Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 AM

279 posts, read 415,765 times

Advertisements

rlchurch,

If you truly were in the military then you know that our Bothers & Sisters in the military at this moment swore allegience to the U.S. Constitution & not to the President nor the Government. Which means if these States go about this in a Constitutional way,which the President & the Government has not done, the Military will not take up arms against their own people.

If you think they will then you are out of touch with reality & the U. S. Constitution.

ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES & LET THE BATTLE BEGIN
GOD BLESS TEXAS & THE U.S.MILITARY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgun View Post
rlchurch,

If you truly were in the military then you know that our Bothers & Sisters in the military at this moment swore allegience to the U.S. Constitution & not to the President nor the Government. Which means if these States go about this in a Constitutional way,which the President & the Government has not done, the Military will not take up arms against their own people.

If you think they will then you are out of touch with reality & the U. S. Constitution.

Nonsense, You've never served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oath of enlistment
I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
Troops will follow their officers.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Nonsense, You've never served.

Troops will follow their officers.
Soldiers have a duty to disobey unlawful orders. Those that obey unlawful orders are criminals and will be treated as such by the states.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I can't be bothered to wade through this thread so I hope that this post isn't too redundant but...

The Declaration of Independence is not the law of the land, never has been.

Second, the issue of unilateral secession was not only settled by the Civil War but the Supreme Court decision in Texas v White.
Our founding fathers would not have outlawed something they consider a fundamental right of people (namely, to abolish, and replace, governments). And they didn't. Secession is not prohibited in the Constitution. TX v White isn't worth the paper it was written on.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
TX v White isn't worth the paper it was written on.
Yeah, Wallace, and Ross Barnett had the same theory about Brown v Board of Education. It didn't work for them either.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Soldiers have a duty to disobey unlawful orders. Those that obey unlawful orders are criminals and will be treated as such by the states.
Shooting a secessionist is a legal order.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM

279 posts, read 415,765 times
rlchurch,

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgun View Post

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

Officers take a different oath. As an officer, I was educated well enough to understand that "defending the Constitution" meant that I followed all legal orders. What wingnutswho have never served seem to think is that individuals get to interpret the Constitution. That's a complete fallacy that any current or former commissioned officer would just laugh at. States attempting to secede by force are involved in armed insurrection, which I as a commissioned officer would be obliged to put down. States attempting to secede by lawsuit at the Supreme Court, would not be involved in any action that warranted military intervention.

Since enlisted take an oath to obey their officers and officers are going to obey the legal orders of the chain of command. The military could be used to put down any armed secession effort. In fact it would probably be handled by federal law enforcement, as it was at Waco.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, Wallace, and Ross Barnett had the same theory about Brown v Board of Education. It didn't work for them either.
No comparison. TX v White's commentary on secession is purely non-binding dicta, and is merely Salmon Chase's own incoherent personal rambling about his views of American history (the case was about bonds, secession was not the issue at hand). He flat out ignores the fact the Constitution does not prohibit secession and the 10th Amendment reserves all such non-prohibited pwoers to the states and people, he quotes the Articles of Confederation entirely out of context as the main basis for his argument, and he ignores what the founding fathers firmly believed in as written in the Declaration of Independence. A kid could tear his argument to pieces.

In Brown v. Board of Education, Blacks were being deprived of equal rights/privileges, that was a 14th Amendment issue.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Shooting a secessionist is a legal order.
No it would not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies