Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- As President Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon talk tough about cracking down on the deadly drug war, the United States is changing tactics in the battle against illegal narcotics at home.

White House tries to combat drug demand with rehab - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
(CNN) -- As President Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon talk tough about cracking down on the deadly drug war, the United States is changing tactics in the battle against illegal narcotics at home.

White House tries to combat drug demand with rehab - CNN.com
Rehab only works for those who want to quit abusing drugs. Judge can send someone to rehab but if they don't want to quit, they'll go right back to abusing drugs.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Rehab only works for those who want to quit abusing drugs. Judge can send someone to rehab but if they don't want to quit, they'll go right back to abusing drugs.
While I agree with what you said, I believe that Obama is instituting this new policy as more of an alternative to the ridiculous number of non-violent offenders who are overflowing in our prison system. Drug rehab provides an alternate course of action, which could reduce the number of inmates in prisons on drug charges, and could *potentially* help change bad behavior better than a regular prison sentence would.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:44 AM

607 posts, read 922,814 times
L-E-G-A-L-I-Z-E. Then the drug wars and killing END.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 AM

It'll reduce the prison population until their repeated offenses get so high that they have no choice but to put them in prison or they kill someone either in a drug deal gone bad or in an OWI car wreck. Louisiana is too easy on drunk drivers and our state's laws make it too easy to drink and drive. Want a daiquiri? We have drive thru daiquiri buisnesses around the state. Cops posted cars nearby these businesses when they opened and began arrest for open containers or drinking and driving. A judge threw out the cases as entrapment and harassment. Cops got the message from the legislators and the judge and stopped going after the customers and business. Our jails have a revolving door for DUI or OWI. Takes someone getting killed before they actually go to prison. My uncle has been in rehab several times. Still drinks, smokes pot, and possibly does other drugs and he still drives. Our family has given up on him. He's given up on himself. Doctors told him if he doesn't quit drinking he'll die within a year because his liver is failing. I wish they would put him in prison cause if they don't either he'll die or he'll kill someone.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
L-E-G-A-L-I-Z-E. Then the drug wars and killing END.
legalizing won't end the killing. The killing will only shift onto our nation's roads.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:12 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
First the drug cartel's will always sell the drugs cheaper than the GOV will. So the cartels and killings will exist still. Also we are not only talking about weed here, there are some horrible and deadly drugs out there too that I can not imagine the government making legal. Cocaine and Heorine shops????

Anyway honestly the BEST way to stop usage would be make punishments more harsh. But that would anger a lot of people and fill up the justice system too much. I say fine them. First time $1,000 second $2,000 3rd $6,000 4th $10,000 5th one year min in prison and $25,000. This should be for ANY drug charge no matter the drug. This could get some people thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies