Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Notably, Iran has closer ties with Armenia than with Azerbaijan, however counterintuitive that may appear to you flag-waving illiterate types.
When and where did I say anything about Iranian relations with Armenia or Azerbijan?

The poster was merely assuming that we are ignorant about that part of the world. I was merely showing that I was not.

So, please, shove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
When and where did I say anything about Iranian relations with Armenia or Azerbijan?
You blatantly implied there was something sinister in the fact that Azerbaijan has bad relations with Armenia, and don't even try ****ing denying it. I merely pointed out the obvious fact that politics in that part of the world are usually complicated and trans-religious. That's something that is usually beyond the ken of the talk radio demographic. If you're the exception to the rule, I apologize.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's because words cost nothing, and can be broken at whim...no one wants a ton a refugees taking up social welfare and begging in the streets.
Yes, and they also need the Palestinian refugees to use as pawns so they can demonize Israel. Many people don't realize that for years Israel has offered the Palestinians homes, and thousands left the camps. But the PLO warned that their families would be killed, so many stayed. More recently militant groups like Hamas and Fatah killed Palestinian refugees in a plot to blame Israel and start more violence. Reports were filed by humanitarian organizations like Amnesty International.

Palestinian refugees are treated very poorly in other countries, Lebanon for example. They are barred from working, so most families live in poverty.

In Israel there are millions of people from Arab nations who live and work, have the right to vote & send their children to school. Go to any other ME country and you won't find that kind of freedom.

There have been many other refugees that are overlooked, and they aren't Palestinian. This might surprise some people.

The Middle East's Forgotton Refugees (http://www.fsmitha.com/com/semha.htm - broken link)

Maybe it's just something I don't understand, but there are over 1.2 billion Muslims in the world, about 20% of the population. OTOH there are only about 5.4 million Jews living in Israel and a total of about 13 million in the entire world which is fraction of a percent. I'm not great in math, but 1% of 6.7 billion would be 67 million, so 13 million is less than 1/4 of 1%, right? Which group do you think is fighting for its very survival?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You blatantly implied there was something sinister in the fact that Azerbaijan has bad relations with Armenia, and don't even try ****ing denying it. I merely pointed out the obvious fact that politics in that part of the world are usually complicated and trans-religious. That's something that is usually beyond the ken of the talk radio demographic. If you're the exception to the rule, I apologize.
Listen, goober, I also mentioned that it was a former Soviet republic. So I was implying that there is some sort of commie, Islamic fundamentalist partnership?

I was talking about the general culture and history of the region. Nothing more.

I could have also mentioned that Iran produces a surprising amount of fruit for a mostly desert and mountainous country, but you'd try to turn it into something sinister.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 AM

236 posts, read 387,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I know that I am not Burgerflipper, but I will anwser your challenge.

Iranians (well, about half of them) speak Farsi.

Also, Azerbaijan is majority Muslim and a former Soviet republic and has a history of conflict with its neighboring Armenians.
And that is right! We live in an unstable region. And Iran supports Armenia (not formally muslim Azerbaijan) because of 20 mln Azeris living there. In 1828 as a result of war in Caucasus Azerbaijan was divided into two parts between Russia and Persia. Northern Azerbaijan is now the independent Republic of Azerbaijan and Southern Azerbaijan is the north provinces of Iran. So, to avoid any kind of separatism and uprising in South Azerbaijan Iran supports Armenia, the republic that occupied with the major help of Russia 20% of our territories. Azerbaijan is very close to Turkey. Our languages are 70% identical. Also Azerbaijan is US ally in the region.
I said it is too complicated... But will you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
I live in Azerbaijan, neighbouring country and you don't even know I guess what language Iranians speak. Don't check with shmikipedia!
It's pretty widely known Farsi is one of two primary languages spoken in Iran. So, after everything you have posted, the impression I'm getting is that you are betting all your cards on the s-300 defense system?

Do you know how asanine that sounds? I truly hope it never comes down to that, but if that's your survival strategy, I would be digging a hole in my spare time.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If Israel attacks Iran the consequences should be on their heads. We do not need to continue to support another blatant aggressor in the Middle East.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
And that is right! We live in an unstable region. And Iran supports Armenia (not formally muslim Azerbaijan) because of 20 mln Azeris living there. In 1828 as a result of war in Caucasus Azerbaijan was divided into two parts between Russia and Persia. Northern Azerbaijan is now the independent Republic of Azerbaijan and Southern Azerbaijan is the north provinces of Iran. So, to avoid any kind of separatism and uprising in South Azerbaijan Iran supports Armenia, the republic that occupied with the major help of Russia 20% of our territories. Azerbaijan is very close to Turkey. Our languages are 70% identical. Also Azerbaijan is US ally in the region.
I said it is too complicated... But will you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
Aren't you over inflating the significance of Azerbaijan and Armenia? To an extent, you are doing the same with Iran.

That is one of your regions problems. They demand first class international status, yet, refuse human rights, economic prosperity, and democracy.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM

314 posts, read 1,037,067 times
A lot of onesidedness and blind racism in this thread as expected considering its pretty much the picture your media paints.

Its a shame AK can't speak english because he never said anything about wiping israel off the map. He thinks the current governmnt of Israel should cease because of its racist policies, ruthless agression against civilians and occupation. What exactly makes Iran a trouble maker? A nuclear program (which we aren't sure of its purpose)? How can one justify Israel having nukes but their neighbors can't?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
A lot of onesidedness and blind racism in this thread as expected considering its pretty much the picture your media paints.

Its a shame AK can't speak english because he never said anything about wiping israel off the map. He thinks the current governmnt of Israel should cease because of its racist policies, ruthless agression against civilians and occupation. What exactly makes Iran a trouble maker? A nuclear program (which we aren't sure of its purpose)? How can one justify Israel having nukes but their neighbors can't?
I don't know, maybe the funding and arms support for terrorist organizations... Maybe the direct affiliation with Pakistani nuclear physicist A. Q. Khan (which was not directed toward domestic energy production).

Maybe their efforts to destabilize Iraq? Once again, human rights violations. I could go on and on but many people in that region are the blind ones. They refuse logic for a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies