Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:56 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,445 times

Advertisements

Obama to ask agency heads for budget cuts (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090418/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_economy - broken link)
Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Saturday he will ask all of his department and agency heads for specific proposals for cutting their budgets at his Cabinet meeting early next week as he searches for ways to streamline government spending.
Obama, who is attending the Summit of the Americas in Trinidad this weekend, said in his weekly radio and Internet address that he would make the request for cuts Monday at a Cabinet meeting.
"In the coming weeks, I will be announcing the elimination of dozens of government programs shown to be wasteful or ineffective," he said. "In this effort, there will be no sacred cows and no pet projects. All across America, families are making hard choices, and it's time their government did the same."
Call me crazy but I'm starting to wonder if a centrist third party (hahahahah! like that will ever happen!) may be the best thing for the U.S.

...the best of both worlds.

Or as this site says, "not left or right but forward."
Who is a Centrist & what is Centrism?

Until that day I guess we can be thankful to have Obama...who represents the best of both parties.
At least to me...I know many on this forum will disagree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
Obama wasn't kidding when he said he admired Reagan over Clinton..

Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,477 times
Cutting wasteful spending is always a good thing. I guess I'm a centrist as a social liberal and fiscal conservative.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,445 times
FRANKIE117:
At first I cringed when he mentioned his conservative heros...but now I see it less like a tug-of-war
that 'The Left' has to pull like crazy and pass as many bills as possible *just to balance out* 'The Right'
who is pulling madly on their end...when it's their turn.

Now I think the strongest / best thing you can do as pres. is keep your composure and balance in the storm and keep moving forward.
By the way do you have a link to that quote? I'd love to be able to reference that.

LogicIsYourFriend:
Yeah that's kinda where I stand

'Whatever works for America'

Fix the system.....tighten up the requirements.
Don't 'throw the baby out with the bathwater' as relates to social saftey nets though.

I mean I don't mind paying taxes...even taxes I won't see again...if it's going to the right places
and being used wisely. It seems cheaper (and morally better) to help someone go to school and
educate them....help them with opportunities to make legit money than it is to lock them up.

It's just frightening (and tiring) to me that our nation is as divided as it is and constantly swinging back and forth
every eight years. Also that people are in their own little reality bubbles and not communicating (calmly) with 'the enemy' (i.e. fellow Americans!).

Etc.

Sorry for going on and on....I just care about this type of stuff for some reason.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
"With the process of going through the budget line by line in full swing, the President uses his Weekly Address to give some examples, big and small, of how the Administration is working to cut costs and eliminate waste."

Yay!

Here's the video of the weekly address -

The White House - Blog Post - Weekly Address: Efficiency and Innovation

Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Soooooooo, without mentioning it, Obama is saying the tea parties had some impact and he's neutralizing the situation. Good for him.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Soooooooo, without mentioning it, Obama is saying the tea parties had some impact and he's neutralizing the situation. Good for him.
Cutting the budget has been in the works for some time... since, say, the campaign?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:10 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Define wasteful. That will be the problem. Earlier this week, in one of these threads someone suggested scrapping our carriers and replacing them with frigates. Elsewhere there is a currently active thread where the OP demands that Social Security not be paid because he seemingly can't tell the difference between it and AFDC and blames the Baby Boomers for it. A few days ago there was exulting over the suspension of the F22 program, even though the aircraft it is slated to replace are starting to fall out of the sky.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
HAHAHAHA.....riiiight.

Obama just came up with his budget-cutting ideas. He never mentioned, back in mid-2008, his intentions to cut the budget line by line. He's only doing it now because he saw tens of morons parading around with tea bags.

Get a clue.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Define wasteful. That will be the problem. Earlier this week, in one of these threads someone suggested scrapping our carriers and replacing them with frigates. Elsewhere there is a currently active thread where the OP demands that Social Security not be paid because he seemingly can't tell the difference between it and AFDC and blames the Baby Boomers for it. A few days ago there was exulting over the suspension of the F22 program, even though the aircraft it is slated to replace are starting to fall out of the sky.
True. It will be interesting to see what programs Obama and his cabinet members define as wasteful or ineffectual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies