Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Obama's high speed train
Great idea (will create jobs and improve transportation) 51 76.12%
Bad idea (waste money, planes is all we need) 12 17.91%
Don't know 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
0 replies from republicans = It's a good idea but they don't want to admit it because it comes from Obama

Republican bipartisanship at its best

bad idea.

I also think that if a program cannot make it without subsidies, then it should not be done at all.

if you want to loan it money to get started, fine. but after it is up and running, no more public funds at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
The Brits tried privatizing their rail.
It was not maintained and the companies were gouging the passengers.

I live in Europe.
I travel by trail as much as possible. It's inexpensive, stress-free, I can read a book, etc. I absolutely enjoy it.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
High speed rail would be great, but only if self sustaining. Amtrak has been a black hole.
Government can't keep up with road maintenance, how would high speed rail infrastructure be any different?
And being an arrogant American, I could give two s**** how Europe does it.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
0 replies from republicans = It's a good idea but they don't want to admit it because it comes from Obama

Republican bipartisanship at its best

You won't hear it from this conservative. I am about as PRO high speed rail and light rail fan that you'll ever find. I spent two years in Germany and fell in love with their transportation system.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I also think that if a program cannot make it without subsidies, then it should not be done at all.
Shut down the airline industry,
they are highly subsidized and most airports are owned and run by the government

Old 04-17-2009, 06:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
High speed rail would be great, but only if self sustaining. Amtrak has been a black hole.
Government can't keep up with road maintenance, how would high speed rail infrastructure be any different?
And being an arrogant American, I could give two s**** how Europe does it.
Once established, rail is nowhere near as difficult to maintain as the highway system.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Its actually an idea worth looking into. Obama may have an idea already suggested years ago, but at least he shows he's capabale of knowing a good idea when he's given one. now all he has to do is make it doable by finding the money. He can scrap many of his less than sensible budgetary plans.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Shut down the airline industry,
they are highly subsidized and most airports are owned and run by the government
Now your on to something.
Pull away the airline subsidies(not shut them down as you exaggerate) and fares will increase, thus creating an opportunity and financial incentive for the rail industry to develop it themselves.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
What do you all think about Obama's proposal to build a highspeed train network?
The reason passenger service died in this country was because of the scheduled airlines. Plane travel is faster, more convenient, and more comfortable.

If there was a demand for travel by train once again, the railroads would be building these lines.

However, today, it will be difficult with environmental restrictions, etc. and obtaining the rights-of-way (for which you must take land from private owners) will not be easy, and will be expensive.

Based on the history of Amtrak, I doubt these lines would be profitable. Another government boondoggle in the making.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
That looks like a good route plan. I suggest starting with upgrading existing track as has been done in New England but plan on building new high speed track on a separate right of way designed for 200+ mph service with seperated grade crossings etc. Yes, this will cost a lot of money, but will provide much more economic value than million dollar cruise missiles, subsidized alcohol fuel, oil depletion allowances and many of the other government boondoggles.

High speed rail is just one of the things we need to do to bring our physical infrastructure into the 21st century. We have been wearing out the existing and it need to be rebuilt and improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies