Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with this case?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/us/04felony.html

If you can't access the NYTimes

Ryan Holle Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times
I wasn't familiar with the case until just now, but yes, I think he should be in prison for the exact reasons stated by the ASA in the article you linked.

Without the guy's car, there would have been no crime. Evidently, it was proven that he had prior knowledge that the others were planning to use his car in the commission of their crime, and he lent it to them anyway. Not quite Aiding & Abetting, but pretty damn close. With the limited information provided, I'd say that he could have prevented the crime from happening by not lending his car. He lent it anyway, even though he knew what the others were planning to do, so he should be punished accordingly.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:36 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
He knew their plans. It's ashame, but he is just as guilty.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM

I don't think he should be given a life sentence because it's very debatable whether or not he actually knew or took those guys seriously when they told him of their "plans". He had been drinking and parting so his judgement wasn't clear. Plus he wasn't actually there with them.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
According to the doctrine, everyone on the highway should be given a ticket when one person is getting a ticket because they aided in increasing the average speed.

No, of course he shouldn't be charged and sentenced to life. That's just stupid, especially with the evidence provided in this case. The person(s) committing the crime hold the guilt, not someone who gives them an accessory.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
Now, what is the rule we've learned here?

If the police ask if you lent your car or gun or whatever to someone, you say "hell no, they stole it from me. I just discovered it gone this morning."

Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
In this case, the law (as Mr Bumble said) is indeed an ass.
If this car had broken down on the way to the scene of the crime, and someone had stopped and helped these men to fix the car, the person, according to the law in Florida would be just as guilty as Mr Holle,
because he helped them travel to the crime scene.
And the moral of this story is, never lend anything to a person living in florida.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
And the moral of this story is, never lend anything to a person living in florida.
That tv show COPS does seem to tape many of them in Florida. LOL

Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 AM

34 posts, read 94,013 times
I just read the article. had not heard about this previously.

I think some jail time would have been appropriate, but life in prison when he wasnt even at the scene is crazy

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
In this case, the law (as Mr Bumble said) is indeed an ass.
If this car had broken down on the way to the scene of the crime, and someone had stopped and helped these men to fix the car, the person, according to the law in Florida would be just as guilty as Mr Holle,
because he helped them travel to the crime scene.

No, and I hope you are more logical than that in your daily life. If a stranger helped them, without any knowledge of their destination or intent, they are not guilty, and could could not be construed as accomplices. The determining factor here is that he KNEW about their intended actions, and provided the means for them to carry them out.

If your friend asked to borrow your gun so he could kill his boss, would you lend it to him?

Think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies