Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

i see a lot of chained up pets around here living near or on their own feces!!! and i think that if you have to chain your pet you should not have one.. what do you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i see a lot of chained up pets around here living near or on their own feces!!! and i think that if you have to chain your pet you should not have one.. what do you think.
This is a no-brainer, report it to the authorities.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
With the exception of short periods of time, in a clean area, with plenty of food and water and protection from the elements. Like going to the store for a half hour.

Those people who can leave a pet outside on a chain, in unsafe or unsanitary condition, for hours and days on end, are criminals and should be treated as such.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:55 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
It depends. Is it a long (50ft or more) zip line between trees? Is the chain long where they dog can move freely? Does it have a chance of getting caught on something?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Unfortunately, it's legal in many areas. I think it's terribly cruel to keep a pet chained outside all day in the heat.

Didn't know this could be discussed in this forum. I've written about this before. Right now I'm being forced to move because my neighbor has 3 pit bulls tied up in the yard and they bark & cry constantly. I have insomnia, so it's making me very sick. I gave up complaining to Animal Services. If they have food, water and some kind of minimal shelter, it's not considered to be animal cruelty. Some states have a law against it, but in a state like FL where greyhound racing is a big sport, you can't expect the authorities to care about a few love starved pets. IMO all dogs should be petted, taken for walks and be able to sleep inside a house with humans, but I don't run the world.

Here is one thread in which I posted. It's not uncommon for dog owners to keep them chained 24/7. I don't get it.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/albuquerque/604058-barking-dogs.html[/URL]

edit: I want to add something. The last time I called Lee County Animal Services, the woman got angry at me. She said "The officer was there and reported that the dogs get fed and have water. A lot of dogs don't even get that." I am not making this up.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Unfortunately, it's legal in many areas. I think it's terribly cruel to keep a pet chained outside all day in the heat.

Didn't know this could be discussed in this forum. I've written about this before. Right now I'm being forced to move because my neighbor has 3 pit bulls tied up in the yard and they bark & cry constantly. I have insomnia, so it's making me very sick. I gave up complaining to Animal Services. If they have food, water and some kind of minimal shelter, it's not considered to be animal cruelty. Some states have a law against it, but in a state like FL where greyhound racing is a big sport, you can't expect the authorities to care about a few love starved pets. IMO all dogs should be petted, taken for walks and be able to sleep inside a house with humans, but I don't run the world.

Here is one thread in which I posted. It's not uncommon for dog owners to keep them chained 24/7. I don't get it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...king-dogs.html

I understand where you're coming from. (dont see the need to point out they were pit bulls...ive known a lot of pit bulls to be very, very good, docile, friendly, protective pets...its the ghetto thugs and trailer trash that give them bad names).

But do you think a dog prefers being on a long chain/zip line or in a 8x8 or 10x10 pen?

I love dogs but dont have one now because I stay in an apartment and wouldnt feel right having a dog live in an apartment.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
no it is cruel to have pets. everyone thinks you are not doing a good enough job of caring for them.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I understand where you're coming from. (dont see the need to point out they were pit bulls...ive known a lot of pit bulls to be very, very good, docile, friendly, protective pets...its the ghetto thugs and trailer trash that give them bad names).
Yes, these pit bills are very nice dogs, at least the 2 they got as puppies. They just got a third dog, however, and I don't know if he's friendly. I think I mentioned the breed to emphasize how loud they are. Still, an unsocialized pit bill is more dangerous than other breeds.

Quote:
But do you think a dog prefers being on a long chain/zip line or in a 8x8 or 10x10 pen?
Neither. A dog belongs in a house and should be walked every day.

Quote:
..its the ghetto thugs and trailer trash that give them bad names)
By the way, I lived in a trailer park for many years. Thanks for the stereotype.

....and you're upset that I mentioned the dogs are pit bulls?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, these pit bills are very nice dogs, at least the 2 they got as puppies. They used to be loose and they'd come over to play. Other neighbors complained so now they're tied up all day. They just got a third dog, however, and I don't know if he's friendly. I was only mentioning the breed well....to mention the breed. Sorry. Maybe it was to describe the neighbors. However, an unsocialized pit bull is more dangerous than other breeds because of its jaw.

Neither. The dog should be inside the house.

By the way, I lived in a trailer park for many years. I live in a nice neighborhood and these people are White trash.
Yeah...sorry. Its just I had a pit bull throughout college and a couple years after. I get defensive for them. They get such a bad rap because of the owners. My granddad had one on his farm when I was growing up. She was an awesome dog. They really can be great dogs as long they are raised right.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
It depends. Is it a long (50ft or more) zip line between trees? Is the chain long where they dog can move freely? Does it have a chance of getting caught on something?
they should have a law that states that if you chain a pet the chain or rope should be at least 30 feet or longer.some people are just cruel to animals and shoud not have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies