Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oh ok. I see.

Perhaps its their way of saving face?

In my experience, Americans come right out and say they don't know and don't care with a bit of the pride you describe. Europeans don't know either, but they're going to comment and lecture anyway.

So both are ignorant, but one is more honest about it.
This is absolutely true in my experience with Europeans, as well. God forbid a French person be wrong about something.

Europeans rely on the media for their information about world affairs, just as Americans do. The difference is that the media is at least partly government-controlled in many European nations. When I lived in Paris for a year, every time a story came on the news about the U.S., it was about what a low standard of living Americans enjoyed, complete with background photos and/or film of the American "ghetto." And forget about them having any knowledge of American (North or South) geography. As I wrote in another thread on this topic, for most Europeans, the U.S. drops off at Long Island and doesn't pick up again until California (except for Florida, of course). Their knowledge of American history, such as it is, is weirdly skewed, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneshintzy View Post
This is something that has always perplexed me. There are Americans who know little of the world outside of their own country (or, indeed, state), but are open to learning about these places. However, there seems to be a significant minority of Americans who are not only ignorant of the world, but who revel in this ignorance.

Perhaps knowledge of the Basque and Catalonian questions, the situation in Northern Ireland, the rise of fascist elements in western Europe, etc. is something which will never impact on their lives in any way. But this arrogant world view held by some Americans is something I've always found very odd.

I think our country is a great one. But people who claim it "the greatest country in the world" with no knowledge of the outside world, and with ignorant views about conditions in the countries they denigrate? Something that's always bothered me....
Some Americans are very astute about world events. Some Americans are not. Some Europeans are astute aboutworld events some are not.

Stop the Americans are ignorant rhetoric. Some are , some are not.
Some French people are arrogant some are not.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
The US tends to dominate world news so when I trave to Europe, the people there are much, much more educated about US issues than vice-versa. It does not mean that they understand it all very well but they are certainly more aware than Americans are of world issues. Also, the US is just very geographically isolated. We only have two neighbors. Europeans are aware of what is happening in other parts of the EU and they also get a lot of African, Asian and Middle Eastern news because of the legacy of colonialism... they are interested in what is happening in these areas, particularly the British, French and Belgians.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 25,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Some Americans are very astute about world events. Some Americans are not. Some Europeans are astute aboutworld events some are not.

Stop the Americans are ignorant rhetoric. Some are , some are not.
Some French people are arrogant some are not.
I never said any of that.

There are knowledgable Americans, there are ignorant Americans. There are knowldegable Europeans, there are ignorant Europeans.

However, the mindset that nothing outside of one's own country is worth consideration and the taking of a certain pride in this ignorance, is something I said I found to be far more prevalent in America.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
That stereotype of "Europeans" (a fairly wide-ranging group, of course), that they "don't know either, but they're going to comment and lecture anyway", is not one I find to hold true, by and large. The idea that Americans needed to pretend to be Canadians abroad, to make sure not to have US flags on their bags?

Balderdash.
Well, having lived there and travelled extensively, I found it to be quite true. Europeans, by and large, get their information from movies. Therefore, what would they know about America?

The Canadian Flag on the American backpack is an urban legend on par with Bigfoot and gators in the sewers.

As an American in Europe, lots of people wanted to debate me, drink with me, sleep with me, etc. Its the closest I ever came to being treated like a rock star. Why would I squelch that by putting a maple leaf on my baggage.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 AM

236 posts, read 387,161 times
Quote:
This is something that has always perplexed me. There are Americans who know little of the world outside of their own country (or, indeed, state), but are open to learning about these places. However, there seems to be a significant minority of Americans who are not only ignorant of the world, but who revel in this ignorance.

Perhaps knowledge of the Basque and Catalonian questions, the situation in Northern Ireland, the rise of fascist elements in western Europe, etc. is something which will never impact on their lives in any way. But this arrogant world view held by some Americans is something I've always found very odd.

I think our country is a great one. But people who claim it "the greatest country in the world" with no knowledge of the outside world, and with ignorant views about conditions in the countries they denigrate? Something that's always bothered me....
Thank you, dear dwayneshintzy!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
As I wrote in another thread on this topic, for most Europeans, the U.S. drops off at Long Island and doesn't pick up again until California (except for Florida, of course). Their knowledge of American history, such as it is, is weirdly skewed, as well.
This is reflected in their migration choices to the U.S. as well. They tend to migrate to NY, FL and CA.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
The US tends to dominate world news so when I trave to Europe, the people there are much, much more educated about US issues than vice-versa. It does not mean that they understand it all very well but they are certainly more aware than Americans are of world issues. Also, the US is just very geographically isolated. We only have two neighbors. Europeans are aware of what is happening in other parts of the EU and they also get a lot of African, Asian and Middle Eastern news because of the legacy of colonialism... they are interested in what is happening in these areas, particularly the British, French and Belgians.

Well, it is akin to a Marylander being interested in knowing what is going on in Delaware and West Virginia. That's what happens when entire countries are the size of one of our states.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
But that isn't my point. From my experience of people in Europe, yes; there are many who are ignorant of the world, and also many who have at least a basic grasp of many foreign situations, much like the US.

But this revelry in ignorance is something I find to be far more prevalent amongst Americans than many other peoples.
Please provide some examples of this "revelry in ignorance".

Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 PM

84 posts, read 320,703 times
A lot of ignorant comments... In the US, people don't realize what impact american culture has on other countries, but since the american culture has such an impact on other countries in Europe, THEY, ofcourse know more about the american culture than americans do about European culture...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies