Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times

Advertisements

or would the U.S.S.R. have fallen apart anyway? I know nothing about this subject but your perspectives must be consumed by my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 08:50 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
The U.S.S.R. had been bankrupt for years..... much like how the U.S. is now...
Reagan was the straw that broke the camels back..... The U.S.S.R. already had one foot in the grave with the other foot on the banana peel.... Reagan just gave them a little nudge.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Reagan happened to be on stage at the time of the breakup of the Soviet Union. He played no significant role in the event, however. There is only one group of people in the world who believe that he did...conservative Republicans in the United States. The members of al-Qaeda might have it a bit better in their belief that Osama bin Laden was responsible for the breakup of the Soviet Union, but that is an extraordinarily weak claim as well. The dissolution of the USSR came about per the confluence of a variety of currents that neither Reagan nor bin Laden influenced in any meaningful way. They were both around at the time. That's about the extent of it...

Old 05-19-2007, 10:10 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
The Soviet block would have fallen on its own. Reagan caused it to happen sooner. He spent them to death. Reagan increased military spending so dramatically when the USSR tried to keep up it went bankrupt.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:42 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Well the libs will tell you absolutley not he had nothing to do with it! At the very least Reagan forced their hand , one has to wonder what would of happened if Carter were still President, I would suggest they would have been around much longer!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The Soviet block would have fallen on its own. Reagan caused it to happen sooner. He spent them to death. Reagan increased military spending so dramatically when the USSR tried to keep up it went bankrupt.
Reagan's acceleration of defense spending came primarily in 1985-89, and at its peak, it was only about $80 billion above the Cold War average. Thanks in part to the collapse of the USSR and resulting access to their papers, we now know that the Soviets could have matched that level of spending for at least decades had they chosen to do so. They did not choose to do so for reasons that had very little to do with Ronald Reagan...

Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Reagan's acceleration of defense spending came primarily in 1985-89, and at its peak, it was only about $80 billion above the Cold War average. Thanks in part to the collapse of the USSR and resulting access to their papers, we now know that the Soviets could have matched that level of spending for at least decades had they chosen to do so. They did not choose to do so for reasons that had very little to do with Ronald Reagan...
OK, you got me. What were the reasons?

Old 05-19-2007, 11:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
So Reagan called the U.S.S.R. on many things..... a debatable international poker game if you will.....

Reagan was not only a great orator, he was also one of the best B.S.er's around.... Take the "Star Wars" deal for instance..... there was no such thing, but the Rooskies didn't know that..... and Reagan played that card for all it was worth.

I know plenty of Dem's that would agree that Reagan played a role, albeit minimaly, in the demise of the Rooskie Empire.

The major players in the fall of the U.S.S.R. were the eastern block nations themselves....
Sure, the U.S.S.R. could have lasted longer, matching us in the old dialing for dollars facade, but the eastern block countries would have no part of it and finally stood up and said 'nuffs e 'nuff..... and the rest is history....

The U.S.S.R. had no choice but to comply and pull back.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 13,059 times
Default Reagan....did nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
or would the U.S.S.R. have fallen apart anyway? I know nothing about this subject but your perspectives must be consumed by my mind.
Reagan was a movie actor first and a politician second. Acting is beneficial for one who goes into politics. As to the cold war, the wall, he did nothing except support the republican ruin of organized labor, health care, and increased privatization of a lot of government services using the lie it was more cost effective and efficient....like haliburton...right

Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
lol i doubt that man could even tie his shoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies