Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 09:16 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,554,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
This is the way I look at things too. I've historically voted mostly democrat. I actually voted for Obama in the primaries. It was after he won the primary that I noticed his tone change and gave me my WTF moment. So on and so forth.

I was thinking to myself - if the USA was a business, Obama would be a terrible CEO. He's brought in to replace the failed leadership and make the company profitable. He's got some support and energy going for the short term, the new hotness, y'know, but he's got the wrong vision and he's still got to deal with the idiots still on the corporate board. The long road is going to be very costly as a result and the company probably won't survive. So then who's going to bail US(A) out?
I am still wondering why a man with no political experience would spend $300 million for a job that pays $200K a year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,838,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I am still wondering why a man with no political experience would spend $300 million for a job that pays $200K a year...
Why? So he can meet a lot of hot women like good old Bill Clinton. Also so the Obamas can earn millions of dollars like the Clintons did. Nothing like good honest politics.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 AM

54 posts, read 73,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I think all the people pulling the race card are actually secretly racist and are trying to prove really hard the opposite. Kinda like that neighbor dad in "American Beauty" eh?
Do you mean the right wing dad played by Chris Cooper? The classic authoritarian, gung ho marine super-patriot, who's actually a bigoted, domineering closet case and hates sensitivity.... you mean that one?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,850,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming_on_Mongo View Post
Do you mean the right wing dad played by Chris Cooper? The classic authoritarian, gung ho marine super-patriot, who's actually a bigoted, domineering closet case and hates sensitivity.... you mean that one?
Something like that.

The same guy who spends the entire movie preaching against everything he secretly is.

In fact, that is a good part of what the movie is about, being spending their entire lives pretending to be something they not and ending up basketcase as a result.

Last edited by Frank_Carbonni; 04-18-2009 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,841,659 times
Yeah, that one. Not Kevin Spacey. And I want to point out I say that toungue-in-cheek, I don't mean to say anyone or absolutely everyone speaking out against the protests is a closet-racist. Just a fun similarity but when you pull that card out, perhaps there's a sliver of truth in there somewhere.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,610,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming_on_Mongo View Post
I think I could marry I guy like that!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,823,834 times
it's always nice to hear what a failed comedian has to say about people. especially when the interview is being conducted on sports center. what's next from this party? is stuart smalley going to run for senator of minnesota or something absurd like that?

Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,927,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Because he was successful he is an uncle tom? Maybe you're jealous of him because he made it on top?
It was sarcasm. I'm FAR from a lib. People on CD have referred to Keyes as an Uncle Tom. I'm not surprised if some dismiss Cosby as the same.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,888,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Where do you live? In a vacuum? Come teach in NYC and see what is going on. The majority of the students in school in the South Bronx and Harlem are on welfare. What’s the matter does the truth hurt? Bill Cosby says even tougher things about the African American Community. Is he a racist? Get your cool aid comrade.
No, I don't live in a vacuum. I'm more familiar with NYC than many people, though I have never taught there. BUt whatever you see there in one school CANNOT be attributed to entirety of the black race in America.

PS. If you have ever read my posts, you will understand that I am about as close to a "Comrade" as NYC is to Moscow.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 04-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added the PS

Old 04-18-2009, 02:03 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,524,256 times
Quote:
That's funny because when I watched Fox News's coverage of the Atlanta event, I saw lots of black people. I was kind of surprised, actually.
Why were you surprised? Atlanta is a very diverse metro, and its inner city has one of the historically highest black populations in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies