just sour grapes from a loser party.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:33 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This isn't a popularity contest. This is the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Constitution. You can't secede. End of story. The only viable approach is to change the constitution and frankly your side doesn't come close to having the votes.
No...get the SC to interpret it differently. I read the 10th Amendment very different from the way you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This is just sour grapes from a loser party.
We're not losers here in TX...we're still a solid majority.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No...get the SC to interpret it differently. I read the 10th Amendment very different from the way you do.
What you fail to understand is that neither of our interpretations of the amendment means a damn. The Courts are the sole interpreter of the Constitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
We're not losers here in TX...we're still a solid majority.
Until the Hispanic vote catches up, but you're losers on the national stage and likely to remain a inconsequential force at the national level for quite a few years. Hence the loser moniker for the Republican Party. Incompetent, out of touch, and wrong headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies