Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times

Advertisements

with all these corporations who lend people money and give credit. how are they failing when they make millions probably even billions off of late fees. hidden fees overages and interest/ sneaky interest practices(changing your rates w/o telling you.? from people who pay on time and those who try to pay from behind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
with all these corporations who lend people money and give credit. how are they failing when they make millions probably even billions off of late fees. hidden fees overages and interest/ sneaky interest practices(changing your rates w/o telling you.? from people who pay on time and those who try to pay from behind!
Good question, I have no idea. I know I've been bitten in the ass by those late fees & overage fees.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Like any business, they have structured their input and outgo in such a way that there will be a reasonable return on their investment. And ike any business that deals directly with the consumer, they have discovered that lowball and bait/switch are effective selling tools. So they offer you low introductory intrest rates, and as long as you play by their rules, you do fine. If nobody ever defaulted, they would lose money, but they know that most people are gullible morons, so they have the expectation that their main source, only source, of income is exploding interest rates and late fees. People who carry a balance are subsidizing me, as I am getting a very convenient service and not paying a cent for it. The cost of doing business with people like me is paid for by people who pay late fees and interest.

However, their best calculations failed to adequately take their own greed into account, and failed to consider that if they gouged enough people deeply enough, they would default in sufficient numbers that the income would begin to fall short of the output.

By the way, I read today that 21% of all people making over 100K are living from paycheck to paycheck. What does that tell you about the reliability of the American people to keep their financial house in order? (45% of all Americans at all income levels live from payday to payday.) It really IS amazing that people are so incredibly stupid, and the credit industry still cannot make money off them.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
They fail when people default on their loans, mortgages and credit card payments. I'm not feeling too sorry for those financial companies as they brought this on themselves through greed.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Do the math.

Say they charge a $35 late fee. If one person defaults on one $5000 debt, they have to collect 143 late fees just to recover that debt. That doesn't recover the $5k they should/would have made on the fees, either - that's just to break even.

Then they still have to pay for their employees, rent, utilities, supplies, insurance, communications, postage, benefits, etc.

I'm not making excuses for these companies - they voluntarily took on the risk, and they should be held responsible for it. I'm just saying that there's more to running a business than some people seem to think.

By the way, nobody's changing interest rates without informing their customers. If it happens, it's a gross violation of the credit laws, and the fines are steep. People need to learn that they're supposed to read the inserts that come with the statement, and read the contract they're agreeing to when they apply for that credit. It's all covered in those documents.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People need to learn that they're supposed to read the inserts that come with the statement, and read the contract they're agreeing to when they apply for that credit. It's all covered in those documents.
Yeah, but I think it's good to have some rules that are easy to understand, or at least a summary of the rules at the top of the contract. We do have a basic summary (thanks to Chuck Schumer), but if the banks had their way, they would disclose as little as possible.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, but I think it's good to have some rules that are easy to understand, or at least a summary of the rules at the top of the contract. We do have a basic summary (thanks to Chuck Schumer), but if the banks had their way, they would disclose as little as possible.
If you pay your bills in-full and on-time, you don't have to worry about all of that legal stuff.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Wait, so you want them to blithely lend you the money, but you can't be bothered to read the agreement b/c it's just too hard or tedious for you?

Wtf?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
If you pay your bills in-full and on-time, you don't have to worry about all of that legal stuff.
I do, and I never pay a penny of interest. But not everyone is as lucky as I am.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wait, so you want them to blithely lend you the money, but you can't be bothered to read the agreement b/c it's just too hard or tedious for you?
It's not too hard or too tedious for me at all. You jumped too quickly to your conclusion.

I do think there should be, as I said, a brief summary of the rules at the top of a credit card contract. It's nothing new - the banks have been required to provide that summary for at least the last decade, and I think it's a good thing. I doubt that it's much of a burden for a bank to provide that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies