Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,504,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
We are getting closer but calling her smart as a box of rocks is clearly unsupportable. I agree that when she was selected she was not ready for prime time, but I think with more experience she could be a valuable leader.

Again each side has to look at itself, in your opinion Joe's gaffs are indicitive of nothing yet Palin's are evidence of her lack of intelligence.
It's not their gaffes that I'm looking at. It's my perception when they're speaking the other 99% of the time. Palin does not strike me as being interested in anything intellectual.

Quote:
Also bringing family into this is unacceptable. Some have argued that because she brought her family into the lime light they are fair game. However if people attacked Obama's kids there would be outraged, yet they were on 60 minutes. Can't have it both ways, lets agree to leave family out of this.
All other things being equal, I'd agree. However, when someone espouses a "family values" platform, I feel comfortable looking into her private life.

Quote:
Finally people have got to get off this anti-religion kick. Yes she has a faith and it guides her life, this is hardly threatening.
I'm not anti-religion. I'm anti- religion-mixed-with-politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,710,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No question. And better smart than clueless.

I knew it wouldn't take long, see post 29 exhibit A.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
It's not their gaffes that I'm looking at. It's my perception when they're speaking the other 99% of the time. Palin does not strike me as being interested in anything intellectual.

All other things being equal, I'd agree. However, when someone espouses a "family values" platform, I feel comfortable looking into her private life.

I'm not anti-religion. I'm anti- religion-mixed-with-politics.
You are entitled to your perception but in a debate it doen't carry much weight. I think Joe Biden has ADHD but I can't support it so I don't use it to make debating points.

Tell me what politician would deny having a family values platform.

People are integrated beings whatever religous values they have on one level or another goes into thier decision making. Religion is nothing to be afraid of some of the US's greatest forces for change were religous people. Martin Luther King, Jesse Jackson et al.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,901,941 times
Quote:
Yikes you just can't admit anything negitive about a Democrat very telling and also a real problem affecting the country today on both sides.
I said the remark was Stupid. What I won't admit is that our VP's remarks are impacting the country in a negative way because I see no evidence of that. Quayle's words hurt no one but himself. Biden's words hurt no one but himself. Cheney's ACTIONS hurt the country. If he had only spoken words, the country wouldn't be as deep in shat as it is.

Show me where Biden's stupid gaffes have had a negative impact on the country. Show me...

I've posted in the Palin thread the negative impact Palin is having in Alaska. PROOf positive that she would have had the same negative impact on the country.

Don't you remember what your mama told you,

'Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.'

If words are that painful to you, pray for deafness to relieve you.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I said the remark was Stupid. What I won't admit is that our VP's remarks are impacting the country in a negative way because I see no evidence of that. Quayle's words hurt no one but himself. Biden's words hurt no one but himself. Cheney's ACTIONS hurt the country. If he had only spoken words, the country wouldn't be as deep in shat as it is.

Show me where Biden's stupid gaffes have had a negative impact on the country. Show me...

I've posted in the Palin thread the negative impact Palin is having in Alaska. PROOf positive that she would have had the same negative impact on the country.

Don't you remember what your mama told you,

'Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.'

If words are that painful to you, pray for deafness to relieve you.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Palin was invited to speak at a conference, her camp knew nothing of it, she couldn't make it and they got someone else. This hurt Alaska? OOOOOOOOOK.

Some would argue Cheney's actions protected the country, I am not sure what evidence you have that he damaged the country.

I don't share your view that the office of the Vice President is so unimportant that the gaffs he makes go unoticed in other capitals.

Nice nursery rhyme do you have any others?

Last edited by shorebaby; 04-19-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 01:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,504,216 times
Quote:
You are entitled to your perception but in a debate it doen't carry much weight. I think Joe Biden has ADHD but I can't support it so I don't use it to make debating points.
That was my opinion. I'm not making a debating point.

Quote:
Tell me what politician would deny having a family values platform.
Except in this case, "family values" includes abstinence.

Quote:
People are integrated beings whatever religous values they have on one level or another goes into thier decision making. Religion is nothing to be afraid of some of the US's greatest forces for change were religous people. Martin Luther King, Jesse Jackson et al.
King fought for the expansion of rights. Todays religious right wants to deny them. That's what I oppose: Denying freedoms based on religious doctrine.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
That was my opinion. I'm not making a debating point.

Except in this case, "family values" includes abstinence.

King fought for the expansion of rights. Todays religious right wants to deny rights. That's what I oppose: Denying freedoms based on religious doctrine.
You know what they say about opinions....

So what? Is there an exception for abstinence? We are only allowed to go after family values you don't agree with? Joe Biden is anti drug his daughter was implicated in drug use (I said in this forum that it was unfair to bring this up the same as Palin's daughter)

Some would argue that that the pro life movement is expanding rights to the unborn but my guess is King's followers won't be climbing on board anytime soon.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:29 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,901,941 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. Palin was invited to speak at a conference, her camp knew nothing of it, she couldn't make it and they got someone else. This hurt Alaska? OOOOOOOOOK.

Some would argue Chaney's actions protected the country, I am not sure what evidence you have that he damaged the country.

I don't share your view that the office of the Vice President is so unimportant that the gaffs he makes go unoticed in other capitals.

Nice nursery rhyme do you have any others?
It's obvious you 'have no idea' what I'm talking about. You have no idea what is going on in Alaska right now. Her being 3000 miles from home is not the issue. Why don't you read PALIN PALIN PALIN (all things Palin thread) before you show your ignorance again.

Juneau is still without representation because she is ignoring the law regarding appointment. She's too vindictive to appoint the Democrat's choice for nominee. Before you start showing your ignorance, let me tell you that state law requires she pick someone nominated by the Dems because the person who left the position was a Dem. There is no Attorney General because she nominated a lying, disrespectful to woman, homophobe for the position. A man that, twice, Alaska lawyers rejected as unqualified for a position as judge. The Legislators, rightly, rejected her choice. She wants the legislature to accept stimulus money to replace state spending which is against stimulus law,and which will likely result in less money for Alaska which is currently $1B in debt.

Oh, and by the way, I happen to live in Alaska.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
It's obvious you 'have no idea' what I'm talking about. You have no idea what is going on in Alaska right now. Her being 3000 miles from home is not the issue. Why don't you read PALIN PALIN PALIN (all things Palin thread) before you show your ignorance again.

Juneau is still without representation because she is ignoring the law regarding appointment. She's too vindictive to appoint the Democrat's choice for nominee. Before you start showing your ignorance, let me tell you that state law requires she pick someone nominated by the Dems because the person who left the position was a Dem. There is no Attorney General because she nominated a lying, disrespectful to woman, homophobe for the position. A man that, twice, Alaska lawyers rejected as unqualified for a position as judge. The Legislators, rightly, rejected her choice. She wants the legislature to accept stimulus money to replace state spending which is against stimulus law,and which will likely result in less money for Alaska which is currently $1B in debt.

Oh, and by the way, I happen to live in Alaska.

You are a loon (I usually refrain from this kind of thing) you keep sending me to the same 3 Huff Po links. I admit I do not know the ins and outs of Alaska politics but if your sources for this are like the Huff Po I imagine the truth is somewhat different than you present.

It is perfectly logical to decline the federal money as stipulated because once the money is gone the states are still obligated to spend at the same level they did when they received the funds. I think she is right, if Alaska is $1 billion in debt, it makes sense to pay it off.

By the way what is her approval rating in Alaska?

Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,149,140 times
Quote:
Palin does not strike me as being interested in anything intellectual.
And that would be based on the extensive time you've spent with her, or just because she's a woman and from Alaska? Of course there is also the obvious point that not being an "intellectual" isn't always a bad thing. There is a huge difference between being intelligent, being educated, and being an intellectual.

You strike me as one who fancies himself an intellectual, and you strike me as having the usual dismissive arrogance indicative of many academics and other intellectuals. Fair? Assumptions are great, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies