Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:28 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times

Advertisements

I used to be very lenient about immigration mainly because my parents immigrated to this country(legally) but after reading about this recent crime in Alabama where 5 illegals were murdered execution style over drug money, I am starting to worry. I lived in Phoenix from 2000-2003 and recently I read that Phoenix has become the #2 kidnapping capital in the world only behind Mexico City. I am not trying to propagate hate and intolerance but I feel like we have to do something before our country becomes a Third World craphole like Mexico. Opinions?

Kidnapping Capital of the U.S.A. - ABC News
Grisly slayings brings Mexican drug war to Alabama : Corpus Christi World | Caller-Times |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I'm in Texas. It's been happening for years but is now getting attention because it is moving further into the US. Maybe now something WILL be done because more than just Texas is aware of this problem.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
They've needed to shut the border down for decades.
Why the politicians REFUSE to do it I don't know.

Really pissed me off when I went to a beautiful North Carolina Mountain town.........and there they were. Day Laborers waiting at the Gas Station, fresh off the truck.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,589 times
You can blame two groups for our illegal alien problem: 1) Corporate lobbyists and 2) Ethnocentric/Mexican special interest groups.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I blame the government for not fundihng the border security part of the 83 so called amnesty bill.Its like so many thingsa in bills and budget that really mean nothing because they remain unfunded so mnay times.Its a trick that they like to play on voters often.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
Don't forget to call/write your congressional reps and let your voices be heard!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,596 times
You have to look at the agenda. Like most things you have but to follow the money. Big business wants the cheap labor.

All drug related violence could be ended tomorrow. Simply legalize drugs. This won't happen because there is too much money in it.

The current violence is now being called a national security issue as if an unsecured border was not a national security issue in the first place. Ah but that's the point. Its now being called a national security issue as an effort to control firearms.

- Reel

Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,942 times
I believe we should clear out our state and federal prisons of non-violent drug offenders and make some room for the illegal gangstas, it's clearly getting out of control.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I say make murder involved in the drug trade punishable by the death penalty.I certain don't want to have the cartels replaced by commercial drug compnaies.that the problem we have now too many people on drugs that really create the demand and htus the violence in Mexico and are bring it to our country too.We have enough zombies on drugs now . next thing you know they will want free drugs thru the governamnt to reduce the stealing that support many of their habits.I say build more jails and crackdown all all of them responsible.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 AM

358 posts, read 472,555 times
Texdav, the death penalty never has worked to reduce crime, granted there has never been another crime comitted by anyone that the death penalty was successfuly carried out upon but it does not reduce crime. Almost to a man (woman?) when interviewed the convict will answer, "I thought I could get away with it". The trick is to change that attitude, rather than making the punishment "worse".

I have no problem with the death penalty from a moral or religious stance, I just like things that are effective for the desired objective. Hell, I would thake the death penalty for myself before solitary as Youself (27 when he went in), the world trade center 1st bomber. He gets out of his cage once every 24 hours for 30 minutes on alternating days for a shower and outside exercise. His only contact with a live human is then with his guard. If he lives to expected average for a male he will have spent about 50 years in solitary. That is punishment, that is punishment far worse than death. The 23 1/2 remaining hours is spent in a federally mandated sized cell with a 50 watt light bulb and whatever reading materal he is allowed.

I know id is colorful to call for the death penalty but can't we work smarter? I think it is time to legalize drugs, tax em for treatment programs, educational programs and release the users and pushers. Then start closing prisions as necessary. We have been proving the definition of insanity for over 50 years with the war on drugs. What do I care if some idiot chooses to die with a needle in his arm? I don't. But when he makes me a crime victim or my family or friends a crime victim then it becomes an issue I care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies