Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,525,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And before you ask, I speak from experience: I worked in the student loan industry during both its peak and its fall, federal and private. There are so many women who have debt they don't even know about: mothers who just sign on the line for their kids, women going back to college who sign paperwork and don't even know they've just extended over $100,000 worth of debt to go to school - and the shock hits them when they get done and can't find a job fresh out.
Wait, wait. You're saying that many of those folks don't read what they're signing? Or ask questions? Sounds about right for people over the last 10 years. Trust the lender... yeah, right.

Quote:
Assuming your statement is factual...just because more women than men attend college, doesn't mean those women are necessarily able to afford college. When I say afford, I mean that you are fully paid up on college AND all of your regular bills. A lot of women struggle on that point. Not all. But quite a few do. If you went out on the streets and surveyed women in general about student loans I guarantee you the majority of them don't know what their options are. They're also the ones most taken advantage of by banks and lenders who assume that females are generally helpless when it comes to financial management - unfortunately, that general statement is often true - and I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.
It IS factual. The university system in this country has a ratio of about 55-64% female, depending on the study.
The Crossover in Female-Male College Enrollment Rates - Population Reference Bureau

The place where it's different is in sciences and engineering (usually about 80% male). Now you're saying that those women can't necessarily afford college. Well, the same can be said for the men. The same can be said for the entire middle class for America! I mean, you worked for the student loan industry... you should know that!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,364,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
Purdue not the only school with mystery donor | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)

This guy has donated at least $45 million to schools in the last month. With the stipulation that the money be used on scholarships for everyone except white males. All while forcing the schools not to look into his identity.

What do you think about this? I think that the schools should reject the funds. They have no idea how this person got all of this money, and it seems racist to give scholarships to everyone except white males.

I didn't see where it said the anonymous donor is a guy.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,335,138 times
I had trouble getting the fox page to load, so while I was waiting I googled looking for other articles. No other papers mention a "women and minorities" stipulation. Not your Purdue article, nor the original AP article, The Associated Press: Mystery donors give over $45M to 9 universities
No such stipulation in the Colorado press Mystery donor aids CU-Springs - The Denver Post Nor in this one Million-Dollar Mystery: Anonymous Donors Even the Colleges Don't Know - Chronicle.com

Nor this one specifically about UMUC with quotes from the University officals telling how they plan to use both need and merit-based criteria, along with some of it going to the spouses of active-duty or retired military service members. The story is the donor remaining anonymous, not how the funds will be used. UMUC Gets $6M Anonymous Gift...With Strings | NBC Washington

Every article states 2 stipulations: anonymity and most of the money must go for student scholarships.

Yet Fox claims white male discrimination?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,042,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
I had trouble getting the fox page to load, so while I was waiting I googled looking for other articles. No other papers mention a "women and minorities" stipulation. Not your Purdue article, nor the original AP article, The Associated Press: Mystery donors give over $45M to 9 universities
No such stipulation in the Colorado press Mystery donor aids CU-Springs - The Denver Post Nor in this one Million-Dollar Mystery: Anonymous Donors Even the Colleges Don't Know - Chronicle.com

Nor this one specifically about UMUC with quotes from the University officals telling how they plan to use both need and merit-based criteria, along with some of it going to the spouses of active-duty or retired military service members. The story is the donor remaining anonymous, not how the funds will be used. UMUC Gets $6M Anonymous Gift...With Strings | NBC Washington

Every article states 2 stipulations: anonymity and most of the money must go for student scholarships.

No, even Faux doesnt go that far - I think it's the OP.

Faux sez:

"The donor requested that the university swear in writing not to try to uncover his or her identity. The other stipulation was that $5 million of the money go to scholarships for women and minorities.

"UMUC is free do to whatever they would like with the other million."

O welly welly well!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,042,483 times
The OP's Purdue link only says,

"All the schools had to agree not to investigate the identity of the giver. Some were required to make such a promise in writing....Each [donation] was delivered since March 1 and came with the same stipulation: Most of the money must be used for student scholarships, and the remainder can be spent on various costs such as research, equipment, strategic goals and operating support."

Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,010,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Yes, there are scholarships that are DIRECTED TOWARDS certain groups, and I don't think that is racist/sexist because maybe the donor has some connection with that group. However, this particular scholarship is inherently racist because it specifies whom to keep it away from. "Everyone but white males," sounds very similar to "everyone but black males." It's not encouraging a specific group to excel, but instead saying that it doesn't want a group to progress.
It does NOT say "everyone but white males". That is the invention of the OP - designed to stir the pot.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,010,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post

Great links. Thanks for posting.

What a shame that such a generous and wonderful gift is being twisted by the OP to try and get a rise out of people in such a racist manner.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,525,925 times
Quote:
It does NOT say "everyone but white males". That is the invention of the OP - designed to stir the pot.
I went back and read the article (didn't have time before), and you're right. So that was my bad. I guess the OP heard 5 million goes to women and minorities, and therefore thought white males are excluded from that 5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies