Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Hand guns usually end up in the wrong hands.......

My rifles are locked up, most hand guns are left lying around (for easy access).
Myth.

fact :Handguns that end up in the wrong hands did so because the owner was an ass.
The same as when a rifle ends up in the wrong hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
To each their own. Glocks= spray and pray weapon.
I'll take my 1911 8 round clip any day.
But good luck with your new shooter.
My GLOCKS are every bit as accurate as my 1911's. I believe it has more to do with the person behind the trigger. Of course, the intended use for my handguns is not "bulls-eye" target shooting either so YMMV. A hand sized area of hits on a target at 25 -35 yards is what I demand from my handguns. Most modern firearms, barring a mechanical defect, will perform with accuracy beyond the ability of the person operating them.

Your 1911's take clips? Really? Mine take magazines.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Myth.

fact :Handguns that end up in the wrong hands did so because the owner was an ass.
The same as when a rifle ends up in the wrong hands.

So, we have, each year, 400,000 gun owners who are asses?
(and thats just based on the 500,000 reported guns that are stolen both handguns and longuns, that were not locked up)

[i am not 100% on the numbers above, from reading something a while back - im sure you will correct me]

I'm sure all those who suddenly needed a gun (since the election) are going to take proper care of it.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Handguns usually end up in the wrong hands? That means that the majority of handguns are currently in the wrong hands? What exactly are the wrong hands? Are you talking about being stolen? I'm sure they are a popular item, but there is no way more than half of them are stolen.

As far as where you store them, that is usually up to state laws. In a "special" state, such as massachusetts, the laws are extremely restrictive/retarded. In more thoughtful states, such as Texas, the laws are more common sense. I can leave my guns out on the counter if I want to because I don't have any kids around. However, if my granddaughter comes to visit, guess what needs to happen to the guns? and it does, because I'm freaking brilliant, or at least I have an ounce of common sense.
If more handguns are stolen than rifles, I would guess that is because of two things. Handguns are easier to carry out and less people are afraid of them. My wife will shoot the hell out of the handguns, but has only shot my AK once because she doesn't like it at all. I personally think it is the smoothest gun I own besides the Mosquito that shoots .22LR, but I'm sure most people would side with her.

BTW, all my guns (except revolvers) use magazines as well. My wife sometimes puts a couple clips in her hair, though, and I use a clip to keep the bag of chips from getting stale.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Handguns usually end up in the wrong hands? That means that the majority of handguns are currently in the wrong hands? What exactly are the wrong hands? Are you talking about being stolen? I'm sure they are a popular item, but there is no way more than half of them are stolen.

As far as where you store them, that is usually up to state laws. In a "special" state, such as massachusetts, the laws are extremely restrictive/retarded. In more thoughtful states, such as Texas, the laws are more common sense. I can leave my guns out on the counter if I want to because I don't have any kids around. However, if my granddaughter comes to visit, guess what needs to happen to the guns? and it does, because I'm freaking brilliant, or at least I have an ounce of common sense.
If more handguns are stolen than rifles, I would guess that is because of two things. Handguns are easier to carry out and less people are afraid of them. My wife will shoot the hell out of the handguns, but has only shot my AK once because she doesn't like it at all. I personally think it is the smoothest gun I own besides the Mosquito that shoots .22LR, but I'm sure most people would side with her.

BTW, all my guns (except revolvers) use magazines as well. My wife sometimes puts a couple clips in her hair, though, and I use a clip to keep the bag of chips from getting stale.
A bad choice of words on my part. Should have been often.

For every person who takes care of anything (guns, cars, pets, kids) there are 10 who don't. (I would have used 1000, but I know that might be taken literally, and considered stretching it a bit)

Kudos to you for being responsible (and on your brilliance). But the same can't be said of many.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
To each their own. Glocks= spray and pray weapon.
I'll take my 1911 8 round clip any day.
But good luck with your new shooter.
Someone was talking about cultist?

Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This seems to point to the problem...the 'expert'....who is not.

How light is the trigger pull weight on a standard Glock?
I believe it comes out of the box as 5.5.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
well, I don't think all handgun owners should be considered irresponsible just because a minority of them are retarded. I also leave my AK sitting out leaning against my night stand. It's in a case, but that unzips really easy and I don't think anyone is going to break in to steal anything anyhow. I have a monitored alarm system and five dogs. That combined with my wife and I and the guns makes my house the last one on the street to hit
However, I welcome anyone to try...

Old 02-07-2010, 12:16 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If a Glock is dangerous due to it's trigger design then millions of revolvers are the same way. .
Yes, the Glock is as safe as a recolver assuming you carry the revolver with the hammer cocked.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the Glock is as safe as a recolver assuming you carry the revolver with the hammer cocked.
Assuming that all revolvers are single action?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies