Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was totally opposed to warrentless wiretaps and pretty much all the Patriot Act stuff when it was put into effect by GW Bush. To me it seemed like neo Facisim. But as I watch the militant right stew about, I am changing my mind. It is not really the Arabs I worry about so much as the kinds of Americans I see at "tea parties". Some of these folks are quite dangerous to our country and need to be watched.
There you go! The real menace is the right-wing fanatics, who disagree with trillions of dollars in unnecessary debt to burden our children with.

0bama and Napolitano have found the real enemy, frugally-conservative, domestic political oppositionists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
This is a good example of why the founding fathers went to such extreme lengths to limit the powers of the federal government. They were a mixed bag politically, but they all recognized that the only way to prevent abuse was to specifically forbid certain practices. That guaranteed the safety of all. The argument you hear today "Its OK when we do it, because we are in the right" is not a new argument. Now most of those guarantees have been effectively eliminated and each successive Administration adds to the work of the ones before.
When Clinton used the NSA and the Echelon program, he was fighting international drug trafficking and protecting international trade, Bush used it for his war on terror, and now 0bama uses it to monitor the evil tea party groups.

You are correct though, people who liked Bill Clinton were unalarmed, then were frightened that Bush was spying on them, and now feel safe with 0bama in charge. We should be vigilant against any potentially abusive power being given to the government; we have seen enough corrupt, self serving politicians, to not trust any of them.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
When Clinton used the NSA and the Echelon program, he was fighting international drug trafficking and protecting international trade, Bush used it for his war on terror, and now 0bama uses it to monitor the evil tea party groups.

You are correct though, people who liked Bill Clinton were unalarmed, then were frightened that Bush was spying on them, and now feel safe with 0bama in charge. We should be vigilant against any potentially abusive power being given to the government; we have seen enough corrupt, self serving politicians, to not trust any of them.

I agree. The question is really whether we dare open the door at all, or whether we are wise enough to open it and use it wisely. The founding fathers clearly didn't think so, and neither do I.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
[quote=sanrene;8427837]Who do you think you are kidding?

We all know why you are "changing" your mind. It's because obama, a dem, is now in the WH.

See, now that you've lost any credibility you might have had and gave up the ghost on your intellectual honesty - you won't have to hide from the threads that criticize obama for doing what bush and going far beyond in fact.

You can wade into those threads about obama trashing/shredding the constitution with a clear conscience - well, clear enough for a liberal, that is.

Tell me; What exactly has the "militant right" done to change your mind.[/QUOTE]

Watchdog Politics Examiner: Hate groups in America increasing ...Hate groups in America increasing during economic recession by local Watchdog ... White-skinned extremists depicted Barack Obama on the cover of National ...
www.examiner.com/x-2547-Watchdog-Politics-Examiner~y2009m3d28-Hate-groups-in-America-increasing-during-econo (broken link)... - 76k - Cached - Similar pages
CBS Fears ‘Right Wing Extremism May Increase’

Often, I wonder if you are a member of one of these groups, based on your posts.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
The difference is, even though I'm not really in favor of the NSA activity that Bush started and Obama won't get rid of (at least totally) is Obama is more likely to use it responsibly, IMO, where as the Bush administration abused it, like syping on Democrats and folks who had nothing to do with terrorism.
Some of these right wing fringe groups talk about views that are not that different from what McVeigh believed in, so I can see the OP's point.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
It is not really the Arabs I worry about so much as the kinds of Americans I see at "tea parties".
Maybe if you actually went to one instead of relying on Kos and Huffington Post to educate you about them, you'd know how ridiculous you sound.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM

438 posts, read 831,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Maybe if you actually went to one instead of relying on Kos and Huffington Post to educate you about them, you'd know how ridiculous you sound.
Ha ha ha..and the liberals paint the right as paranoid. What hypocrites. And yes, knocking these protests when you were not even there speaks volumes of your hypocrisy and ignorance. Keep us amused KevK!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
I was totally opposed to warrentless wiretaps and pretty much all the Patriot Act stuff when it was put into effect by GW Bush. To me it seemed like neo Facisim. But as I watch the militant right stew about, I am changing my mind. It is not really the Arabs I worry about so much as the kinds of Americans I see at "tea parties". Some of these folks are quite dangerous to our country and need to be watched.
Yes there were other people who share your view, you are in good company.

FBI tracked King's every move - CNN.com

I guess it is OK depending on who rights are being violated?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,222 times
Anyone notice the whole point of them starting the thread was to do a hit and run? Nothing like watching someone start something to create controversy and then run away from their own thread. Nothing to see there.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Warrantless wiretaps were not put into effect by the Bush administstration; it was being done during the Clinton administration, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies