Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I live in Los Angeles, and I have plenty of ex-friends in S Central who's family structure was entirely set up by working the system. Experience trumps words every time.

One of my friends has three half brothers, none are from the same father. I know quite well the situation, thanks.
And you are saying that this is the standard.
I challenge you to prove your assertion.

Anecdote does not equal data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
A woman can't get married or she'll lose her welfare benefits, but get's increased benefits the more children she has. Now that's logical, isn't it? Should we wonder why so many inner city families are made up of multi-fathered children? Liberals, with their good intentions, have stimulated poverty.

The system is designed to keep the poor- poor. If there were ever a "segregation of the classes" it is welfare. It's kind of like dangling a carrot on a poll in front of a horse. The horse see's the carrot, want's it badly, yet will never get to it.
First of all, there are more whites on welfare, than minorities. Second of all, many welfare recipients, just give up, and game the system. This has nothing to do with liberals though. No liberal can control the behavior of individuals. Welfare was meant to be a stop-gap measure, to help the destitute get on their feet.

If some welfare recipients misuse the program, then liberals can't be blamed for that. And I don't see how people gaming the welfare system, is indicative of racism against whites.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You might want to read a little of the EEO laws.
You're posting blanket statements where you have no education or understanding of the issue.
Ah, the elitist response. " you have no education or understanding of the issue.". And what pray tell makes you the smartest most understanding person on the subject?

Section 703 (a) made it unlawful for an employer to "fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions or privileges or employment, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin."

What part don't you understand?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
That's not true. A former classmate of mine is a minority and he got a ton of money for summer/winter classes on top of his (already generous) financial aid. His family is middle class at the very least.

Not to mention all the scholarships that are only for minority students. I don't recall any scholarships that only allowed whites to apply.
This "former classmate" told you all about his financial aid and finances?
Really?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
It was not scholarship money and he did not get any "gift money" from his family.

He was not an independent student. His home was with his family.

How many scholarships do you see that are geared only for minorities (where, as a requirement, the student had to be a certain ethnicity)? On the other hand, how many scholarships do you see that are for "whites only"?
Perhaps you classmate earned the 'ton of money'. That would be the only reasonable explanation, if you claim that he had not gotten the money from a scholarship, family, or a large financial aid package.

Yes, there are scholarships aimed at minorities, and women too. Doesn't mean that you can't get scholarships too, if you're white. As it stands, you're really grasping at straws, if you think that the scholarship and financial aid system, is racist against whites. You have absolutely no proof of that.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Perhaps you classmate earned the 'ton of money'. That would be the only reasonable explanation, if you claim that he had not gotten the money from a scholarship, family, or a large financial aid package.

Yes, there are scholarships aimed at minorities, and women too. Doesn't mean that you can't get scholarships too, if you're white. As it stands, you're really grasping at straws, if you think that the scholarship and financial aid system, is racist against whites. You have absolutely no proof of that.
I have worked on a scholarship committee for a number of years. Yes, there are indeed many, many scholarships for minorities that are not financially based but rather based on race. This was initially done to encourage minorities to attend college regardless of costs. I have not seen any scholarships for whites, based on race alone.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
All programs for minorities do, is make sure that a school or company, will recruit a fair number of minorities. That's no evidence, that these programs are racists against whites. You sound like another white person, who has a problem with modern-day diversity.

Whites have always, and still do, enjoyed a disproportionate amount of privilege and power, in America. You might not think that you do, but you really do. If you have decent qualifications, then you will get accepted at school, and get a job.

Seems to me, I've heard more about reverse racism towards whites, since the economy went down. So, many whites need to scapegoat programs for minorities, for their own problems getting a job.

Whites still have an advantage though, even in this economy. If not, then why is the unemployment rate for blacks, twice as high as it is for whites? Because of that fact, you can't tell me, that minorities are suddenly monopolizing the workplace these days, and taking all of the jobs away from whites.
Your words alone prove my point, "will recruit a fair number of minorities". They are given an un equal chance to get the job. They are being recruited BECAUSE they are a minority.

"If you have decent qualifications". What happens when the white has BETTER qualifications and the minority gets the position because of race?

That is discrimination. Companies, colleges etc., all have a finite number of positions to fill. If they have 10 positions to fill they and are forced to fill even 1 of those position with someone who is less qualified in order to fulfill a quota or "in the name of diversity", that is discrimination.

And there is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. There is either discrimination or there is not.

"why is the unemployment rate for blacks, twice as high as it is for whites? ' I answered this before. 60 to 70% of blacks drop out of high school.

You tell me, what does this mean to you,? " Section 703 (a) made it unlawful for an employer to "fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions or privileges or employment, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin."

Some may read my posts and think I don't want minorities hired etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Civil Rights act was to abolish discrimination, to create an even playing field for all.

Was there discrimination prior to that bill being enacted? Damn right. Was it fair? Hell no. You can never make up for past wrongs by doing wrongs now.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
I live in Los Angeles, and I have plenty of ex-friends in S Central who's family structure was entirely set up by working the system. Experience trumps words every time.

One of my friends has three half brothers, none are from the same father. I know quite well the situation, thanks.
I love it when someone has 1 or 2 "friends" and then proceed to generalize like they are an expert about everything and everyone else based on that limited experience.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have worked on a scholarship committee for a number of years. Yes, there are indeed many, many scholarships for minorities that are not financially based but rather based on race. This was initially done to encourage minorities to attend college regardless of costs. I have not seen any scholarships for whites, based on race alone.
That's because some students buy into the anti-minority lies and are too lazy to even look....

Scholarships that Target White Ethnicities -- Diversity is also White

Irish American Scholarships

NIAF

Scottish American Scholarships | eHow.com

Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I would imagine there are not too many minority Irish or Scottish. Thus, your point is proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies